General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:43 pm

riiiiiight? I will definitely but those when they come out. I mean, Bebop is basically my favorite anime of all time. I have never owned it though. These Blu Rays will be a must buy, also funimation are dicks.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Yeah, favorite of all time here too.
I have all of the old original DVDs, so I could watch it... but dammit all, I want it to feel semi-fresh when I get it in HD, so I'm struggling to hold off. I even turned the channel the other night when it was on Adult Swim. It'll feel great to go out to the store and get to buy it once again. Nothing beats a good bit of Bebop for me.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Time for a Cowboy Bebop movie 2. Focus on Jet or something this time. :P Always so focused on Spike all the time.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Making another movie might be challenging, because they'd have to find gaps in the series where another "episode" might fit, but I'm sure they could pull it off.
Personally, I really wouldn't mind seeing sort of a buddy action movie focusing mainly on Spike and Jet together, maybe something just prior to the series, detailing how they teamed up to begin with or something. Part of the appeal of the series is how details about the characters' pasts are often left a little ambiguous, but that's one particular scenario I think they could easily elaborate on without taking anything away from the series as a whole.
Only problem is that it wouldn't involve Faye, Ed, or Ein. And leaving out major characters like that would upset a lot of fans, I'm sure.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 pm

People like Faye?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Faye is the best character in the series, in my opinion.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Raithos
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Going to see Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods in theaters tomorrow! IM PUMPED! Cant wait to see these characters on the big screen!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am

Cowboy Bebop is also my favorite anime ever. It got me into anime and really set the bar for all future anime I would watch. Nothing has lived up to it, but I've certainly seen a lot of exceptional anime. I'd love for CB to be revisited. Shinichiro Watanabe said several years ago "someday... maybe, someday" when asked about more CB.

It would have to include the whole gang though. I'll be wracking my brain for the rest of the day to see where I think they should insert the movie. I LOVE how they put Knockin' on Heaven's Door between Cowboy Funk and Brain Scratch. To fans of the show it's clear when it takes place because Andy is now Musashi but the three old men are still alive. Subtle, but such an awesome way to stick in between two episodes. It might be cool if they pick up right after the Bebop lands on Mars after Toys in the Attic.

If they did decide to make another movie/series that not only means we'd be getting new story, we'd also be getting new MUSIC! And everyone knows that's just as good as the rest of CB.

I've been watching Terror in Resonance. I'm liking it so far. The music is great!

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: OL
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Figured this would be a good place to ask - Is the anime Psycho Pass any good? Anyone seen it?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Here ya go, comes out in December. Kind of expensive being as I already have the DVD's and the movie on Blu Ray. I hope they do a better job with the transfer than they did with Samurai Champloo. I bought that slim pack Funimation released and it looks worse than my original DVD box set because some of the colors were over saturated and certain scenes look blurry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMO ... ascsubtag=

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 pm

The quality should be great. I've seen some comparison pics, and it looks quite nice, sharpening up all the details and making the color a teensy bit bolder. Bebop already looked a little blurry in its original run, so this will remedy that. Even though it isn't widescreen, you can even see more in the frame this time; I didn't think that was possible for this show, but here it is. And Funimation aren't handling the transfer themselves, exactly; the HD materials already exists, so they're really just localizing.

Interesting that there's an Amazon-exclusive version. I wonder if it'll have any special extras or anything (gimme a soundtrack or something!). For a release like this, I'm totally willing to go all out.

OL
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Oh yeah that looks great. I'm glad they are keeping the original aspect ratio of it too, instead of cropping it. I ordered it once I saw it was still 4:3. Man a soundtrack would be awesome, or at least a cool poster or box instead of a snap case. Some of the newer Funimation releases came with cool packaging like Eureka Seven did, so hopefully they will do this one justice. I'm a huge Sunrise fan in general (Bebop, Ronin Warriors, Gundam, etc.) so hopefully since they bought the distribution rights to most of their catalog we will see some other releases in the future.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:55 pm

I heard they got hold of the rights to Outlaw Star... that's one I'd love to see in HD eventually. Something about that show always made me feel good. Just such a great little adventure yarn.
The only Gundam series I really love aside from 08th MS Team is Gundam Wing, so hopefully that'll get a re-release one of these days too. I stupidly sold my DVDs years back. wish I still had those.
And man, it's been forever since I've seen Ronin Warriors. Be nice to get a box set of that someday.
Oh, Escaflowne too.

That's weird, I usually deny being a legitimate "anime fan," because I'm usually so turned off by the current stuff being made. But actually thinking about it now, I really do love a ton of oldies. They just don't make em like they used to.

OL has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 pm

I was thinking earlier today about how the mid to late 90s was a golden age for japan in terms of anime and games from about 94-95 to 98-99 time frame, just an incredible amount of highest of the high in terms of quality from japan in gaming and anime/manga. Idk what got into those people during that time, but I wish it would happen again. May just pre-order those BDs of bebop btw.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm

I don't really know that it can happen again, to be honest. You could almost look at the 90s as the last full decade where the Japanese were making their entertainment specifically for themselves. Head into the 2000s, and suddenly anime became huge worldwide, and as a result they stopped making it just for themselves, and started making more attempts to twist things slightly so they'd also be palatable to other cultures. Sure, it's not true with everything they make, but it became a much bigger trend in how things work. The market expanded, so the target audience widened, and that resulted in a basically different product.
Videogames are kind of a similar case, though the market had always been worldwide for them; it just wasn't worldwide and mainstream. Eventually the technology got more advanced, so things started to become more expensive. And once that got to a certain point, it became much harder to make AAA-quality games primarily aimed at their own country and a niche audience elsewhere; they had to aim much wider to make the financial situation work. And that led to last generation, where in general Japanese games tended to struggle to reach major success, because they weren't quite as sure how to do things anymore.

These are all broad generalizations of course, and there are exceptions all over the place.

OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic