Games you know inside-out?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Games you know inside-out?

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:58 am

AHOY! Something just came to mind that I thought would make for an interesting thread/discussion, and that is the topic of games you can safely say you know inside-out; games you know so well that you can basically go through them on little more than muscle memory alone without ever having to think about what to do next, including the locations of items (and, to a lesser extent, collectibles), etc.

These are the ones that first come to mind for me:

Shenmue
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

Over to you, everyone!

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Rakim
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Games you know inside-out?

Postby Rakim » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 am

For me its both Shenmue games, the first three Metal Gear Solids and the two numbered Kingdom Hearts games. I put so many hours into those games that if I could transfer the time spent into other fields of study I could have advanced fluency in multiple unrelated languages by now. I was mental about those games when they came out. There would be periods when I would sit there, beat the game and then immediately start a new save. But now I have no attention span so it's taken me weeks to get like 20 hours into the game I'm playing right now.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:31 am

Also Shenmue 1 and 2 here.
Ive seen some people play games blind folded on twitch and do good.
I wonder if I could do that with Shenmue 1. The Harbor might be abit hard though.

Also Resident Evil Outbreak scenario 1. Yama and I would do speed runs back in the day and have no damage/weapon clears. Good times but frustrating cause that game is a bitch.

Another one is Super Mario RPG (SNES) I have that burned into my memory.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Chaos » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 am

I know the shenmue games pretty well, but I space my playthroughs out far enough that I never memorize exactly where to go through the whole game. I like keeping it that way.

Chaos has received a thanks from: Nahovil
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby OL » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:19 am

I don't know about necessarily beating anything through muscle memory, but there are plenty of games that I know inside and out otherwise.
I'll come back later with more probably, but the first to come to mind is Bushido Blade. I remember all the best weapons for each individual character, I know all the character-specific moves and whatnot, and I know exactly how the entire map is laid out in single-player mode. Love that game to pieces.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm

OL wrote: I don't know about necessarily beating anything through muscle memory, but there are plenty of games that I know inside and out otherwise.
I'll come back later with more probably, but the first to come to mind is Bushido Blade. I remember all the best weapons for each individual character, I know all the character-specific moves and whatnot, and I know exactly how the entire map is laid out in single-player mode. Love that game to pieces.

Well, not literal muscle memory, but that thing where the game has taken a place in your memory where it's as familiar and natural as blinking or breathing almost :).
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Himuro has received a thanks from: Axm
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:15 pm

-Sonic The Hedghog (Genesis, never played the 360 one...)
-KOTOR
-Final Fantasy 6
-Star Fox 64

All completely different types of games now that I think about it.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

It's generally games that I've replayed the most, so, basically these ones:

Resident Evil 2. I've played all four scenarios so many times now - each one I thought was really interesting and so well varied. Wish other games had that much replayability and so many different alterations each time you played. Only really Nier, TellTale games (like Walking Dead which I'm currently playing through) and 999 (DS) off the top of my head tried this same concept of replaying the game with different outcomes/scenarios. Still amazes me how much Capcom packed into one game back then.

Metal Gear Solid. It's the one Metal Gear game I've played through the most since I enjoy the boss battles and storyline the most overall in this game. Having said that, I've played MGS2 and MGS3 a lot too. I've exhausted practically every Codec/Radio call by this point.

Shenmue 1 is probably my most SEGA game of all time, searched (almost) every piece of dialogue from every single NPC by this point, still manage to come across new scenes and dialogue even now since the game is so ridiculously detailed. Rocket Knight Adventures I've played many times and even though it's been a good couple of years since my last playthrough, I can recall every boss and stage and even beat it on the "one hit and it's game over" setting in one session. Same goes for Treasure games like Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers.

On the Nintendo side of things - Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64. Those are my two favourite Nintendo games, so it stands to reason.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby redline » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:57 pm

mgs1 - played the gc remake and was disappointed because like you stated, i knew it inside out.
mgs2
mgs3
mgs4
shenmue 1&2 - i did have S2X for a few years (ready to play on my xbox360) but couldn't bring myself to play it.

i haven't played shenmue 1 or 2 in many, many years. the plan is to forget the games as much as possible & play them "fresh".
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Chaos » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:22 am

redline wrote:i haven't played shenmue 1 or 2 in many, many years. the plan is to forget the games as much as possible & play them "fresh".

This is the best way to play shenmue. I usually can't go more than two years before playing again though.

Chaos has received a thanks from: redline
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:04 am

MGS1 also, seems to be quite a popular one so far...

FF7
Skyrim
Oblivion
The original 1990s versions of Doom and Doom 2
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 am

Oh, Full Throttle would definitely be one for me. Not super-long, but I know the story so incredibly well I can breeze through it like I'm playing a movie. Probably the one point-n-click I know better than any other.

And on the subject of PC games, I know Fallout 2 pretty damn well. I've started and played through it about ten times messing around and using a trainer, and beaten it at least twice without. A game like that is absolutely massive in its amount of content, but I'm pretty sure I've seen just about everything possible.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 am

Chaos wrote:

This is the best way to play shenmue. I usually can't go more than two years before playing again though.

im pushing about 7 years now but still remember it quite well.

i'll play 1&2 again when 3 comes out :lol:
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 am

Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Mafia
Mafia II
Resident Evil Directors Cut
Resident Evil 4

Shenmue is obvious. Since I've started making videos I've been playing both games on a daily basis at times.

The classic Sonic games on the Mega Drive are essentially the games I grew up with. I could play those asleep.
I have played Sonic Adventure 2 alot aswell but more in hours and not in playing it all the way through.

The others are among the games that I just really like. There are more, but those are the ones I played the most.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to General Gaming