It's official - Sony helping Shenmue 3 a little with funding

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: It's official - Sony helping develop and publish Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 am

Sonoshee wrote: Might be worthwhile updating the topic title now that we know Suzuki is publishing the game himself?

Better?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: It's official - Sony helping FUND Shenmue 3! NOT publish

Postby ShenBlue92 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:11 am

Guys, this situations is really strange.
What I believe is that without a major investment there's no possibility for a game like Shenmue 3 to be made.
Kickstarter is purely a marketing strategy which was used to glorify the hype behind the Shenmue legacy and unique situation in gaming history.
There are probably more investors that we know, and I believe Sony is one of them, it's not possible that they have done all of this because of a simple attachment to the series or a friendship with Yu Suzuki, and I don't even remotely think that Sony or Ys Net are really believing that a Kickstarter campaign alone will suffice to produce a game like Shenmue, no matter how guinnes world record breaking it is.
What I believe is that Sony did expect the Kickstarter to be successful , maybe not this much, and now they are more than committed to it: revealing a major Sony funding now would stop the donations.
the money from kick might be used for extra stuff, promotion, and maybe for an HD remake of the first 2 games.

Sony wouldn't risk to fail what it seems to be an exclusivity deal with a bomb like Shenmue.

That being said, we should keep up and promote the donations. They are useful, and mostly, people actually can DECIDE if they want to partecipate or not. Shenmue case might represent a new way of developing videogames, starting from fans
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:46 am

The topic title isnt factually correct according to Yu Suzuki's famitsu interview.
Suzuki has stated the Kickstarter is the primary source of funding for the project. While Sony have said that they are also helping to support it through their 3rd party support.
Sony are NOT bankrolling Shenmue 3 just because they reached 2 million.
Sony are helping with any development needs for the PS4 and obviously with marketing.
We need to get everyone on the same page here, theirs alot of click bait articles going around online claiming to stop donating to the kickstarter because of this.
This might even be visibly hurting the Kickstarter as people have been noticing the dollars going up and down majorly in the past day or so that they click bait articles have been going on.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby jay_mack » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Another article has just come out throwing judgment around with no facts. This was the first hit when I googled 'Shenmue Kickstarter' above the kickstarter itself.
jay_mack

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 pm

Shuhei Yoshida E3 Highlights:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/ ... t-e3-2015/

“I was talking to Suzuki-san last year when I saw him at an event. He said that, as so many people were asking for Shenmue III, he was exploring a good way to restart the project – and he has a really good relationship with Sega who own the IP. So I’m really happy to see that the SCEA third party relations team was able to work out an agreement to support his Kickstarter project. Once the Kickstarter project is funded we will offer the same kind of support that we’ve been doing with many independent projects.

“The reaction to the announcement was so great. I had dinner after the show with Hashimoto-san, who is the top guy on Final Fantasy series at Square-Enix, and Suzuki-san on the same table, and we were such happy people!”

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Axm wrote: The topic title isnt factually correct according to Yu Suzuki's famitsu interview.
Suzuki has stated the Kickstarter is the primary source of funding for the project. While Sony have said that they are also helping to support it through their 3rd party support.
Sony are helping with any development needs for the PS4 and obviously with marketing.
We need to get everyone on the same page here, theirs alot of click bait articles going around online claiming to stop donating to the kickstarter because of this.
This might even be visibly hurting the Kickstarter as people have been noticing the dollars going up and down majorly in the past day or so that they click bait articles have been going on.

If anyone has any ideas by all means? I have changed it again.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: If anyone has any ideas by all means? I have changed it again.

Just the facts: SONY gives its support to Shenmue 3

They mentioned marketing support, and a shrug from Adam Boyes when asked about actual funding numbers.
Last edited by sand4fish on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Axm wrote: The topic title isnt factually correct according to Yu Suzuki's famitsu interview.

If anyone has any ideas by all means? I have changed it again.

It's pretty great. But you need to change the content of the OP. Since it says:
Gio Corsi confirms it on Twitch. BEST news EVER got better. Kickstarter was just a test for us to put our money where our mouths are.

And there's the link to that nasty NeoGAF thread.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: It's pretty great. But you need to change the content of the OP. Since it says:
Gio Corsi confirms it on Twitch. BEST news EVER got better. Kickstarter was just a test for us to put our money where our mouths are.

I agree. That's sounds a bit insulting and more likely to turn off potential pledges.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: It's official - Sony helping Shenmue 3 a little with fun

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:57 pm

You say insulting I say it was misinformation from various sources and vague details which we now have more clarity on now, back then it seemed like Boyes was saying we needed to prove Shenmue's worth to the execs and that once the goal was reached they would step in, now the information has changed entirely.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: You say insulting I say it was misinformation from various sources and vague details which we now have more clarity on now, back then it seemed like Boyes was saying we needed to prove Shenmue's worth to the execs and that once the goal was reached they would step in, now the information has changed entirely.

I don't mean to offend you at all. I apologize if it sounded that way.
Still, we need to update some of the statements and speculations done recently as they might affect the campaign in a negative manner. Just trying to help.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm

Sure thing, was just saying, it is pretty obvious to see how confusing the whole thing has been for some people, myself included. When I get back from holiday I plan on doing some front page work for things like this.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Shenmuehua
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby shenmueilike » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 am

that means sony only wanna pay a little part of shenmue and most the budget of shenmue is still depends kickstarter ?
shenmueilike

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am

Yes. Does sound like it. Sony will help with getting the PS4 version perfected and some marketing towards the game, such as it showing up at games events, game trailers and the like, but actual game development costs will be funded by Kickstarter and the fans!
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby hoonding » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Shuhei Yoshida E3 Highlights:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/ ... t-e3-2015/

“I was talking to Suzuki-san last year when I saw him at an event. He said that, as so many people were asking for Shenmue III, he was exploring a good way to restart the project – and he has a really good relationship with Sega who own the IP. So I’m really happy to see that the SCEA third party relations team was able to work out an agreement to support his Kickstarter project. Once the Kickstarter project is funded we will offer the same kind of support that we’ve been doing with many independent projects.

“The reaction to the announcement was so great. I had dinner after the show with Hashimoto-san, who is the top guy on Final Fantasy series at Square-Enix, and Suzuki-san on the same table, and we were such happy people!”

That's Hashimoto from Squeenix.. indeed, for all we know Squeenix (and Sega) might be among the "unknown" investors themselves. Suzuki-san is a well connected man.
hoonding

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III