Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 am

Riku Rose wrote: Just seen as well that they haven't stated if this is AM or PM.

Probably AM if not they should use 24 hour notation.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:40 am

Jack wrote:
Himuro wrote: For a new page.

Himuro wrote: I have compiled a best of list of all of Shenmue Dojo's questions and concerns throughout this entire forum. I hope I did it with accuracy and respect. Please comment on how these may be improved and do not come off as combative towards Suzuki-san. Please share it on GAF and other sites so we may have some communication and sharing of ideas between our fanbase.

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. The Kickstarter page isn't helpful for newcomers to Shenmue as it could be. For example, it doesn't accurately show what Shenmue is or why it's special to people. However, the website does. There feels like there's a lack of communication between the Kickstarter and the official site. For example, there is a Shenmue history video on the website that isn't on the Kickstarter. There's also an interview with Tak Hirai that isn't on the Kickstarter. Could you possibly make the Kickstarter page more accurately convey what Shenmue is and why it matters to people who have never heard of it by communicating more between the Kickstarter and the official website?

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.

It's a great list and between this and gavinGT's list I think all bases are pretty well covered, but to be honest I think some of the questions involving kickstarter are a bit harsh. If you were to ask a question about kickstarter I wouldn't start out by criticizing what you think is wrong with it, I'd simply ask, "Why doesn't kickstarter feature ______? or "Will the Kickstarter page include ________ "?

So for example for question 3 instead of starting out by saying "the kickstarter page isn't helpful" you could say "Will you be updating the kickstarter page to make it more informative for newcomers to the series?" Or you could go the q #17 route and make it sound like more of a personal complaint as opposed to an outright criticism.

It's unlikely that anyone will get more than one question in at a time so hopefully people will review both lists and if they see a question hasn't been asked yet they will try to do so.

At the very least someone should tell Yu Suzuki they love him..

Great feedback.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Jack
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

Jack, I have rephrased the question.

How is this?

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

Himuro has received a thanks from: Jack
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby nzk0 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 am

Himuro wrote: Jack, I have rephrased the question.

How is this?

3. Why does the Kickstarter page not give a good summary of the series thus far? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

THIS. This needs to be the first question asked!
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am

Please, please add:

How far will Shenmue 3 take the Shenmue story?
How many games past 3 will be necessary to finish the story?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:59 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Please, please add:

How far will Shenmue 3 take the Shenmue story?
How many games past 3 will be necessary to finish the story?

We kind of already have that question on the list.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Himuro wrote: Jack, I have rephrased the question.

How is this?

Much better :D, but the first part still seems a bit too accusatory, i'd prefer something like "the kickstarter page seems to be lacking a detailed summary of the series so far, are there any plans to update the page in order to provide more information for Shenmue newcomers?

But the way you have it now is a.o.k too, the only thing I worry about is keeping the cynicism to a minimum.
Jack
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm

add a question, about whether character polls will compromise his vision, please.

Sorry to keep going on about this, I just think it's genuinely horrible idea.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 pm

mue 26 wrote: add a question, about whether character polls will compromise his vision, please.

Sorry to keep going on about this, I just think it's genuinely horrible idea.

I'll add it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Updated questions:

1. Will Shenmue III enable PayPal or a means to donate the project when the Kickstarter ends? Projects like Star Citizen gained tens of millions in donations by allowing this.

2. In Shenmue III will Ryo's notebook and Timex watch return?

3. the kickstarter page seems to be lacking a detailed summary of the series so far, are there any plans to update the page in order to provide more information for Shenmue newcomers? It makes the series not come off as friendly for newcomers. Also, the Kickstarter page does not have the sites updates on it. That could be useful information for backers, would you consider implementing it?

4. In Shenmue III, will battles return? There has been talk that you are simplifying them, does this mean we will no longer get Virtua Fighter like fights? How will fights work? Will they be entirely QTE-based as seen in modern titles like Heavy Rain or will they still have corresponding punch and kick buttons like before?

5. How accurately will Shenmue III be compared to your original vision of the game or will there be major compromises?

6. Will Shenmue III be at Tokyo Game Show, GDC, and PAX or only Monaco?

7. Many fans want the option to play the game with a Japanese voice track. Is YSnet considering implementing this?

8. Are all the towns listed in the Kickstarter stretch goals in the game already, or are the stretch goals only there as a means to help give them more features and spice?

9. Sony and other investors are only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

10. It would be helpful if the Kickstarter made stretch goals more straightforward. As they are now, they are quite vague and confusing, even to experienced Shenmue fans. For example, what exactly is rapport?

11. Will the gameplay in Shenmue III be more contemporary or will it be more in line with past Shenmue iterations?

12. Seeing as how the game is set in a remote forested region how sparsely populated will the game be, will there be wildlife?

13. What will the level of npc interactivity be and how detailed will their behavior be?

14. How much of an influence will fan base feedback have during the making of this game?

15. Will you try to finish the story over the course of 2-3 more games as you originally envisioned?

16. Online is a big component of modern day gaming, is there any consideration for incorporating some type of online game play? Some type of mini-games, co-op missions or fighting modes?

17. I am new to Shenmue and don't find the Kickstarter promotional video to be terribly informative. Are there plans in making a new one? I'd like to back it on Kickstarter but nothing on the page is telling me what Shenmue remotely is.

18. Will character polls compromise your artistic vision?
Last edited by Himuro on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I keep refreshing the Reddit page, but see nothing. I guess it's PM after all?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby myshtuff » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:17 pm

I think another way of phrasing 18 would be "How will all the backers be contributing to Shenmue 3 though kickstarter polls and surveys? What will we be able to decide?" Or maybe just add this as another question?

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Jack
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Himuro wrote:9. Sony and other investors only funding a part of the games budget. Does this mean most of the budget will come from the Kickstarter? More importantly, how much does Suzuki-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue III?

Great job so far Himuro! I found that you have a typo in question 9. Sony and other investors ARE only funding a part of the games budget. :)

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Himuro
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Another question to ask at the AMA is at what time the AMA will happen.

Also he should talk to the kickstarter team about the benefits of using am and pm.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I keep refreshing the Reddit page, but see nothing. I guess it's PM after all?

PM is really bad. We need this during the day time when most people are awake in the west. That means he's literally doing an AMA at 11:30 PM my time and 12:30 AM on the east coast. Even worse, it'll take place 5 AM in England. I'm really starting to get worried about this game and this marketing, because it really feels like Yu is stubborn and dead set on doing things his way to an extreme fault, even going as far as doing an AMA in the middle of the night while trying to cater to western players. AMA's are supposed to be great for information and exposure, you won't be getting great exposure doing this thing in the middle of the damn night, Yu. Why in the world did he go back to Japan? So soon and during E3 of all times? Why didn't the Kickstarter page reveal whether it was AM or PM? This game is going to be a massive bomb at this rate, because the communication to the fans and potential fans feels like it was done by someone completely out of touch and had no idea what they are doing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III