Fallout 4

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Fallout 4

Postby OL » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Hopefully this one actually works properly on consoles.
I loved New Vegas, but goddamn was it ever plagued by bugs and stutters. I loved the content, but it was much more difficult to enjoy that content with how choppy the damn game was. I probably would have replayed the game by now if not for that shit.
And I still haven't even played Skyrim because my PC ain't the greatest gaming rig, and I'd heard that it was a total buggy mess on consoles. Bethesda really aren't the most reliable with this stuff.

So yeah, I'd love to play a new Fallout game, of course (I was already a fan of the series back in '97, before it was trendy 8) ), I'd just really like it if it was actually playable.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:25 pm

The more you played Fallout 3 on PS3, the more the game got stuttery (with very low frames per second) until it was practically unplayable - this was a known bug that Bethesda never bothered fixing. Sucks if you enjoyed the game enough and owned a PS3. I heard the Elder Scrolls also were bugged up the ass too on PS3, which is why I never support such laziness and incompetence [since they obviously don't give a shit about PlayStation owners]. So really, unless I hear that the game actually works (ha, as if), in an era where broken games are getting shipped with versions 1.000056789 posted out to the sore losers who still pre-order their "AAA" games, I'll wait on this one and won't be sucked into the inevitable hype machine they will conduct.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm

Most of the time, the issues in Skyrim were because people weren't playing it right. Seriously, who leaves weapons lying round? Don't litter the place with em, swipe em n sell em!

As for Fallout, played 3 recently. Wasn't that impressed. It was decent, but I don't understand why peeps praise it so much. Maybe it's just dated quite rapidly though.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Yeah the issues on PS3 with Bethesda games were caused by the lack of RAM the system had. The system would get taxed trying to load everything and performance would drop. That's why when you start a fresh save everything worked great, the longer you played the worse it got since it was trying to load everything you had done up to that point at once. Eventually becoming unplayable due to the system not being able to run the game lol. That's why the issues were only with PS3 and not PC/360. 360 had twice the RAM the PS3 had. Same reason games like Enchanted Arms were better on 360. It could load higher res textures and more objects before it hit its limitations. Not really the Devs fault, but sucks for PS3 users all the same.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 pm

It absolutely is the devs' fault; it's their job in the first place to make sure their game works. If there are system limitations, you figure out a workaround. That's what everyone else does.

Hopefully it won't be a problem with F4 though, since the current systems are pretty goddamn powerful, and they'll likely be running on a whole new engine anyway.
I'm curious as to where F4 will take place. I was never much a fan of Fallout 3 because it was based around DC, so the environment was a little too far-removed from the Mojave-esque settings of the original games. Then New Vegas felt like a step in the right direction since it was based in Nevada, with slightly bluer skies and a flatter landscape. Kind of hoping the new game will throw back to the originals even more.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Yeah, there shoulda been some kinda clean-up priority everytime the game loads. But still, one of the main goals of Skyrim is to just loot the shit outta everything.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 pm

As for Fallout, played 3 recently. Wasn't that impressed. It was decent, but I don't understand why peeps praise it so much. Maybe it's just dated quite rapidly though.

I never got why it has the fuss it does.
It may just be a cultural thing though.

The majority of brits ive asked prefer NV
The majority of americans ive asked prefer 3

Lets make a poll, this could be intresting.
Its a shame they rushed NV as much as they did its a fantastic game.

As for fallout 4 they have a lot of weight on their sholders.
Mess this up and they've had it!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Don't get your hopes high. Bethesda is just known for releasing buggy games, and let the community fix them. That's part of their philosophy. Why bother fixing a game, when it can be done much better for free?

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Depends on how they make the game I think.

All the fallout/elderscrolls games as far as im aware where made on gamebryo.
Ancient thing it is!
Same think munch's oddysee was done on.

I have a feeling they will be using a different engine for this generation of gaming.
It was pisseasy to reverse engineer the file format that the assets used, tools for the job have been floating about the internet for years.

The reason many games today aren't modded like older games is because no one has reverse engineered the games.
If they use nasty file formats it could very easily kill of most the modding community.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Raithos » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

OL wrote: It absolutely is the devs' fault; it's their job in the first place to make sure their game works. If there are system limitations, you figure out a workaround. That's what everyone else does.

You can only work around hardware limitations so much OL, especially when developing for multiple platforms, before you start to downgrade your game. A huge chunk of that 256mb of RAM the PS3 had was dedicated to the OS and PSN. The choppy game-play/stutters you mentioned aren't bugs, that's the system hitting the RAM ceiling, just like on an older PC. Actual bugs aside, the game ran fine on 360 and PC, the least of which had 512mb of RAM. Most of the time I am one of the first to bash the lack of polish and care given to a game, I can't stand buying a bugging pos that won't run. But in this case blame the console, not the developer.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:36 am

^You should really make a version that runs no matter how downgraded it is or not release it at all. They didn't release it on the Wii because it wasn't powerful enough so the same should apply there. To release a game that becomes unplayable is just poor.

Really though people should vote with their wallets, if they buy it again and complain the 4th game they've bought from the same developer doesn't work then they're just the ginger kid who gets invited to the sleepover for everyone to take the piss out of and still wants to go.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Raithos » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:44 am

I ultimately agree, I don't think it should have been released on PS3 at all (coming from someone whose main consoles are SONY). There was just no amount of tinkering that would make up for the lack of resources.

They posted this screen shot on the website. There will hopefully be a trailer here in a bit when the countdown timer is up.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmuedabest » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:49 am

I played Fallout 3 and loved it... and it was on the PlayStation... and I'm a Brit. So there.

Shenmuedabest has received a thanks from: Raithos
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby Raithos » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:58 am

I got about 40 hours in and my game turned into a slide show lol. Looked like an old stop motion film by the end. Ended up starting over on 360, then on PC. I never had any issues with Skyrim though, and my PS3 file was over 100 hours.

edit: Here's the trailer

phpBB [video]

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming