SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INSIDE)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Postby RoboBonanza » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:36 pm

Just can't believe this is actually......finally......happening! :)

I'll pledge $100 come payday, but in the meantime....

RoboBonanza has received a thanks from: Thief
RoboBonanza
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow. Despite the fact that we truly have achieved a great victory, the amount and kinds of continuing and ongoing activities that we must now dedicate ourselves to as a united community are surely dizzying:

1) That some people think that Sony's intervention in helping to fund *some* of Shenmue 3 because the Kickstarter is a success is some kind of non-transparent shadow dealing that devalues the real money backers pledge is truly laughable.

Just as Adam Boyes sincerely explains in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi ... be&t=1m40s), Shenmue is virtually a "religion...an [emotional] cultural heritage [piece] in videogame history" that no one single person or company can own. This is precisely why Sony did not - rather, *could* not - just outright buy out Shenmue 3 as a Sony project - because as we all know, something that is lauded emotionally by many doesn't always mean the same in terms of the magnitude of the actual profit return.

Case in point. Rather than try and persuade the higher ups at Sony for how ever many months or years until some kind of 25 million dollar+ budget could be set aside for Shenmue 3, Suzuki and Sony did the most ethical thing possible - use Kickstarter.

Because Shenmue is loved by many fans and not owned by just any one person, why not let the fans prove the case to those would be profit supporters for the Shenmue 3 project? This Kickstarter, and the higher the amount of money that we can pledge as fans is outright *necessary* to truthfully show and prove to any and all larger supporters (like Sony, and hell, even Sega) that any resources they might plan on contributing to the project would be justified and fruitful.

After all, can you imagine what would happen if we didn't all act to make the Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 a success, or if the Kickstarter was never even announced? No Shenmue 3 - that's what. We all have the see the greater picture. The Kickstarter was merely a catalyst to a much bigger game that we all find ourselves involved in now.

2) Unfortunately, the reality of game making is certainly centered around profits and budgets. Do any of us really think that Suzuki, and we, his fans, would ever be able to fund a viable and competent Shenmue 3 just by ourselves and whatever we could raise on Kickstarter? That Sony is planning on throwing its weight behind the development of Shenmue 3 shouldn't come as a shock. Neither should it be reason for us to stop contributing to the Kickstarter.

The more money, the better. That's all it comes down to. If we can hit all the stretch goals on Kickstarter and get Suzuki a fan pledge budget of 4, 8, maybe even 10 million dollars in addition to whatever other funding he'll get - that *will* make an impact. Sure, that's a lot of pressure to make a great game with so many resources thrown at it. But we can't get cold feet now. We can't just have complained for 14 years. We have to follow through with the project to its very end now. We're strapped in till the end.

3) December 2017 is a long way from now. Two more years of megaton E3s and other gaming conventions from now, in fact. The more money we pledge now and the more resources other companies like Sony contribute to Shenmue 3, who is to say that we won't get a special physical retail limited edition of the game for PS4? Or possibly even a polished mirror Jade/pearl green limited edition PS4 to boot?

And what about Sega? Now as we lead up to Shenmue 3's release, we can't falter in campaigning for HD updates of Shenmue 1 and 2. We have the most ammunition for this cause now than we've ever had before. Now that the Shenmue IP is back in the mainstream conversation and everyone is talking about it, Sega can't wriggle around non-committally about it like it usually does anymore.

My apologies, but I can't seem but think we're all actually doing all of this for Yu Suzuki himself. You know it must have taken immense courage on his part to finally commit to this project. Part of him must have known that the Kickstarter would have been a guaranteed success - but that he would be enveloped by incredible pressure to deliver as soon as he decided to go forward with all this.

So lets do it. Lets make the next two to three years the greatest years of Mr. Suzuki's creative career - let's afford him the budget and resources to make the one true game work that he's always dreamed of making, and let's put on the pressure for Sega to release his prior works in Shenmue 1 and 2 HD as part of that ongoing celebration.

We've worked long and hard for this - that much is true. So let's make all of this one of the greatest times of our lives. Cheers.

Wanderin' has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Upstairsmuffin
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Game Informer interview incoming.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Himuro
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 pm

I am convinced Sony will equal an investment matching the final Kickstarter amount. I have no doubts that in the end, we will have all those areas that Yu mentioned as part of the stretch goal.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 pm

masterchan777 wrote: Do you guys think that Sony's announcement of partnership might negatively affect the Kickstarter ?

We all knew Yu Suzuki had a huge backer or backers for his project. This game is more than 2 years away. TWO YEARS. Where are the funds coming from to cover the development cost of things like salary for the sizable staff, the cost of rent, equipment, electricity, food and water, taxes, art tablets, software licenses, healthcare, dev kits, outsourcing, interviewing employees, paying actor and agent fees for voice-over work, and myriad of other expenses incurred over the game's life cycle? It's crazy to think that Kickstarter alone would be enough to pay even half of that.

So we should all be scared actually. If we do not back this campaign with all the people we can get, Sony will fund this half-heartily or not much at all in the end as they don't play to lose. As I mentioned before, Sony is gauging our real interest in Shenmue 3 (with the projections of the Kickstarter campaign) before putting both their feet into the project and showing us the real money behind this all.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I'm playing Shenmue again. Does anyone know who was responsible for face animations and design? It still holds up to this day.

I believe the animations belong to these two 3D character designers, Tetsunari Iwasaki and Hideki Kawabata, according to the Shenmue game credits.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 am

I absolutely hope and pray this makes it last the 4 million mark. I will comfortably say 3 million will be surpassed, but 4 million would make me very happy due to the stretch goals and essentially reaching the "top tier" of the Kickstarter table.

Peter has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 am

News of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter reaches Time magazine!
http://time.com/3923809/shenmue-3-kicks ... id=fbshare

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, MiTT3NZ, Taren Fox
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby hoonding » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:05 am

There should be stretch goal for Asian subtitles (Chinese, Korean, Japanese).

The first two games were quite popular in China, there are lots of Kickstarter comments about it too. They'd definitely get more people to fund.
hoonding
Asia Travel Representative

Postby JonDi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:42 am

As much as I hate parting with money, I will be giving my download code away to any friends that genuinely want to try the game and will be repurchasing it on the PSN (and Steam for that matter) to turn one purchase into three, imagine if every backer jumped on this trend. The overall sales figures would be 3 times as much (or double whatever way you look at it).

Like many have mentioned on here in the past.. for the original shenmue's to break even we each would have had to buy 2 copies.. well now's our chance. Buy it on as many platforms as possible ensuring a bright future for our beloved franchise.

\:D/

JonDi has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
JonDi
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:47 am

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:53 am

Kickstarter was Yu Suzuki's demand according Andrew House (Sony Playstation director).

source (in French) : http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/20 ... 08996.html
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:21 am

Update #3, interview with Ryan Paton (creator of République): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ect_update

Amir has received a thanks from: Axm
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Tailzo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:27 am

Waking up to this news felt so unreal. I just wanted to say: I'm so happy!
Tailzo

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:06 am

A great move would be show a new model of Ryo

Or release a new "wallpaper" picture, the models look fugly
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.