Jurassic World

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Jurassic World

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:06 pm

phpBB [video]

I'm gonna see it anyway. I love the idea of a bigger park and more people getting eaten and all that good stuff. Especially the marine life, always been fascinated with sea creatures and I hope they do it proper justice.

But holy mother of god, why do the dinosaurs look fucking FAKER than the originals in this trailer?! Honestly, they don't even CARE to try anymore. Supposedly there are going to be animatronics again, which are apparently way more advanced than the ones they used back in the day. Hope that balances it out but it begs the question: why don't you use the animatronics and models as the basis for your CG counterparts? That's a large reason why it probably looks fake to me.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:50 pm

I'll take a bet that it'll suck! The original was one of those films in the right place, at the right time. Dinosaurs are fascinating, so it's kind of a shame to see Hollywood just use them for the same kind of movie again and again.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Doesn't have the wow the first ones trailer had. Maybe that's being unfair, but it's how I feel.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm really excited about the movie. I feel like Hollywood is finally learning how to make good movies from past franchises(ie new Apes movies, Godzilla). So I hope JW continues the trend. I LOVE that this will be a fully functioning theme park and not one in development or some wildlife preserve. And that megalodon thing was awesome! It'll give me the heebie jeebies if(and you know they will) at some point the characters have to traverse the water it's in.

But I agree with Kenny on the graphics. The advent of HD really didn't help CGI any. For instance, the LOTR movies look so much more convincing than the Hobbit movies. You would think if any movie had the budget to push HD CGI into the believable realm it would be the Hobbit movies. I really don't care if CGI can emote more than makeup. The fact of having a live actor right there, in full costume with the human actor is loads more compelling than a green tennis ball. I'm positive 99% of actors would say the same thing. And that's why I wish del Toro had helmed the Hobbit movies, even though even he couldn't have saved them from the padded scripts.

And the T-rex from JP1 looks so much better than any of the other movies, mostly because so much of it was an animatronic. And that was perfect. When CGI became mainstream filmmakers(most of them) abandoned practical effects like animatronics.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Kenny
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Looks like a fun movie.

Axm has received a thanks from: OL
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:47 pm

I don't see Jeff Goldblum.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Rakim
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 pm

diggin it
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Axm wrote: Looks like a fun movie.

This.
See, with new entries in a classic franchise like this, people our age really ought to understand that nothing is going to kick us in the face with that same amazing feeling that the original did. We shouldn't be looking for that, because that road only leads to disappointment.
But that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy a fun popcorn flick.
Hollywood loves making retardedly grandiose spectacles nowadays, and they're generally not too bad at it. So that, paired with the almost guaranteed abundance of new dinos, paired further with the fact that Chris Pratt is a likable-as-hell motherfucker... I think it'll make for a fine theater experience.

OL has received a thanks from: Oppy
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 am

I dunno, I talked with Oppy about this earlier, but I still think there's a way to make a really good fun flick that can actually live up to the original.

But other than the new hybrid dino they're teasing (which I hope is similar to the Chameleon one in the light-gun Arcade game, because big ass lizards that can blend into the environment is nothing short of terrifying), I hope to see lots and lots of tourists getting trapped, eaten, and stomped. That's all I care to see, really.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Rakim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:18 am

This gallery of concept art popped up on imgur today of the original plan they had for the movie involving dinosaur-human hybrids.

http://imgur.com/a/ou5o6

Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 pm

^Yuck. Looks shitty.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm

A few questions i have, is this a sequel or reboot? Or where does it take place in the JP time line? Are these hybrids dinosaur/human or dinosaur/dinosaur? I hope the latter, cause it seems kind of ridiculous for them to breed dinosaur humans for park use. I like how they progressed the complexity of the dinosaurs though, first we were awed simply on being able to bring them back to life in the first film, this one seems it will awe by cross breeding them and that brings more science fiction elements to this one, and hopefully asks questions and makes you think like the original film did AND keeps your entertained. I really enjoy this franchise, its always fascinating.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:40 pm

It seems like a reboot from the trailer.
Who would go to a massive dino park in droves after the events of the first 3 movies.. a T Rex fuckin destroyed a gas station in San Diego!
I cant wait to see this movie and watch everyone running and screaming..ahhhh hahahaha
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm

The ship going to JP i says Isla Nublar which is the island from the first JP. The director tweeted that JW is a sequel set 22 years after the first. From what I've heard about the hybrid(called a D-Rex) is that it's a T-Rex crossed with DNA from an anaconda and a cuttlefish. The hybrid is due to people getting bored with the same ol' dinosaurs. We're seeing the park after years of success.

I think it would be awesome to do a chameleon/dino hybrid that could be seen in a kinda when-you-see-it-you'll-poo-bricks style where someone is staring at you somewhere you can't see. Those get me all the time. I hate the thought of someone looking at me but I can't see them. So when you view the movie again you can spot glimpses of the dino when the main characters aren't paying attention. Scary!

From the looks of the trailer it looks like they've trained at least the velociraptors because it doesn't look like they are chasing after Chris Pratt and he doesn't seem concerned with them at all. Looks like they may even race them given the gates they jump out of.

Here's a piece of concept art that some say is the D-Rex.

But I think the quickest way to ruin the JP movies is to add dino/human hybrids. Leave that for another movie. It has no place in JP.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Kenny
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 am

The worst bits of that trailer are

1. the mom saying "if anything chases you run" corny corny line for this film, but that same bit does have a little foreshadowing, when she says "im proud of you for going on this trip" perhaps the boy has a fear (obviously of dinosaurs) that he is trying to over come, which would be a predictable but decent plot device/character depth, hell he might even save the day later in the film.

2. when the chris pratt character says "depends what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab" maybe was just that particular take, but I didnt like his delivery it just didnt have me convinced, maybe the atmosphere in that particular scene warrants it though and they just put that snippet into the trailer when it really didnt fit.

Those are my only 2 gripes about it really. So the dinosaurs dont look as real, but do you really expect this film to beat out the original When Speilberg was in full control? Not sure we can really expect it to live up to that.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic