What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Yeah, I am avoiding godzilla all together right now because of that.

I am a bit interested in Edge of Tomorrow, it looks intriguing, but tom cruise always seems off putting anymore.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:06 am

I hate Tom Cruise. Can't stand watching him in most things because I already know he's such a psycho cunt in real life. There are a couple exceptions; Collateral is pretty great either way, and The Last Samurai is good enough that I can tough out the fact that he's in it.
The worst thing about him, though, is that he so often takes roles in movies that I would probably really want to see, if only he weren't in them. Edge of Tomorrow would look great to me. Seems like it's got a cool direction going for it, and I already love Emily Blunt. But nope, he just has to be in it...
And it doesn't even seem to make sense, either. He's supposed to be a rookie soldier or something in it, right? The dude is in his 50s.

OL has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:28 am

I just happened to stumble over Collateral last week and kept watching it (for the first time). It's a great movie. Sure, it's not one of the best ever made (although that's highly subjective), but it's really a nice movie to watch. Would watch again.
Last edited by CodingGenesis on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:56 am

CodingGenesis wrote:I just happened to stumble over Collateral last week and kept watching it (for the first time). It's a great movie. Sure, it's not one of the best ever made (also that's highly subjective), but it's really a nice movie to watch. Would watch again.

Lol, I think it's Tom Cruise's best performance alongside Minority Report.

I recently watched Locke in cinema (it's okay I suppose) and Captain Phillips at home (I enjoyed it).

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Not a movie but The Wonder Years. I'm doing colonoscopy prep and I'm starving. So, anything to pass the time. As for Godzilla I really liked it. Only Cranston and Watanabe are good in the movie and Godzilla is great in this version.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:42 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:Not a movie but The Wonder Years. I'm doing colonoscopy prep and I'm starving. So, anything to pass the time. As for Godzilla I really liked it. Only Cranston and Watanabe are good in the movie and Godzilla is great in this version.

Im watching the Wonder Years too :)
Good luck with your butt hole!

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Wonder Years will always hold a special place in my heart. Just got home from the colonoscopy. Everything went fine. Just a tiny polyp. I'm only 30 but both grandfathers died of colon cancer. The doc said I'm good for another 5-7 years.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Axm
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Just watched Lost in Translation. Thought it was very good, though not as good as Before Sunrise. This movie had the advantage of having a longer time to build a connection between the two characters, but I never really fully bought it , they were too much of an odd and unbelievable couple on the whole. But then again it was believable, as nothing really materializes, as least romantically, that was more of a fantasy for both of them, and they knew it.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Axm
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:07 am

The Making of Cinderella
phpBB [video]

I had no clue they filmed the whole thing in live action just to give reference for the animators.
When they started talking about the music I got hit right in the feels. That "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" song is so good.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Kenny
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 am

Finally got around to the extended/uncut version of The Wolverine. The regular one started coming on HBO recently, so I watched about 20 minutes of that to get the gist of what it'd be like, and decided I liked it enough to buy.
Not disappointed at all. Honestly, I have to say it's probably my favorite of the X-Men-related movies overall (haven't seen DoFP yet though). I've always felt that Wolverine + Japan = win (if handled right, and it's kind of hard to screw up). They really did take a lot of the best aspects of that formula from the comics and did all the right things with it, and even managed to surprise with a few really cool scenes/setups I wouldn't have expected. The opening, with Logan as a prisoner in Nagasaki just as the bomb drops, was really a phenomenal way to start the whole thing. And going from there, it was great to finally see a Wolverine movie where he isn't treated as a costumed superhero, but rather as the tortured loner he always should be. And I think that might lead to the biggest problem with the movie; it basically ends with the promise that he's going back to the X-Men to play around in bigger-scale superhero adventures. No more "angry loner who wishes he could die" stuff for him. And that's, ironically enough, kind of a bummer. I like seeing Hugh Jackman as Logan, pissed as hell, shredding into a bunch of low-level gun thugs.
And ninjas. Always ninjas.
I'll always prefer seeing that kind of thing over seeing him take on other mutants or supervillains and whatnot. Hate to see that possibility go away.
Being the extended cut, it was really nice to see some properly Wolverine-style violence too, and not the neutered kind they usually have to settle for in the PG-13 versions. It wasn't as bloody as it could have been, but there was enough for it to be really faithful to the character.

I feel like this is going to end up a bit like the 2004 version of The Punisher, where I love the movie to pieces, but it ultimately gets forgotten by everyone else in the sea of slightly more mainstream-friendly comicbook flicks. There's a level of maturity, I think, to the storytelling of this one that a lot of people have a hard time appreciating. That sort of slower-paced, long-buildup style, where the movie isn't overly-eager to rush into the action, but once it gets there, it revels in it. It takes almost forty minutes for this one to hit a proper "action scene," but while I love that kind of pacing, I think it'll ultimately cause a lot of people to forget about it.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Yeah, it was my favourite film of last year. It's also my favourite X-Men film as well, but man DOFP was really damn good too, I thought.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:26 am

The Man Who Knew Too Little.
God, what a great movie this is. Been a long time since I last saw it, but it's easily one of Bill Murray's best.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:27 pm

^Such a shame that film isn't more well known. That along with Quick Change (Which he also directed) are some of Murray's best but get no attention.

Also see The Wolverine recently and enjoyed it. None of the X-Men movies have ever stood out to me as amazing most just seem like fun action films and I'd say this is the same. The only one I haven't enjoyed is the other Wolverine film.

Since Wolverine was just talked about I have a question for some comic fans. Why is it that people have a massive issue with mutants but don't give a fuck about Spider-Man or any other Marvel hero?

Finally went to see 22 Jump Street at the cinema today. Loved how it is just a massive fuck you to uninspired Hollywood sequels. Not a rush out and see it movie but don't pass up the chance if it's on TV or something.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Since Wolverine was just talked about I have a question for some comic fans. Why is it that people have a massive issue with mutants but don't give a fuck about Spider-Man or any other Marvel hero?

It's sort of a weird, back and forth kind of thing. It's never exactly been made clear. I think the justification is usually that mutants are born with their abilities in their genetics, signifying an evolutionary change, which is... threatening I guess?
I dunno, it's always been kind of a weak little hole.
Although there have been moments where other superheroes are treated as possible threats as well. Marvel's whole Civil War storyline (which I hate, but that's another issue entirely) dealt with the government trying to pass a kind of superhero registration act, where anyone with abilities would be required to file with the government (since they pose a potential threat and should be under watch).
But yeah, it's still a bit of a hole in the fabric of the Marvel Universe. I've always thought the X-Men and all related mutant characters function best if treated like they exist in their own universe. It would eliminate some of the odder details like that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:04 pm

Teeth.

Holy shit. I'm done. I AM SO DONE.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue