Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:37 am

Was pretty funny. I liked it overall except for ya, the cliche excuses for critisim. Shenmue made QTE's and talking talking talking.. mainstream. And now its a draw back for some reason.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:50 am

It's "funny" how they shoehorn Shenmue's QTEs in the "press X not to die" category.

It always pisses me off when people hate on QTEs and don't acknowledge that the QTEs in Shenmue are very different from todays generic mainstream QTEs. You all know this but... In Shenmue it's much more dynamic because you don't instantly fail if you make a mistake. The QTEs aren't just random button presses, on the contrary actually. Especially in Shenmue II the commands correspond greatly with what action you would perform during battle.
And lastly, they don't feel tacked on.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ziming » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Shenmue - Fast Facts!

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Axm
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 am

Yu Hazuki. \:D/
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 pm

BlueMue wrote: It's "funny" how they shoehorn Shenmue's QTEs in the "press X not to die" category.

It always pisses me off when people hate on QTEs and don't acknowledge that the QTEs in Shenmue are very different from todays generic mainstream QTEs. You all know this but... In Shenmue it's much more dynamic because you don't instantly fail if you make a mistake. The QTEs aren't just random button presses, on the contrary actually. Especially in Shenmue II the commands correspond greatly with what action you would perform during battle.
And lastly, they don't feel tacked on.

I appreciate the way how Shenmue is by far the best at QTE and I'm praying to that remains, this means there is still one reason to convince people to buy Shenmue III in the future, exactly like its fighting gameplay where any of the best modern action-adventure video games are jokes.

Funny to see how QTE in other games are crap and how Shenmue has mastered a so basic concept of gameplay but I feel a story of patent behind.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:21 am

Just finished playing through Shenmue II on the original Xbox again after many years of ignoring it. Back when it was new I played it in an almost 50/50 mix with the Dreamcast version but nowadays I just play the Dreamcast version because of the Japanese dub. If I wanted to play the Xbox version I typically played it on the 360 so yeah, it's been quite a while that I played the game like this.

So it's not a huge surprise that I noticed something that I hadn't before. On the Xbox the shadows are actually improved over the original. I was quite confused how I never noticed that the books that Ryo has to carry at Man Mo Temple actually have a shadow here. The buildings have shadows aswell so the lighting on the streets is quite a bit more dynamic. The same thing happens at night with all the light sources. Combindes with the bloom it actually has a lot more contrast from lit to unlit.

On the 360 the game doesn't have any shadows at all so it's been a long time since I played DC and Xbox back to back but I can't believe I never noticed or downright forgott about the improved shadows.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 pm

On the Xbox version of Shenmue II, I like the blur effect on the graphics only during the night, when also the lights illuminate with more intensity. I wish I could turn off the blur effect during the day, though.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:11 pm

But there is hardly any bloom during the day, is it? Only some scenes, like when Ryo and Ren wake up after sleeping on the rooftop actually show bloom while the sun is shining.

I'm also split down the middle when it comes to this effect, I always have been. The game looks much more dynamic during the night with all the bloom but I think it's a bit overdone. Character faces reflect the light and glow way to much. They should really have one of the filters just turn off that effect.
What I really don't like is all the blur during fights and certain QTEs. It makes everything even more washed out and makes movement seem jittery instead of smoothening it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 pm

I still think tom is pathetic for not wanting to tell Ryo about the black car because Lan Di stared at him in a mean way.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Ziming » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

Posted on 500k FB. Too perfect.

Axm has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm looking for a guy named Yu Suzuki. He wears a black leather jacket, black shades ...and rides Joy's bike!

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:03 am

is there a Video about a Shenmue 3 Beta?
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Fenix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:37 am

SledgeNE wrote: is there a Video about a Shenmue 3 Beta?

I think no. The closest thing I ever saw i just now. A music of Bailu Village wich I supose it's fake.

phpBB [video]

Fenix has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby BlueMue » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:16 am

It's sad but also interesting that virtually no Shenmue III material has ever surfaced. Seem that they keep this stuff under the wraps like nothing else in the gaming industry and makes you wonder how far III's developement got.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue