Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:27 am

I had a notion that keep on and on to me. Has the TV-Show "Call Hugo" from Germany/Netherlands QTE's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz9JZGPATq0

Shenmue was not the mega-seller Sega hopes, but i think it is very interesting that some developers take QTE's in their Games (Indigo Prophecy for example or Tomb Raider from 2013). It is a sign that this feature is excited for some events.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:34 pm

FINALLY!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Just took 2392 tickets. New video coming very soon.

BlueMue has received 4 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Axm, Giorgio, Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:51 pm

I wonder if it's possible to get a Winning Can while buying a coffee for Shozo Mizuki (homeless old man). And if it is, then who's going to get it?... Him or Ryo?... Haha.

By the way: if you dared to buy him a cold drink, then he will grumble because of Ryo's stupidity... but Shozo will take it anyway...

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Supa
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Giorgio » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Do you like the blurriness on the Xbox version? Personally, I find it only/most attractive at night, when also the lights illuminate intensely.

phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Supa
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:22 am

I said this in other topics already but I'm personally not really a fan of the way the Xbox version looks.
I don't mind the bloom itself, it gives of some nice touches, it's just a bit overdone. But I can't stand that strange blurring during fights, it makes everything seem jittery and unfocused. I prefer the image to be clean and sharp.
I really like the improved shadows though.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 am

Don't really like the xbox effects too, and I don't think the version would have been the same if Yu Suzuki had been on the project. This is just not the Sega arcade aesthetic spirit where everything have to be clear and accurate, although the night scenery was pretty cool to enjoy at the time.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby japalp » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:32 pm

I liked the Dreamcast visuals better in those videos. One area that was way better in the Xbox version though was the water.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby LUCKTR9NZ0R » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Don't know if this has been discussed before but I'm still asking myself which thoughts came to Lan Di's mind when he "escaped" from the skyscraper by helicopter, looked back and saw Ryo on it's rooftop.
Somehow his facial expression is like: wtf, who is this guy? Could it be possible that Lan Di simply forgot about Ryo or Ryos appearance? They've only met once before, and that was when Lan Di killed Iwao. It is possible. But somehow it won't match with Lan Di's character. He seems like the guy whos planning every step. He also engaged Chai to steal the mirror from Ryo. So its not very likely that he totally forgot about Ryo. Maybe he is just surprised by Ryo that he managed to take out his gang members and realises that he was underestimating him.

we420 wrote: Playing once again through SII I wonder why (Since Ryo wants to fight him so bad) Ryo didn't just hold up the Pheonix Mirror to Lan Di on the Yellow Head Building rooftop and say "I got the other mirror now come fight me b****." Just a thought.

Maybe its just because this didn't came to his mind in that situation cause he was under stress and very energized. Perhaps because he realized he still is too weak for a fight against Lan Di (ok, thats not very likely because Ryo is naive as fuck).
It could also be possible that Lan Di already knows about Ryo having the other mirror and just wants to tempt Ryo to Gui Lin because he needs him for the ritual of combining the mirrors or releasing Chi You.

I'm so curious about what really happened between Iwao and Zhao Sun Ming back then..I can't or won't believe that Iwao really killed him. It is doubtless that they were close friends. I think Zhao was killed accidently by a power that has been released combining the two mirrors. Iwao couldn't convince him or hold him back, so Iwao feels responsible for his friend's death. To make sure no one will ever die again due to the mirrors he takes them to Japan and hides both in different places. But Lan Di might think that Iwao killed his father with his bare hands and stole the mirrors. The last sentence from Iwao (keep friends those you love close to you) is another proof of his feeling of guilt. Within his last breath he gives his son an advice which he could not stick to on his self and beware his friend from death.

The only thing that contradicts this theory is that Iwao kind of accepts his fate. If it would have been an accident, he would have tried convincing Lan Di of the truth. So maybe Iwao really has Zhao's blood on his hands..

Sorry if something like this has been written before but I just wanted to share my thoughts with my fellow shenmue sufferers.
LUCKTR9NZ0R
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: LUCKTR9NZ0R

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:38 pm

LUCKTR9NZ0R wrote:Don't know if this has been discussed before but I'm still asking myself which thoughts came to Lan Di's mind when he "escaped" from the skyscraper by helicopter, looked back and saw Ryo on it's rooftop.
Somehow his facial expression is like: wtf, who is this guy? Could it be possible that Lan Di simply forgot about Ryo or Ryos appearance? They've only met once before, and that was when Lan Di killed Iwao. It is possible. But somehow it won't match with Lan Di's character. He seems like the guy whos planning every step. He also engaged Chai to steal the mirror from Ryo. So its not very likely that he totally forgot about Ryo. Maybe he is just surprised by Ryo that he managed to take out his gang members and realises that he was underestimating him.

I didnt get that impression at all. Lan Di had a pretty blank to angry look on his face when he saw Ryo. And he absolutely didnt just forget about him. Forget the son of your best friend you killed, who you almost killed aswell but spared his life? He'd be pretty memorable. Overall Lan Di was pretty cold and emotionless.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:42 am

14 years ago this week Dreamcast owners in Europe and North America purchased Shenmue.

Ziming has received 5 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, Axm, Henry Spencer, Oppy, Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Esppiral » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:05 am

I've never been so excited about a game release like I was when Shenmue came, it did fulfill all my expectations.

Edit, I came first to Europe?! wow I didn't know that, Sega love us \:D/
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:14 pm

It's been 14 years already? Guess it's time to celebrate. Good thing I've uploaded a nice new video. Perfect timing!
And I'm also surprised that it actually came out a bit earier here.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LUCKTR9NZ0R » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:08 pm

14 years already..unbelievable. cheers!
Lets see if can stand another 14 years waiting for salvation.

So maybe Shenmue 3 will also be released 2 days earlier here, yeahhh.
LUCKTR9NZ0R
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: LUCKTR9NZ0R

Postby Esppiral » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:54 am

Corey Marshall follows me on twitter now, it makes me more happy that it should :D

Esppiral has received a thanks from: Fenix
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Ziming » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:17 pm

phpBB [video]