General Anime Discussion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: General Anime Discussion

Postby Raithos » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I totally agree with you. I hate to be "that guy" saying they don't make them like they used to, but its true. And its not nostalgia either. I mean there are some great series/films that come out now, but most are just meh. I mean compare what was huge back in the 80's and 90's versus the stuff people watch now. Everything has just become so generic nowadays, same stories we've all heard before lead by the same cast of characters with new names. Same with games.

edit: just saw your post lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:40 pm

To my understanding, when the japanese go to make an anime (games i'll get to in a sec), I dont think a worldwide market is really considered. I think as big as japan is, their country is small and they are one of the smaller first world countries. I think japan has to make something thats going be successful there, I mean anime is very popular alot because its from japan, and the japanese take a very original approach to their animation and stories and THATS what everyone likes, its. so. freaking. creative. Just spices up an old/warn out genre some times, and the spectrum doesnt include just anime. It may twist sci fi on its head, it may do the same to fantasy, or a "slice of life" type anime, or a comedy plenty of animes in all those genres that are completely different from what you would normally expect from other media in the same genre separate from anime. Thats why I think they HAVE to first make it profitable for their own country because thats honestly what the rest of the world likes.

Now gaming is a different story because gaming didnt start in japan. The japanese just have their own versions of certain genres (and they created a few on the way). Some of what I just said above applies to gaming, but gaming is alot more popular and they usually make the decision during early development whether a game is going to be made for their home market or for world market. Also, some japanese games come out else where before in japan now (god bless them), so other markets are ALOT more important in japanese game development.

Also I think thats why the japanese struggle with gaming now a days, do you see western devs developing a game with success in japan in mind very often? Hell no, cause our markets are so much bigger, if its sucessful there great, but many big devs here dont worry much about how many copies they sell in japan. There is so much more pressure on japan to make a successful game.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Ziming » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:13 am

I often don't make recommendation but here are two new anime series airing right now.

Aldnoah.Zero (Mech anime - Music in it is incredible)
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Aldnoah-Zero

Akame ga Kill! (Fantasy/Magic)
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Akame-ga-Kill

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Jokatech19, Sonikku
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:43 am

I really hate to be a square, but is there any need to recommend them on an illegal streaming site through which no profits will ever go back to the original creators? Especially when both of those shows are available to stream legally, even for free, on Crunchyroll, through which profits will go back to the original creators:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/aldnoah-zero

http://www.crunchyroll.com/akame-ga-kill

If you are enjoying those shows, you should try to support them, or at least not promote your illicit means of viewing. Otherwise we'll have no anime industry left.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Went ahead and preordered that Cowboy Bebop bluray box. The details came out, and the Amazon edition (not sure if it's exclusive to this one) comes with two art books, one in b&w with 140-something pages, and another in full color with 40-something pages. Not a bad extra, and honestly I'd have happily spent the full 70 bucks for just the series itself, so any extras are welcome.

Although... shit, as I'm typing this, I looked it up on funimation's site, and they say there's also going to be a funimation.com-exclusive premium edition that they haven't revealed details on yet.
Dammit, might have to cancel Amazon and go for that, depending on what else it has going for it.

Whatever the case, the wait til December is going to seem like forever.

OL has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:53 pm

ooohhhh that sounds awesome. Can I go into giddy cowboy bebop fan boy mode now? if such a thing is allowed haha. I am curious what is going to top the amazon version now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:31 pm

I'll just say ME WANT MUSIC.
As insanely in love with the series as I am, and as religiously as I listened to the soundtrack back in high school, I don't actually own any of the cds. I'd love a cd set with the whole shebang if that were possible, but I also think it'd be cool to just have a single bluray disc with the full soundtrack on there, so you could rip digital copies.
Not sure how likely that is, but I'd love that kinda thing.
For something like that, I actually would pay the 130 bucks that Namco was asking for Xillia 2's LE.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm

phpBB [video]

I used to meditate, or fall asleep listening to this song. I remember one night I was at my buddies house stayin at his place, and I had loaded it on my PSP and I just listened to it all night to get to sleep. I would love to get my hands on some high quality remastered versions, this song, blue, tank, digging my potato, jupiter jazz, real folk blues... man oh man... Sometimes I really wonder just what they put into this show to make its story characters and atmosphere touch so many people, it just has that feeling, the last episode, "You're gonna carry that weight". Idk its just an incredibly impactful message when all is said and done,

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Goddammit, man. After listening to that, I just had to go listen to even more from the OST, and now it's taking everything I've got not to pop the DVDs in and give the show another watch.
Aside from being my favorite tv show ever (animated or otherwise, doesn't matter), it's also quite possibly my favorite soundtrack from anything as well. So much damn life in every track, not to mention the insane amount of variety present. I can't listen to anymore or I'm gonna break.

That being said, I'll just leave this here.

phpBB [video]

I've been wanting to for years, but I swear one day I'll have this tune actually made into a real music box. This, or Memory. I'm still not sure which I like better.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:50 pm

No shame in having a run through of the DVDs now, so you can properly understand the improvements once the blurays come out. Also, december is still a few months off.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 am

I'm just trying to hold off so the nostalgia hits me as hard as possible when I get the blurays. If I watch it now, it won't be the same.
I've watched the DVDs so many times anyway, I'll definitely be able to see the improvement as it is.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:39 am

Havent seen Cowboy Bebop in awhile. Would love the bluray.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Watched 2 episodes of Akame ga Kill! after Ziming suggested it. I'm not into it just yet.

Also watching Eureka 7. I've been meaning to a while because of all the good things I hear about it. But ten episodes in, it's pretty damn slow.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:42 pm

I liked the little bit I saw of Eureka 7, way back when it first came out. Something like 8-10 episodes.
I wasn't too bothered by the fact that it moves a little slowly, since I know it's 50-something episodes, and that naturally allows for a little more breathing room. But I did really like the overall vibrancy of the whole thing, and the fact that it isn't just another "dark and gritty" type, nor is it necessarily fluffy and dumb. It's positive, energetic, and colorful, and I liked seeing that for a slight change of pace. Not to mention the fact that the whole "air-surfing giant robots" thing is just... cool.
I'd really like to see the rest one day.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Just bought the first three story arcs (about 39 episodes) of Armored Trooper VOTOMS. I've wanted to get further into this series for a while. Watched the first few episodes on youtube several months back, and it scratched a serious itch I'd been having for a good early-80s anime.
I love the style of it. Sort of on the "low-tech" end of the sci-fi spectrum; it's got giant robots and all that, but they're more like walking tanks rather than the usual Gundam-esque superhero robots in other anime. I love all kinds of mecha, but the tank-style are my favorite (when pulled off properly, that is). Apparently this show was really influential in Japan, yet you rarely ever hear people talk about it elsewhere. Looking forward to getting into it.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic