Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:40 am

Thief wrote: I've come to the unfortunate realization that I just don't really care about videogames much anymore -- I spend too much time looking at games on the internet, reading about them and what not, but I don't really care. I don't want to play them -- even when I try to I quickly lose interest (Shin Megami Tensei IV or Tales of Symphonia recently). The only games that manage to keep my interest recently are the one's I'm trying to speedrun, Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night, and that's because once I start to speedrun them they become more of an illusion of a challenge to improve myself rather than a videogame.

There are games that if they were released I would play them without a moment's hesitation (such as Shenmue) but for right now I just don't care. This fuckin' sucks.

I'm in a similar boat. There are games I'd like to play but at $60 I just can't afford a new game unless I really want to play it. And there are few games that I really want to play anymore. Most of those are established franchises too.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Sonikku
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm kinda in the same boat as you Thief and Elfshadow. I still think videos games are the bee's knees and play them occasionally, but I'm so into my other hobbies right now that I just don't have the leftover passion to sit there for hours at a time like I used to.

Don't let it get you down, though. You don't have to like video games. They're supposed to be fun. If they stop being fun its ok to leave them behind.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 pm

It comes and goes in cycles for me. Just drop them for now and do whatever you want. Don't ever feel pressured into doing something you aren't enjoying, just because that's all you think you like. I'm personally into them again now and enjoying them, but it's happened to me plenty of times - same thing happens to me with movies, sometimes I just get burned out and have had enough for a while. Maybe your passion will be reignited if certain game IPs get revived or new and exciting ones get created or maybe it just won't at all.

It's essentially just entertainment at the end of the day and if it's not entertaining you, what's the point?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:09 pm

I buy them but don't play them. It's shit but it's part of growin up. Unlucky pal.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Raithos
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 pm

I have been in a similar gaming drought before. Its no secret that I hate most of todays games, hate alot of indie, dont like where the direction of the industry is going, how saturated it is now, and im clinging on to the games and genres I do like for dear life, despite the fact there is significantly less of them, than this time 10 years ago. I feel the need to support them to the bitter end (which hopefully never happens but I am not counting it out). As of right now, I am more into gaming than I have been in a while, i have played alot this summer, and it has all been games and experiences I have loved for years, plus mix some old school systems and games into that, and its pretty easy for my love for gaming to have gotten rejuvenated. It will hopefully come back for you too, but I can understand why someone would get fed up with the BS of gaming today and need a break. When the fun comes back so will you.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Other than each episode of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us I haven't played any games for about 3 months. I just haven't been in the mood for them. I've mainly just been watching films when it comes to free time sat in front of a TV lately, yet I've gone months without watching a single film before. I'm very one track minded in that I only play one game or watch one TV series at a time so I don't get distracted and forget about them. I currently look at the games on my shelf or series I can watch and nothing is yelling 'pick me'. I'm sure one day I'll be in the mood too finally start InFamous Second Son and then I'll most probably play 2-3 games back to back.

If you have a slight interest in games chances are you will get in the mood for them again sometime down the line.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Raithos » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:35 pm

I understand about the challenge being the only thing keeping you playing. I lost interest in games for about two years several years back. I had too much going on, stress pilled up, and I just wasn't enjoying things like I used to. All I played was shmups and 2d platformers. Trying to beat my scores and shave time off my runs kept me coming back for more. Like everyone else said just do what you enjoy, even if its not games.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 am

phpBB [video]

new bloodborne trailer, lookin spiffy.

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Oh, shit.
I know you probably wouldn't recognize it because you haven't really gone through the series yet, but the voice at the end that says "And so, the nightly hunt begins," was exactly the same as the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls. People were theorizing before that this one takes place in the Demon's Souls universe but at a different point in time, and I'm actually kind of convinced by that now. Awesome.
I mean, sure, there's the possibility they just got the same voice actress to play a different role, but it's such a unique accent and all that... it's hard to believe they'd bother getting her if there's no relation between the games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Maybe they just like her voice and thought it would fit well? You probably wont know until you get your hands on the game and try to piece the 2 together, but it could just be paying homage.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:50 pm

It is her voice isnt it?! I thought it sounded like her. I always did like her voice.
Well the game looks fucking incredible. Most anticipated next to the likes of Silent Hills, MGSV and Uncharted 4.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Unfortunately its not a system seller for me. Besides there is always the chance it could come out on PC later.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:54 am

I'm very interested in this game for some reason...
phpBB [video]
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 pm

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext