PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:59 pm

It did, thank you guys honestly.

Im not sure if this is normal, but there are odd collections of dots appearing on my screen though. Both when the DC starts up and also in game. Does this ring a bell? I will try and get a picture of it if necessary.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:59 am

:nice!:

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Interesting words, which can also be related to Shenmue (as well as to other cult interactive entertainment software):
«[...] the passion of those who “get it” is almost completely indecipherable to normal people. But that’s probably how it should be. These games contain a certain alternative charm that surpasses mundane logic, and permanently snatches the hearts of a certain type of people. That’s what we call “cult.”»

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201503/20074490.html
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Ziming » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 am

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:24 am

So is this what they were talking about in that other topic? How it's a different version?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes. The video above plays on my new Xbox copy, while the older copy plays the other version on the YouTube list. Weird.

Supa has received a thanks from: Peter
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 pm

It's amazing how after all this time, Shenmue can generate so much emotion in me. This time - ANGER.

So clearly there is no health and safety at Yokosuka Harbour. I'm driving a huge forklift truck, besting my quota easily and going for extra crates to make as much money as I can, and you have other jokers in forklifts just whizzing around corners and blocking my way! Also these idiots who just walk around, like security guards and other workers without a care in the world. MOVE IT FAT ASS!!!!!

So after that, I go home and just as I get to the wooden Hazuki Residence doors, Ryo decides to tell me that it's getting late and thay I should go home... YOU ARE OUTSIDE YOUR FRONT DOOR DIP SHIT!!!

Then to top it all off, I get inside and get such a bollocking from Ine San about coming home earlier!! What are you, my mother. FUCK OFF!

Grrrr. The word frustrating comes to mind. :bad-words: :twitch: :suicide:

Peter has received a thanks from: Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:57 pm

I got really good at the forklift racing. I think every day I managed to complete the job and have 10-15 game minutes or more to drive around. But it is incredibly frustrating to run into pedestrians or other forklift drivers.

I did figure out that if you are in a tight spot and can see a forklift coming your way, you can honk and keep honking at them, and they will automatically go back in reverse and get out of your way. Sometimes their model even ghosts away.

Supa has received a thanks from: Peter
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:12 pm

I noticed that if I didn't beep the horn, they disappeared, but if I did, then they backed up. I love driving the forklift everyday. I'm gonna try and skip the story and work there for as long as I can. One of the best parts of the game.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 pm

I love the forklift part as well, to me it is really fun.

If you keep honking repeatedly, they will back up and eventually disappear. It works that way for me, at least. maybe it is just the timing.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 am

Peter wrote: It's amazing how after all this time, Shenmue can generate so much emotion in me. This time - ANGER.

So clearly there is no health and safety at Yokosuka Harbour. I'm driving a huge forklift truck, besting my quota easily and going for extra crates to make as much money as I can, and you have other jokers in forklifts just whizzing around corners and blocking my way! Also these idiots who just walk around, like security guards and other workers without a care in the world. MOVE IT FAT ASS!!!!!

So after that, I go home and just as I get to the wooden Hazuki Residence doors, Ryo decides to tell me that it's getting late and thay I should go home... YOU ARE OUTSIDE YOUR FRONT DOOR DIP SHIT!!!

Then to top it all off, I get inside and get such a bollocking from Ine San about coming home earlier!! What are you, my mother. FUCK OFF!

Grrrr. The word frustrating comes to mind. :bad-words: :twitch: :suicide:

If my memory serves me correctly, I have a pretty neat trick for times like this: if you ever come fork-to-fork with another forklift driver, quickly open your notebook and then close it again, and the forklift should have passed through you (or simply disappear), leaving a clear path.

I know for sure this works with the moped dude in Dobuita, but I can't remember if it also works with the forklifts. Give it a go and let us know if it works :).

Now get back to work!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:06 pm

People are scolding Ryo Hazuki for the feelings of vengeance he has, that he's going to get killed out of foolishness and recklessness, and that he'll walk the evil path; that getting revenge is not different from murder. That he should care for the feelings of others, for those who worry about him, for his friends and family.

But what they don't get (at least at first) is that Ryo wants to do this not just for a petty egoistical reason, but for his father.
He believes that if he won't get revenge, then he will disappoint his father. That he won't be able to face his father, if he step back and give up from his goal.
Not just for the death of his father, but also because someone said that his father killed someone, and that's a stain.

The teachings of Xiuying and others, were useful as a groundwork for the future. To calm his mind and concentrate on himself. To not rely only on his senses, but to see things with his mind's eye.

However, in the future, he must learn the true nature of things. - He must get rid of his belief that Iwao wants him to take revenge for his father's name and the pride of his family.

Perhaps, Ryo will meet some person in the future, who knew about his father, and help Ryo learn Iwao's background story and what he would wish for his son to do.
The answer to the question "Did my father killed someone?" could be the one that will make Ryo think again his attitude over this matter.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Supa
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat May 02, 2015 12:35 pm

phpBB [video]

Yu Suzuki is greatly happy right now. Read his thoughts on the creation of Shenmue:
Yu Suzuki wrote:«In creating this game I had few restrictions placed upon me and was able to proceed at my leisure. I hoped that we could develop a game that would be just as trouble free. That was my goal as I set out to create Shenmue. In the act of investigating, something creates something new, and this is something that even a child of ten can do. It goes beyond generations, crossing country borders, and is a theme that people all over the world can sympathize with. Forcing strong emotions on the players makes them experience the game as if they were there and it creates a story that people talk about. This game can be enjoyed at any age. The system is simple to use and fun to play. Through this new world you can experience a life that is totally different (than your own). You'll want to see what happens next. The stages are realistic and the story is so easy that even a child will understand it but the depths of the story will draw in adults. The characters are appealing, the story is moving, and everything is interwoven into a harmonious whole. My goal was to hand the whole world to the player. It is super-realism and this is exactly what I wanted to create. "FREE" is a totally new type of game.»

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Supa
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Sun May 03, 2015 12:18 pm

An absolute joy of a day. Was able to check my storage unit and make sure my Shenmue collection was ok, but also able to pick up my old copy of Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast. Over the years I've just stuck with the Xbox version, but now this will be the first time I've played it ever since buying it all those years ago. Cannot wait!

Lol I actually forgot it's my signed copy of Shenmue 2 DC by Yu Suzuki!

Peter has received a thanks from: Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue