Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Postby Amir » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:16 am

Remember to upvote the AMA itself for visibility, hope this convinces more people to back the Kickstarter!
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Arm Wrestler » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:19 am

We need to link the AMA in other related subreddits too if it's not there already.

Arm Wrestler has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Arm Wrestler
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:21 am

SO little questions about the actual gameplay of shenmue III
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:22 am

HedlessChickn wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I'm really against the English dub, as this would take out a huge chunk of budget that could have been allocated in other more important aspects of the game.

Can't tell if trolling or not.

But I'll bite anyway.

You do realize that a HUGE part of the fan base speaks English, right?

And do you really think the game will sell at all (to anyone other than rabid fans and even then not so much) if there is no English dub?

When I was working at a video store and Pan's Labyrinth came out, people were PISSED that it was only in Spanish. That movie was INCREDIBLE.

I seriously cannot believe that anyone could have this opinion. It's just beyond absurd.

I'm sure you are aware that dubbing is not cheap right? Plus Shenmue has VO for every single character. So if Shenmue 3 were to have English and Japanese dub, I wonder how many new npcs Yu Suzuki would have to sacrifice to accommodate your ENGLISH must have attitude. Why not Chinese as well? The story takes place in China after all, and the potential of selling copies in the Chinese market is more appealing than in the USA, where the Shenmue's sales proved to be not so great in the past right?

sand4fish has received a thanks from: OL
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:25 am

sand4fish wrote:
HedlessChickn wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I'm really against the English dub, as this would take out a huge chunk of budget that could have been allocated in other more important aspects of the game.

But I'll bite anyway.

And do you really think the game will sell at all (to anyone other than rabid fans and even then not so much) if there is no English dub?

When I was working at a video store and Pan's Labyrinth came out, people were PISSED that it was only in Spanish. That movie was INCREDIBLE.

I seriously cannot believe that anyone could have this opinion. It's just beyond absurd.

Plus Shenmue has VO for every single character.

Yeah but that doesn't mean shenmue 3 will since you know different budgets etc. They may go the Yakuza route where only important Characters are voiced. It's really too early to jump to conclusions like that.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BigTuna » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:26 am

Himuro wrote:
Q: Any possibility of a bicycle finally being added to Shenmue 3? Thank you so much again, Yu!

A: There is a 60 horsepower bike in Shenmue 1. For Shenmue, 3 I was thinking about something with 1 horsepower.

I can't believe he answered! That's really incredible. I'm very curious what he meant by his answer though. Horse not bike maybe?

BigTuna has received a thanks from: Anthony817
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:26 am

Calm down it showed English speaking in the kickstarter video and it was shown in the USA so I am sure English is coming on what we have already seen. It should include both languages and be an option to choose what you want.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:30 am

[–]shenmue_500k 1 punto hace una hora
Our twenty eighth question from the 500k community. -Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?
enlaceembedguardarreportarregalar goldRESPONDER
[–]Yu_Suzuki[S] 9 puntos hace un minuto
I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

interesting
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby HedlessChickn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:32 am

sand4fish wrote:
HedlessChickn wrote:

But I'll bite anyway.

I'm sure you are aware that dubbing is not cheap right? Plus Shenmue has VO for every single character. So if Shenmue 3 were to have English and Japanese dub, I wonder how many new npcs Yu Suzuki would have to sacrifice to accommodate your ENGLISH must have attitude. Why not Chinese as well? The story takes place in China after all, and the potential of selling copies in the Chinese market is more appealing than in the USA, where the Shenmue's sales proved to be not so great in the past right?

Of course it costs money..
But it would most likely cost them more money (in sales) not to.
I'm sure that Yu is more than aware of this.

Would I go so far as to cancel my donation?

No. I'm a big enough fan to take it in any form.

But that's just it, I'm a fan.

Newcomers will be put off of it and will speak so. Can you imagine the backlash?

HedlessChickn has received a thanks from: Anthony817
HedlessChickn

PSN: HedlessChickn
XBL: HedlessChickn
Steam: HedlessChickn
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Arm Wrestler » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:33 am

I hope the minigames from the previous games return and you can play them online. Now you can play Lucky Hit or try Arm Wrestling and even fighting online! That would be great.
Arm Wrestler

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:34 am

Q: 鈴木さんの意見で,アーケードゲームの真髄は何ですか? その影響シェンムの中でありますか? In Suzuki-san’s opinion, what is the essence of arcade games? Are those influences in Shenmue?

A: アーケードでずっと3分に表現にしばられてきたために時間制約のないコンソールでのびのびとゲームを表現したかった結果、シェンムーというゲームが出来上がった。With an arcade game, you are restricted to a 3 minute window to express what the game is. That is how I made games for the longest time. I wanted to create a game that could be played at a more leisurely pace, so I created what ended up being Shenmue.

Q: Our twenty eighth question from the 500k community. -Will Shenmue 3 have any sort of multiplayer component? Perhaps Co-op or a versus mode?

A: I am thinking about something that would resemble that.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby flip » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 am

Yu is going to blow all of our expectations out of the water.

flip has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, shredingskin, Supa
flip
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 am

To be honest, marketwise I think it's better to have only eng dub.

As a fan, I prefer more content over voice acting.

To be critical, I like both eng and jap ryo voices, but the directing is so bad in eng that I kinda prefer jap so at least I don't know what I'm hearing. But nostalgia is nostalgia.

If the VO direction would not be in hands of japanese (or french) people, I would side with only english voice.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Anthony817
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 am

south carmain wrote:Yeah but that doesn't mean shenmue 3 will since you know different budgets etc. They may go the Yakuza route where only important Characters are voiced. It's really too early to jump to conclusions like that.

I would never imagine myself playing Shenmue 3 and have interactions with mute npcs. So you want a downgraded version of the game? Budget aside, follow my logic here. For every actor hired Yu Suzuki could have made a new NPC or implement new elements to the game. You simply can't have both as this is not realistic. So pick your posion.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 am

Q: Yu, are you really going to be signing your autograph on the illustration for the $300 kickstarter signed collectors edition? So far there is almost 2000 backers, that is a lot of illustrations to sign! 2.) Will you please keep the japanese audio for Shenmue III? A lot of fan loves the Japanese voice overs over the US voice overs.

A: Of course I will write them all myself!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III