Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm trying to post a lot more, and also been gradually getting back into Shenmue again. From listening to the OST and watching old videos etc.

I've also been going back and reading old, old topics, some which now we're written over 10 years ago. The heritage of this site has always been important to me, and as much as I know it's important to know where you are going, but it's also equally important to remember where you came from too.

So, just for fun I've opened this topic for anyone to chat about anything that's gone down here in the Dojo over the past 10 years. All those little things that have made this place what it is. Some things I've forgotten, some things I didn't even know about, but anything goes really. I'd say we are all more mature and friendly to discuss anything that was a touchy subject, from Kikizo articles, Dojo rivalries, false news reporting, flame wars etc. I know there's topics out there that have either been deleted at the time, or been forgotten about, like the Dojo Select lol.
so go ahead, what do you remember? What was the biggest thing to go down on he forums? What garnered the biggest reaction, both positive and negative? Members who left on good or bad terms, or permanent banned?

Peter has received 5 thanks from: KiBa, redline, shengoro86, ShenmueTree, Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations .

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Biggest reaction was when this place split into here and Ryo's Place. People parted ways forever, kind of in a few cases, but at the time and since I was loyal to this place I found it all rather hilarious, especially when TEEPO managed to interfere with their site on a regular basis. I didn't actually get to see it when he changed the name of the site to "TEEPO'S PLACE" and in fact didn't even believe he'd done it until people who didn't even involve themselves in the silliness made a topic here asking WTF had happened! :lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Re: Dojo history, rivalries & revelations

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:46 pm

See that's what I am talking about and why I created this topic. Some things you know or have heard of, but then there's something like that which I never knew!

So RP and the Dojo wernt created as separated sites? RP was born from members from the Dojo who created an alternative site?

Oh, and on a side note, I had never heard of the movie St Elmos Fire before, and being a naive kid I always thought you had just made up a cool username and we're a flaming troublemaker lol. Especially when you had that avatar of a fire gif. That had eyes :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:05 pm

does the old forum count?, i remember when Shenmue 2 on the DC was announced for release. seemed like it sprung up out of nowhere. (i dont think sega did any advertised for S2 at all) but i remember the forums was buzzing & somehow someone added basic music the thread where we were talking about it. - best dojo moment for me + we got a tone of new members. :-o

Peter wrote:Oh, and on a side note, I had never heard of the movie St Elmos Fire before, and being a naive kid I always thought you had just made up a cool username and we're a flaming troublemaker lol.

yeah... years and years ago, i wasnt sure what "st elmos fire" was but thought it would be fun to spam a tone of photos of elmo for him. v.stupid but made me :lol:

redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Back in the day when post tally was VERY IMPORTANT, and posts in the junk forum counted towards it, there was a guy called Imajin or something, who towered above all. Has he disappeared?
I think I overtook him once and was quite cross when the tallies were reset when the forum moved out of Gamespy (?)

The amount of active users implied a huge amount of new and varied topics everyday. These days it feels like so much of a closed group that posts and topics have an air of familiarity to them. I'm not trying to say one or the other is better, just different.

I don't remember the big fights from back in the day because quite frankly I didn't care much about that sort of politicking. The first time I remember being aggravated with something here would probably have been Jeff's trolling.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:17 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote: Back in the day when post tally was VERY IMPORTANT, and posts in the junk forum counted towards it.

TPAM is an excellent poster, and a valued member of the community.

The TPAM topic. Jesus Christ :lol: :lol:

But definitely agree with how this place had so many active posters and topics being made every day. I mean it was so busy, that if I had nothing planned for an evening, you could sit on your PC all night and post at the Dojo. Sometimes I spent 12-13 all nighters stretches on here, especially when setting up the Dojo Awards and results topics. God, think the most votes I got one year was 53 and it took me a good 5 hours to tally up the results and then write a huge ass post with all the results. I miss those days badily.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Chaos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:01 pm

I don't know that I was ever involved enough to know why all the splits occurred but I tried to post on them all
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II, AC:NL

Postby Thief » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:30 pm

I've been here for four and a half years, there's been drama but honestly I can't remember most of it. I miss certain members who used to post here often like (KiBa and Dorian and others) mostly because I found their posts to be an interesting read -- even if I may have disagreed with it entirely. This place makes me crazy sometimes, and I've had my fair share of posting like a fucking idiot, and I usually regret it immediately -- but editing a post doesn't really change what you've said so you just leave your stupid comments to exist forever in this forums history. Even though this place makes me and others crazy sometimes, I really like it. Good game community is a hard thing to find.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Theirs too much to say really. From the forum planet days of innocence, to the opening days of SD, the split, the Forum vs. Forum, the moderator wars, the dark days, the resurection and now what I call the mature age.. I've been a part of most of it.

Obviously the most notable for me was during the "moderator wars" era which was like 3 fucking years long or so. I made a podcast series that kicked off to good reception, I got sloppy, mittenz called me out on it and I blew up. Now he's one of my favorite members, nay, a friend. A blunt bastard, but I like it.

All I can say now is that thanks to Yama, we have a great main site, a forum that works and bullshit free.

Ofcourse I have to thank many other members here too, but its just too much for the train im on right now.

Viva la dojo.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Mitsuzuki, Peter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Thief wrote:editing a post doesn't really change what you've said so you just leave your stupid comments to exist forever in this forums history. Even though this place makes me and others crazy sometimes, I really like it. Good game community is a hard thing to find.

Ahhh, i remember the post would have said "edited" and sometimes shit kicked off from that. I can remember people flipping out because someone had said something, edited it, and then World War 3 kicked off because they would be called out on it.

Axm is right about the Yama Era though; Bullshit free. But its like WWE being in the PG Era now, and the old days were the Attitude Era. I just wish we had a network where you could go back and read some of the old topics. Well i am sure you can just find a link, but i wouldnt know where to start. Anyone remember any old topic titles where things went bananas?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:51 pm

The place has become a place for normal, everyday discussion now. Mainly on games, but there are too many people who have valid opinions and know how to debate. I can't e a cunt on here anymore without actually feelin like a cunt. Suppose I've just grown fond of you all, and I'm sure a lot of you feel the same.

No, it's easier to get a rise outta the cult nowadays. It's like preaching atheism and pointin out the bible's flaws to evangelists n shit. Doesn't matter how old I get or how much I mature, that shit will always entertain me.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Axm
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm

I haven't been here for as long as most of you but the whole ryudo fiasco that turned in to a revolution was fun.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Chaos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

south carmain wrote: I haven't been here for as long as most of you but the whole ryudo fiasco that turned in to a revolution was fun.

I kinda ignored the dojo for the past few years I must have missed this
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Everyone got really pissed off with ryudo which led to some hilarious arguments and eventually the resignation and self exile of ryudo from the dojo.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Chaos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Well, that's a shame. He could have a temper with people at times but I still used to enjoy talking to him. Haven't talked to him consistently in a few years except once or twice on steam.

Man I miss shenmue IRC channels with Ryudo, Yukio, and others.

The dojo doesn't have an IRC channel atm does it?

Chaos has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Bluecast
Chaos
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Off Topic