We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's funding

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's funding

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:28 am

Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

People think that Sony/Suzuki are using the Kickstarter to gauge interest, and after hitting 2 Million, Sony will step up and fund it. This is what many people believe (Thanks to misinformation from NeoGAF), and as a result, the Kickstarter pledges have slowed down considerably.

I imagine non-hardcore fans would be like "Why do I have to pledge more than $29 when Sony is going to fund it anyway?"

HOWEVER, it turns out Sony isn't really funding the game... They are just helping with the funding. In fact, Yu Suzuki has other sources of funding (Sony included) already secured, but he said he expect the majority of the budget to come from Kickstarter. Meaning Sony's not helping them by that much.

If we want to see a proper Shenmue 3, we must overfund the Kickstarter. And to do that, we should clear up this misunderstanding first so that non-fans would pledge.

Post this in whatever forum you frequent (Preferably NeoGAF, as it's quite influental on gaming media).

Sources:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -shenmue-3

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/an-i ... i-yoshida/ (Sony's Yoshida)

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 5892300808

Kickstarter Money going to Developers. Not Sony. (Dan Hsu - Sony Employee)
https://twitter.com/DanShoeHsu/status/6 ... 8326345728

Cedric Biscay Tweet (Sony only funding PS4 port from PC)
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 2851259392

- Adam Boyes says there providing "Some Funding"
- Yu Suzuki says the majority of investment will be from Kickstarter.
- Sony's john drake confirms that Sony are not the only ones providing additional funding (at 15:48)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dL198n2d0o -Adam Boyes explains Sony's role with Shenmue 3

Last but not least, a quote from Kickstarter campaign it self:

The more we can raise during this campaign, the more Shenmue 3 will come alive. Together, we can make it happen. Together, we can make a Shenmue that surpasses even the originals!

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Sonne2
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: We should clear up the misunderstanding about Sony's fun

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:32 am

I've seen idiots posting the same thing about Sony footing the entire development cost on Eurogamer, IGN and even in the Kickstarter comments. I'm doing my best to try to convince them otherwise but it's not sinking in. :roll:

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: shenmueilike
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:38 am

Sonoshee wrote: I've seen idiots posting the same thing about Sony footing the entire development cost on Eurogamer, IGN and even in the Kickstarter comments. I'm doing my best to try to convince them otherwise but it's not sinking in. :roll:

Naturally, anything that produces drama will stick around, even if it's debunked. But we gotta do our best, the clock is ticking!

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Nahovil » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:51 am

It takes a bit of imagination to infer this sentence from your source.

Adam Boyes has conveyed in two or three occasions that Sony is backing the project substantially.

Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:55 am

Nahovil wrote:

How? It couldn't be any clearer.

- As far as money goes, he expects the game's investment will primarily come from individual backers, so he wants them all to be happy with the finished product. Doesn't sound like Sony and others are giving them all THAT much.

That's sounds clear-cut to me.

Adam Boyes has conveyed in two or three occasions that Sony is backing the project substantially.

"Backing it" would include promoting the game, when asked about funding, he said it's "some".
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:59 am

Nahovil wrote:

^ I imagine through promotion and other types of support, not necessarily funding.

Sonoshee has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Esppiral, Sonne2
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:26 am

That to me are 3 conflicting reports and why I am not paying any attention to anything that anyone says about funding. We won't know whats going on behind the scenes so I'm not going to fret over it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:28 am

Peter wrote:

That to me are 3 conflicting reports and why I am not paying any attention to anything that anyone says about funding. We won't know whats going on behind the scenes so I'm not going to fret over it.

How is it conflicting?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Luke_09 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:47 am

As I've said in a previous thread, the fact of the matter is, NONE OF US know exactly how much external funding this game is getting. It's all speculation at the moment, that's as much as we do know!

Until that time comes, all we have is the KickStarter, that's the only thing at the moment that is giving us real monetary values!

That's why we cannot assume that others are heavily funding this game until we know for sure. From the sounds of things we will never know for sure.

Therefore we MUST keep promoting the KickStarter and getting the word out there. That's the only option we have. We can't take the risk of making assumptions that others are behind this heavily!
Last edited by Luke_09 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke_09 has received 4 thanks from: SheepheadCG, ShinChuck, Sonne2, Sonoshee
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:50 am

Luke_09 wrote: As I've said in a precious thread, the fact of the matter is, NONE OF US know exactly how much external funding this game is getting. It's all speculation at the moment, that's as much as we do know!

Until that time comes, all we have is the KickStarter, that's the only thing at the moment that is giving us real monetary values! That's why we cannot assume that others are heavily funding this game until we know for sure. From the sounds of things we will never know for sure.

Therefore we MUST keep promoting the KickStarter and getting the word out there.

No matter how much you promote the Kickstarter, if the average gamer thinks a Multi-Billion corporation is footing the bill, why would he pledge? First we must clear this misunderstanding, then promote.

None of us know the exact amount of external funding, but we know Suzuki is expecting the majority of the budget to come from Kickstarter. This (and Sony executives comments) give clear indication that external funding isn't as much as people would like to believe.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Luke_09 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:03 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Luke_09 wrote: As I've said in a precious thread, the fact of the matter is, NONE OF US know exactly how much external funding this game is getting. It's all speculation at the moment, that's as much as we do know!

Until that time comes, all we have is the KickStarter, that's the only thing at the moment that is giving us real monetary values! That's why we cannot assume that others are heavily funding this game until we know for sure. From the sounds of things we will never know for sure.

Therefore we MUST keep promoting the KickStarter and getting the word out there.

No matter how much you promote the Kickstarter, if the average gamer thinks a Multi-Billion corporation is footing the bill, why would he pledge? First we must clear this misunderstanding, then promote.

None of us know the exact amount of external funding, but we know Suzuki is expecting the majority of the budget to come from Kickstarter. This (and Sony executives comments) give clear indication that external funding isn't as much as people would like to believe.

But the fact is, none of us know if there even is a misunderstanding! There's a lot of speculation about how much external funding the game is getting and there are a lot of unknowns. That's why we have to play it safe and assume that KickStarter is the primary source of funding.

But I do agree with you, it's essential that we explain to people that we don't know how much Sony is putting behind this, therefore we can't assume they are pumping millions into the project and therefore KickStarter is the only reliable measuring-stick to all of this!

As for how we spread the word that we don't know the extent of Sonys involvement and therefore the huge amount of uncertainty? That's more tricky. How do we raise awareness of this, because that should be our priority now as you mentioned.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:05 am

Thing is, if they tighten things up with Sony a bit, we might start to see the customised PS4s, the PS4 boxed copy etc.. adding more tiers.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:06 am

Luke_09 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

But the fact is, none of us know if there even is a misunderstanding!

We do.
The popular scenario out there is that the Kickstarter is just a ploy from Sony to gauge interest as Sony funds the entire project afterwards, but as I explained in this thread, it's not true at all. In fact, Kickstarter seems to be the primary source of funding and Sony (and other funding sources) are helping.

The only uncertain element is "How Much?"
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:07 am

Remember when we didn't have to worry about this shit and when Shenmue 3 wasn't being made? Man... those were the days... wondering if we'd ever get a game. Instead, the project has been funded and Yu Suzuki has full creative control on the project. But at what cost? .... at what cost?

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonne2
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Luke_09 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:23 am

Rikitatsu wrote:

But the fact is, none of us know if there even is a misunderstanding! There's a lot of speculation about how much external funding the game is getting and there are a lot of unknowns. That's why we have to play it safe and assume that KickStarter is the primary source of funding.

But I do agree with you, it's essential that we explain to people that we don't know how much Sony is putting behind this, therefore we can't assume they are pumping millions into the project and therefore KickStarter is the only reliable measuring-stick to all of this!

As for how we spread the word that we don't know the extent of Sonys involvement and therefore the huge amount of uncertainty? That's more tricky. How do we raise awareness of this, because that should be our priority now as you mentioned.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III