Your Biggest Gaps In Gaming

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Your Biggest Gaps In Gaming

Postby Riku Rose » Tue May 26, 2015 8:21 pm

After seeing the Resident Evil topic it made me think of some series I have never really dabbed in. So what are some series you've never tried or got around to and then maybe people can say something that will make you consider trying it. It can be a series you've been meaning to play or just popular ones you've never even been bothered about, pretty much what are the biggest gaps in your nerd cred?

Some I can think of:
Resident Evil - Been meaning to but the idea of starting a 15 or so game series is daunting with so many games, TV and films to catch up on.
Jak - I love all the modern Naughty Dog games and have the HD collection but have never got that urge to pop it in.
Elder Scrolls - I played a few hours of Fallout and that just put me off those types of games.
Metroid - Have the Prime trilogy after hearing nothing but amazing things but nothing about it has ever got me in the mood to pop it in.
Megaman/Castlevania - Being more a Mega Drive kid these series have always just passed me by.
Silent Hill - I played about 30 minutes of the first game and hated the controls so much I could never be bothered to play it again.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Your Biggest Gaps In Gaming

Postby OL » Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Resident Evil - Been meaning to but the idea of starting a 15 or so game series is daunting with so many games, TV and films to catch up on.

Honestly, I've never really played the RE series because of its "compelling" storyline or anything like that. It's more about atmosphere, individual events, and the overall gameplay (puzzle solving pre-RE4, action post-RE4). It may be an expansive series by this point, but if you were to throw RE4 in today, without having played any of the others, you wouldn't really be missing so much that the experience would be marred by it. You only need to know one or two little factoids to understand just about any of the games.
Umbrella Corporation = bad.
Wesker = also bad. Also practically a ninja. Because reasons.
Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire = they fought zombies before. And don't like them much.
Just knowing that basic shit, it's gotta be one of the easiest "story-based" series out there. So don't let it feel daunting; it really isn't.

Riku Rose wrote:Silent Hill - I played about 30 minutes of the first game and hated the controls so much I could never be bothered to play it again.

The controls were just fine back in the day, so I can only assume that your basic mood just wasn't up to it whenever you tried it. I get that way sometimes. Obviously games nowadays are smoother, but SH was as good as could be expected for when it came out.
I'd suggest waiting til you really feel like a throwback. Wait until you genuinely feel like playing a PS1 game, and are looking more for atmosphere and story over gameplay. I have occasional points where I just don't feel like putting up with certain control schemes myself, but usually my mood eases up eventually and I can play them just fine.
SH really is worth playing for the overall feel of it, and I'd hate to think you were forever put off from experiencing it just because the controls are a bit wonky. It's really not a particularly hard game anyway, so the controls shouldn't end up being too much of a frustration as long as your mood is right.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I agree with OL on this. Definitely you do not have to play the old entries to enjoy the latest ones. IMO plot is always secondary to game mechanics, world-building elements in gaming.

In my case I've never touched Bioshock and the AC series. In the case of Bioshock the shooting mechanics just doesn't seem very interesting. As for AC, the world looks uninspired though I love the whole hidden assassin/master parkour motiff. Laugh at me now lol
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Wed May 27, 2015 12:15 am

REmake to Code Veronica is all you really need for the story (even Code Veronica is in iffy territory). It's a good story too but even more so, it's a fun series. RE4 is more of a game with more functional mechanics and great cinematic moments. RE5 and 6...like RE4 but not as enjoyable. In no way do you need any supplementary material to "get" what's going on.

As far as Jak is concerned, Jak 1 is standard platformer fare and Jak 2 & 3 is where they mix it up with a "darker" storyline.

Can't really vouch so much for Silent Hill. The first one, which I played many years after it came out, is not very good. RE1 is worse than that, in fact that one worth it for the cutscenes but not much else beyond that. You have to have a shit ton of patience for Silent Hill, it's one more for the atmosphere and experience than it is a game I think.

Megaman has a story, I think, but it's more about the game. And the game is FRIGGIN HARD AS FUCK. I had MMX4 and currently MMX5, holy shit it makes you wanna cry.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 am

Kenny wrote:You have to have a shit ton of patience for Silent Hill, it's one more for the atmosphere and experience than it is a game I think.

I'd personally claim that about the grand majority of horror games anyway, really. It's not a genre I go into for "fun" necessarily, it's a genre I go into to be immersed in a certain kind of atmosphere. I honestly never really found Resident Evil to be "fun" until RE4, but the preceding games are great anyway because they excel in areas other than gameplay (RE2 in particular).

Just one extra point about Silent Hill: I think it's pretty much the darkest horror game on the PS1. Way darker and heavier in tone than any of the RE series (which is closer to B-movie horror, and thus isn't actually all that scary anyway). So that's one way to look at it; if you're looking for something a bit harder-edged, a bit more grim for the PS1, SH would be the game to turn to.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed May 27, 2015 6:31 am

Megaman - not really that big of a fan of sidescrollers

Souls series - since they're not really story driven and I'm not a big fan of slow combat I just never felt like trying them

disgaea - it just doesn't draw me in really. I am willing to give it a go one of these days though.

Valkyria chronicles - though unlike the other games on the list I really want to play this.

Atelier games - they look like complete utter shit to me.

Forza - i no longer own anything xbox but if I had a 360 or xbox one i would give it a go.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 am

Assassins Creed: I know very little about this series, literally other than random gameplay videos and the fact that you assassinate people, but I have absolutely no interest in playing one ever.

Souls/Bloodborne: Another one I have no interest in playing -- game looks to be fine, but I just can't be bothered. I don't mind challenging games but am not at all interested in it for whatever reason.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus: Too much "artsy" praise turned me off -- that and it looks boring.

Splinter Cell: Not sure why I never got into these games, I love stealth and they are very popular. I'll have to give one a try someday.

Armored Core: Always meant to try to get into this series, but likely never will. I like mechs but I know I won't like this game. I know it isn't focussed on any political war-driven narrative and I'd likely just suffer through the third-person action gameplay to gain first-hand knowledge about the game -- which I don't have the time or the patience to do anymore.

D/D2/Enemy Zero: These games have always intrigued me AND my brother has all three of them. Yet I've never actually played them. Really want to.

Thief has received a thanks from: south carmain
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Wed May 27, 2015 8:18 am

^ you reminded me armoured core was one of mine too. Well I did play a bit of it on ps1 back when i was a kid but it doesn't really count since I had no idea what i was doing
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby goaliefrk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Metal Gear Solid - I've played Sons of Liberty a ton, beat it multiple times and all of that. I started the Third one but only got about 1/3 of the way done. I want to go back and play the series through, I definitely know it is deserving of this.

Final Fantasy - I have beaten 7 and the actual original 3. But other than that I have little to no experience and have never been a huge traditional JRPG fan, despite my brother being a huge Square and Enix fan and owning literally every JRPG for the PS1, PS2 and SNES.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Thief wrote:Shadow of the Colossus: Too much "artsy" praise turned me off -- that and it looks boring.

Shadow of the colossus is artsy yes but it's such an experience. Amazingly fun. Ico was ok. But please play shadow.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Thief
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:45 am

Metal Gear. Although I tried MGS3 recently and it was fucking shit. You guys are clearly braindead.

Tomb Raider. Played a bit of The Last Revelation, but that's it.

Uncharted. Because I'm poor and can't afford a PS4 (but I can rhyme...)

Broken Sword & Monkey Island. Just haven't got round to em yet.

Thief. Because I'm lazy.

Post-Revelations Assassin's Creed. Again, I'm skint. And I refuse to play em without the DLC first. And I can't play a snowy game if it isn't around Christmas. Except Skyrim. Coz it's awesome.

All Telltale games after TWDS1. Been waiting for all the episodes to be released. When I was in a position to buy em I lost my job. Fucking PPI...

Street Fighter. Absolute wank at it n I can't get my head round it. Whatever. I always preferred Mortal Kombat anyway. And let's face it, DC cross-over > Marvel cross-over. Because (I'm) Batman.

Shitloads of other obscure games like Still Life, Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey, etc.

Oh, and I still haven't completed Splinter Cell 1 or Deus ex yet either. There's more to add, but I'm gettin bored, my phone's about to die, and I need a shit.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 am

Thief wrote:Shadow of the Colossus: Too much "artsy" praise turned me off -- that and it looks boring.

I'd actually say it isn't "artsy" at all, at least not in a pretentious way. Yes, it's pretty, and has only sparse dialogue (that's all you have to do for most gamers to label your work as "art" these days; kinda pathetic), but otherwise it's just an incredibly fun boss run, with lots of scenery and land between each boss, making up this incredible atmosphere that truly makes you feel like you're on some grand quest. It's a really worthwhile adventure, whether you dig the "artistry" of it or not.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:43 am

I plan on playing Shadow of the Colossus one of these days. The game initially didn't look all that great to me, but it has been recommended to me by too many people, many of which whose opinion I truly respect, to be ignored forever. I'll certainly give it a shot.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:17 am

Always thought it was a PS3 game, didn't realise it was released on PS2.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Locke_cole » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Never played any of the Persona games
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss