Unusual Proficiency Level Increase and Disc differentiation.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Unusual Proficiency Level Increase and Disc differentiation.

Postby Ride The Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:58 pm

So if some of you guys dont already know. Theres something unusual about the proficiency level increase in Shenmue I. Of course you increase it by practicing at places but did you know there is actually a pretty big increase that happens to evey move when you change discs due to progression in the story. So when you swap discs because you've completed one, the next time you load your file, the level of the moves are significantly higer than before. Heres the kicker however! When you do the skip disc 1 glitch via the stairs. The level of the move do not increase at all. Wonder why? Did the programmers do something to make move levels higer when you swap discs? Im very curious. Also note that in disc 1. The audio that comes from Ryo when doing moves like the Cyclone kick and the Brutal tiger in free battle are different fom disc 2 and 3. the fighting audio from disc 1 is also the same in the entirety of Shenmue II.

Ride The Tiger has received 3 thanks from: Axm, mue 26, Supa
Ride The Tiger
Banned
Banned

Re: Unusual Proficiency Level Increase and Disc differentiat

Postby BlueMue » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

They increase when you swap the disc? As far as I know they only go up automatically a bit every time Ryo goes to sleep and as the story progresses. Going to the harbor is obviously a big step in the story.

Yeah they forgot to put in the English battle sounds for Ryo on disc one so he still has his Japanese voice there.
He also always has it when you play QTE Title.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ride The Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Its BlueMue! I watch your map glitch vids. Your quite famous in the Shenmue community. Anyway so thats why Ryo has different voices. They actually forgot to put english battle sounds in disc 1. Thats interesting. I am pretty certain that swapping dics has an increase. The small proof is that glitch which skips disc 1 but does not increase the level afterwards. Im sure this shows that an increase is there.
Ride The Tiger
Banned
Banned

Postby itsthinking95 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:32 pm

This is actually pretty interesting. I was aware that training moves increased your proficiency in them... but I had no idea that when you switch discs you get better. Is the change very substantial? Because training every move separately is kind of a pain >_<
itsthinking95
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shadow of The Colossus

Postby Ride The Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah. The increase is suprisingly high. Its actually so high It'll make you wonder that theres no need for any practice during the playthrough at all. Its a nice touch to have I guess. I also think that this is why every playthrough will have high level moves at the end too.
Ride The Tiger
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Interesting, will have to check this out.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 pm

I've never noticed this before, but it sure is interesting. Could it possibly be something to do with Ryo growing as a person as he progresses through the major points of the story, represented by the transition from one disc to the next?

Seems like a neat little touch by Yu Suzuki if that's the case :).
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Shenmue's depth is forever. Interesting find!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue