Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Giorgio » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:49 am

Stephen Georg have the chance to play Shenmue for his First20 video series.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made, Shenmue was also the most expensive video game ever produced at its time of release. Let's see what the fuss is all about!

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:52 am

Why does it remind me something familiar ? :-k

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby TailsAndy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:01 am

I get intense cravings for Chinese food whenever I play Shenmue II. I've no idea why :P
TailsAndy
Asia Travel Representative

Nintendo FC: TailsAndy
Steam: TailsAndy
Currently playing: MK8,

Postby Giorgio » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:07 pm

My Greek friends and Shenmue fans over at Tech With Coffee, made a Shenmue Reflections music video. :)

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Rakim wrote: How the hell was the Hazuki family so wealthy? Did Iwao have 100s of paying students or what?

I know this is old, but it's pretty clear that the Hazuki's are an old samurai family. In Yamanose, they are the biggest house at the top of the neighborhood, indicating status and importance. They have a family/clan symbol that seems to indicate a history. Remember the katana and the sword arm guard. That's a weapon of status. You should also remember that Ryo's Buddhist, and historically, martial artists who were Buddhist hailed from samurai families (i.e. WW2).

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Supa
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:59 am

Also just economically Japan during the mid 80's was at an all time high. To have kept the wealth they have intact shouldnt have been so hard for them. Also life insurance from both his mother AND father I bet they were also well taken care of..

Axm has received a thanks from: Himuro
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby TailsAndy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:26 am

Himuro wrote:
Rakim wrote: How the hell was the Hazuki family so wealthy? Did Iwao have 100s of paying students or what?

I know this is old, but it's pretty clear that the Hazuki's are an old samurai family. In Yamanose, they are the biggest house at the top of the neighborhood, indicating status and importance. They have a family/clan symbol that seems to indicate a history. Remember the katana and the sword arm guard. That's a weapon of status. You should also remember that Ryo's Buddhist, and historically, martial artists who were Buddhist hailed from samurai families (i.e. WW2).

The fighting style is also well known among other people.

I know nothing about Virtua Fighter lore, but did Akira come from a family similar to that? Is there any kind of detail on similarities and differences between Akira and Ryo?

TailsAndy has received a thanks from: Himuro
TailsAndy

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Ryo also inhibits the most samurai of characterization: stoic, guarded in emotion, who highly values honor, and is not a particularly big fan of admitting weakness or need of help.

During the Meiji Restoration, Buddhism symbolized the shogunate and the Japanese power structure, including the samurai. Many fought to destroy Buddhism in Japan called the Haibutsu kishaku (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haibutsu_kishaku). Given that the Hazuki style is extremely well developed, it's reasonable to conclude that it has been developed for centuries. Given the wealth, the martial arts style, the religions, everything indicates Ryo has samurai heritage. I'm most curious how they'd retain their wealth post-meiji, however, given that samurai were cast off. They likely used the dojo as a means for sustenance. But during the game there's nothing to indicate they had students besides Fuku and Ryo. So I'm not sure.

all of this is hypothetical, but i feel there's enough evidence for it. Plus, it's fun to talk about.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: Nahovil, Yokosuka
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:05 pm

BlueMue wrote: I've kept trying to win the Dural Gold over the past couple of days at a very slow pace as it started to become very hard for me to keep doing it. And you know what? I give up now!

I've drawn 2000 frickin tickets and no Dural Gold. I did win the Dural Silver 15 times but I don't care at all about that crap prize. I don't know why I never won the top prize. Maybe it's because I use winning cans. Maybe it's because reloading after 10 tries somehow ruins how the game calculates when you win the top prize. Maybe it's some kind of fault in the emulation that prevents the prize from ever appearing. Maybe I'm just trying to find explanations as I don't really believe any of this it causing problems. Or maybe I simply just have the worst luck imaginable.

Unless maybe someone can shed some light on winning that prize (I don't even know how the top prize ticket looks. I've tried digging through the game files and couldn't find any of the tickets) or somehow really hack the game to always give the top prize at the raffle. Until there is a glimmer of hope, I count this prize as a myth. As something virtually impossible to get.

It is possible to get it. Proof in the following video:

phpBB [video]

Source: http://playdiary.web.fc2.com/shenmue/04.html
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 pm

No way... I didn't just see that happen. :-o

I can't believe I finally got to see that damn ticket. And this video is 4 years old. No one has ever dug that up yet?
Can't be that someone actually did a video with all the winnings. Wonder how many days of constant trying it took.

This actually encouraged me to try this again at some point... a little bit.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:06 pm

BlueMue wrote:[...] Wonder how many days of constant trying it took. [...]

It says in the source link (machine translated) that it took 10 hours of real time.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TailsAndy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:14 pm

BlueMue wrote: No way... I didn't just see that happen. :-o

I can't believe I finally got to see that damn ticket. And this video is 4 years old. No one has ever dug that up yet?
Can't be that someone actually did a video with all the winnings. Wonder how many days of constant trying it took.

This actually encouraged me to try this again at some point... a little bit.

It really hurt when I got it on the first try the other day and then nullDC crashed.

[sob]
TailsAndy

Postby Ziming » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:46 am

LORE - Shenmue Lore in a minute!

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Axm
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 am

Lmao, that one was really good...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Kinda interesting... Less of a Shenmue in a nutshell and more like a "Who's Ryo Hazuki".
But then again, never seen any video from that channel until now.

Was done quite well but I honestly can't laugh about the stupid "it's only QTEs and talking" cliche joke.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue