Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing needs some work

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing is fucking terrible.

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote: Haters gonna hate.....

You do realize that if this is not marketed well it WILL make less money, right? Use your brain! There is already controversy that says you should stop donating because of the Sony stuff. Stop being a blind fanboy and USE. YOUR. BRAIN, Peter!

It's coming out on the PS4 and PC, a combined base considerably more populated than the DC ever was. I think you need to calm down a bit.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:49 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote: Haters gonna hate.....

You do realize that if this is not marketed well it WILL make less money, right? Use your brain! There is already controversy that says you should stop donating because of the Sony stuff. Stop being a blind fanboy and USE. YOUR. BRAIN, Peter!

It's coming out on the PS4 and PC, a combined base considerably more populated than the DC ever was. I think you need to calm down a bit.

The problem is that any criticism given, apparently according to Peter, makes you a "hater".
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby jasonorme666 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Agreed, it's a badly made kick-starter.. I've had my own successful kick-starter in the past and it was more professional than this.

It seem's aimed towards existing fans, there is nothing to entice new fans to pledge.

If they had just given it another month of putting in some solid work for the pitch it would have made 10 million already.

jasonorme666 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Locke_cole » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 pm

jasonorme666 wrote: Agreed, it's a badly made kick-starter.. I've had my own successful kick-starter in the past and it was more professional than this.

It seem's aimed towards existing fans, there is nothing to entice new fans to pledge.

If they had just given it another month of putting in some solid work for the pitch it would have made 10 million already.

Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby hoonding » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 pm

If all the rich people in Monaco would open their wallets we would have 10 million already.
hoonding
Asia Travel Representative

Postby jasonorme666 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Locke_cole wrote:
jasonorme666 wrote: Agreed, it's a badly made kick-starter.. I've had my own successful kick-starter in the past and it was more professional than this.

Don't get me wrong, I've waited 14 years for this.. I'm excited.. But the kick-starter campaign still screams a rush job. There is no level of fan-boy/girl-ism that would make this not a factor.
Last edited by jasonorme666 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasonorme666

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Complaints on the link below tomorrow Friday (19/06/2015)... Spread the word out there!

Last edited by sand4fish on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ElephantStone » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:03 pm

jasonorme666 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've waited 14 years for this.. I'm excited.. But it still screams a rush job. There is no level of fan-boy/girl-ism that would make this not a factor.

Pretty sure he was taking the piss, because if they gave it another month it wouldn't have been at E3, which is arguably the biggest reason it's smashed the Kickstarter records.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby jasonorme666 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm

I don't know.. most pledges are probably from die hard Shenmue fans anyway. E3 probably didn't play as big a part as people think.

Anyone who doesn't already know what Shenmue is.. isn't going to to find out from Yu at E3 or the kickstarter page.
jasonorme666

Postby b_ren » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

You guys should use Reddit and the "ask a question" button under the FAQ. If enough people ask, they might do something about it. Remember Sony are in on this to and will have marketing power.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Yeah, I also thought that earlier. It seems to be very focused on existing fans. Sure, they'll target everyone later on with marketing campaigns but it wouldn't hurt to get more people engaged at this point already.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bigwilma » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:37 pm

I posted this on the main thread but I think it belongs here.I've got some big reservations about what i've seen so far from a marketing comms perspective. We have a long way to go yet but the initial announcement created a huge noise, the Shenmue community have turned this up to 11 and generated a huge buzz online promoting interest in Shenmue way beyond just the gaming press. Honestly the hype generated by the online community is priceless, can't be manufactured, can't be bought and can't be replicated, it's been unbelieveable.

While there will be a comms strategy for Shenmue III the game, imo the project needs something akin to an election campaign, an overall comms strategy to tell every gamer that they simply must play this game, which i see no evidence of. For instance the design of the kickstarter is poor, the reward tiers and benefits have gaping holes. Somebody overseeing all of the project from an overall comms perspective would have seen that straight away, nailing the kickstarter is just as important as nailing E3, momentum is everything with Shenmue III . The silence of Sega has also been deafening, not a statement, not a tweet, retweet, like, simply silence. The HD remakes will have a huge impact on the success of Shenmue III and the fact they are letting Yu have the IP should have been part of the E3 presentation. Sega's absence is strange and unhelpful. Sony have been off message in the last two days and have not got a consistent line regarding their involvement, i've heard 6 different lines from Sony spokesperson's which is unforgiveable. It all points to a bit of a mess on the comms front. In contrast the community have been incredible and masked some of these early mistakes.

Bigwilma has received a thanks from: Himuro
Bigwilma

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:25 am

To be honest if you look at this

http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html

It's a really cool introduction to non-gamers, but it's somewhat obscured.

Maybe they could but a link in the kickstarter with "new to shenmue ? Let us explain! " or something like that.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby joka » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 am

shredingskin wrote: To be honest if you look at this

http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html

It's a really cool introduction to non-gamers, but it's somewhat obscured.

Maybe they could but a link in the kickstarter with "new to shenmue ? Let us explain! " or something like that.

100% agree- really good for noobs but needs referencing on Kickstarter!

I don't know anything about KS to really comment on how effective the marketing is but Shenmue 3 got referenced in all gaming media I'm sure after the announcement and a lot of mainstream media also and the funding broke records so to say its been terrible is extreme imo... Always room for improvement though!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby myshtuff » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:24 am

The Shenmue.info site isn't even updated at the bottom with updated Kickstarter info like new reward tiers and stretch goals being met. They need to get their shit together.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III