Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Postby staplepuffs27 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 am

Himuro wrote:
Q: Yu, are you really going to be signing your autograph on the illustration for the $300 kickstarter signed collectors edition? So far there is almost 2000 backers, that is a lot of illustrations to sign! 2.) Will you please keep the japanese audio for Shenmue III? A lot of fan loves the Japanese voice overs over the US voice overs.

A: Of course I will write them all myself!
Dude is a badass. One of the longest AMA's I've seen too.

staplepuffs27 has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Himuro
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Supa » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 am

Yeah, he really is eager to interact with the fans. The more he answers, the more confident and relaxed I am about Shenmue III...this will be a masterful game, just like I and II.

Supa has received a thanks from: flip
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:39 am

sand4fish wrote:
south carmain wrote:Yeah but that doesn't mean shenmue 3 will since you know different budgets etc. They may go the Yakuza route where only important Characters are voiced. It's really too early to jump to conclusions like that.

I would never imagine myself playing Shenmue 3 and have interactions with mute npcs. So you want a downgraded version of the game?

Did you fall on your head as a child? I never said that's what I wanted I said that very well might be what we have to deal with considering that the budget for this game probably won't be as considerable compared to the first 2 games. No one gives a damn about if you can imagine yourself playing shenmue with mute NPCs. If they don't have the money to voice them all then they don't have the money.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shenhaZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:42 am

I played 2 without npc's voice because cd-r is only 700mb. It was ok.

shenhaZ has received a thanks from: south carmain
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:42 am

I care more about the game systems than voice acting, autographs and what kinda flora is shenmue.

We still don't know pretty much anything.

Not even if there will be free battle, what is his new idea about qte and scrolls, not even know what the stretch goals actually do.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby staplepuffs27 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 am

south carmain wrote:
sand4fish wrote:
south carmain wrote:Yeah but that doesn't mean shenmue 3 will since you know different budgets etc. They may go the Yakuza route where only important Characters are voiced. It's really too early to jump to conclusions like that.

I would never imagine myself playing Shenmue 3 and have interactions with mute npcs. So you want a downgraded version of the game?

Did you fall on your head as a child? I never said that's what I wanted I said that very well might be what we have to deal with considering that the budget for this game probably won't be as considerable compared to the first 2 games. No one gives a damn about if you can imagine yourself playing shenmue with mute NPCs. If they don't have the money to voice them all then they don't have the money.
Why are you comparing the budget to the first two games? You realize they don't have to make the Shenmue graphics engine (does that have a name???) this time right? They don't have to start from scratch. Different times my friend.

staplepuffs27 has received a thanks from: Anthony817
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:44 am

shredingskin wrote: I care more about the game systems than voice acting, autographs and what kinda flora is shenmue.

Not even if there will be free battle, what is his new idea about qte and scrolls, not even know what the stretch goals actually do.

He commented on want to do free battles. Hold your horses. The AMA has over 800 comments, do you think you can translate all of those for Yu right now?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 am

shenhaZ wrote: I played 2 without npc's voice because cd-r is only 700mb. It was ok.

Yeah it didn't bother me either. It's not like they had anything interesting to say anyway.
staplepuffs27 wrote:
south carmain wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

Why are you comparing the budget to the first two games? You realize they don't have to make the Shenmue graphics engine (does that have a name???) this time right? They don't have to start from scratch. Different times my friend.

Because the fact that they are using Unreal is proof enough that they are saving costs while in the first 2 games they had near unlimited funding from SEGA which allowed them to polish them as much as they needed. They didn't have to create the engine for the second game either yet it still cost in excess of 20 million to make.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:49 am

Himuro wrote:
shredingskin wrote: I care more about the game systems than voice acting, autographs and what kinda flora is shenmue.

He commented on want to do free battles. Hold your horses. The AMA has over 800 comments, do you think you can translate all of those for Yu right now?

Not really, he talked about training and somekind of online multiplayer.

BTW voice synthesis today sounds quite ok.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby staplepuffs27 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:51 am

south carmain wrote:
shenhaZ wrote: I played 2 without npc's voice because cd-r is only 700mb. It was ok.

Yeah it didn't bother me either. It's not like they had anything interesting to say anyway.
staplepuffs27 wrote:
south carmain wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

Because the fact that they are using Unreal is proof enough that they are saving costs while in the first 2 games they had near unlimited funding from SEGA which allowed them to polish them as much as they needed. They didn't have to create the engine for the second game either yet it still cost in excess of 20 million to make.
How is that proof? The reason they built the engine in the first place is because no 3D engine was in place to create the immersion they wanted. Now, with modern game advancements, obviously many games and engines have this ability. Many AAA games (not saying Shenmue will be AAA), use Unreal on smaller budgets than the original Shenmue.

There is absolutely no reason for them build their own engine when they have Unreal right in front of them. Yu has already stated that Unreal allows him to get close to the look he wants for Shenmue.

staplepuffs27 has received a thanks from: Anthony817
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:52 am

shredingskin wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Not really, he talked about training and somekind of online multiplayer.

BTW voice synthesis today sounds quite ok.

Speak of the devil. You need to have patience.

Q: Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It's not clear to me what a "Rapport System" or "Character Perspective System" entails.

A: They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:52 am

HedlessChickn wrote:
Of course it costs money..
But it would most likely cost them more money (in sales) not to.
I'm sure that Yu is more than aware of this.

Would I go so far as to cancel my donation?

No. I'm a big enough fan to take it in any form.

But that's just it, I'm a fan.

Newcomers will be put off of it and will speak so. Can you imagine the backlash?

I rather prefer the loss in sales than losing my only chance of playing Shenmue 3 with all the budget put into polishing its game mechanics and world immersion, full glory, instead of money spent on language catering.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 am

Guys, can you stop debating that in this thread? This is for the AMA.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Arm Wrestler
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 am

Do you have any more details to share about the stretch goals? It's not clear to me what a "Rapport System" or "Character Perspective System" entails.
enlaceembedguardarreportarregalar goldRESPONDER
[–]Yu_Suzuki[S] 8 puntos hace 2 minutos
They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story.

So rapport system is what he talked about shenhua's tests. Perspective system is still kinda criptic. Will it tell you "this guy doesn't like you" ?

Interesting to know "shenhua's actions", will shenhua be somekind of AI that will do different things and actually do more "sidequests" or things in a different way ??

color me hyped.
Last edited by shredingskin on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:55 am

Q: What will Ryo do to earn money in Shenmue 3?

As great and engrossing as the story and gameplay were in Shenmue 1 and 2, I (and many others) really really liked the forklift driving. It was like I could learn a new (video game) skill, get good at it, and putter around the docks like a badass.

A: There will be part time jobs that will be indicative of those you would find in China. In the Stretch goals there will also be the old favorites.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III