What pace will you play through Shenmue III?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What pace will you play through Shenmue III?

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:22 am

We've been waiting for this game for a very long time.

When you finally have it in front of you, what pace will you play through? Blistering, like drinking from an oasis you've found after walking days in the desert? Or will you be more measured?

I plan on playing slowly, taking in every moment with the environment and its characters. I want to keep that new Shenmue feeling going as long as possible. Hopefully the Kickstarter funding will end well and we'll have the game we all hope for that's big in scope.

The only challenge with my approach is I'll probably be avoiding the forums initially to keep the experience as spoiler-free as possible.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Re: What pace will you play through Shenmue III?

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 am

I worry about the production process spoiling aspects of the game -- I'd like to be involved, but I'd also like to experience the game as "fresh" as possible.

I'll play it with no real speed in mind though. Just at whatever pace I happen to finish the game -- quick or otherwise.

Thief has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:28 am

I will take the same approach I took with Shenmue 1 and 2 (in fact, I still have this approach even when I replay through them), which is to play leisurely, slowly and try to experience everything I can. I want to experience all the rare small touches I can, such as those scenes that are easily missed. I know I probably won't see everything first time (if it's anything like 1 and 2), without using a guide, but I will try to experience everything I can.

In 1 and 2, rushing through the story feels like less than half the game. I expect Shenmue 3 will be similar.

I will play the same as you, Mitsuzuki, and try and experience as much of the world and characters as possible, without rushing through the story. I will also try and avoid spoilers and too many discussions online.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:30 am

Mitsuzuki wrote:The only challenge with my approach is I'll probably be avoiding the forums initially to keep the experience as spoiler-free as possible.

haha, i'll do the same. back when shenmue II came out, i hadn't played through the game yet, when someone on phantasy star online told me about the shenmue tree in shenhua's garden. worst spoiler i've ever experienced. the scar still burns. :lol: :cry:

and yeah, of course i'll take my time and leave no stone unturned, trying to delay any progress of the story for as long as possible, soaking up the atmosphere and everything. :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:11 am

No doubt the other side of the coin is to play through the game quickly to allow more discovery in subsequent play throughs, and to be active in forum discussions. But I know my nature and that won't be the case. ;)

KeiyaE315- that's a bummer of a spoiler!

Thief- that's a good point- the community here will be very much on top of whatever information comes out as the game develops, and we may indeed have a say in what will be in the final product. I hope Mr. Suzuki keeps enough things hidden up his sleeves to surprise us.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am

Ya I will be playing it preferably as slow as possible and probably with my 5.1 headphones on to completely block out the outside world. It will be the epitome of what Fox News is afraid of.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby SelfActualized » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:24 am

It will take me 14 years to finish Shenmue 3
SelfActualized
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Locke_cole » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 am

Slow and Steady, I also wont be on the forums or much of the internet from start to finish, as to not spoil anything that might not be spoiled at that point.
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:37 am

Reprise wrote: I will take the same approach I took with Shenmue 1 and 2 (in fact, I still have this approach even when I replay through them), which is to play leisurely, slowly and try to experience everything I can.

Yep I agree. That was half the fun with Shenmue, taking your time and soaking everything up. I'll be doing the same with S3.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:44 am

As slow as possible as once it's finished I'll be left wondering wherever if we will get a shenmue 4 or not.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 am

Slowly.

I'll be entering every store, talking to everybody and collecting toys. I'll definitely be avoiding this forum like the plague (for fear of spoilers.)
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:05 am

I'll never beat it. I'll have Ryo spend the entire time in the small arcade, playing QTE Fight, Darts and whatever SEGA arcade titles they can get in there.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Kiske
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby redline » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:07 am

i'll probably do what i did with mgs4 & dedicate all my time to completing it, non stop. :)

its going to be hard but there will become a point when i will have to try and switch off from any shenmue 3 news as i really want to play it fresh, without knowing anything about it. (my fault for watching them but i think mgs5 has been spoiled a bit by all the long gameplay videos :sad: )
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:21 am

Oh once I finish it once though, ill definitely be doing streams all the time of me playing. I will stream the shit out of that game. I will log probably 1000 hours into Twitch off just Shenmue 3.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:27 am

I will definately take more time playing through this then I did with the previous two game.
I don't feel that I rushed them in any way but I will take in the scenery much more, talk to every NPC and just look into every nook and cranny, try everything the game has to offer. Just get the maximum out of it.

I will try to get around most of the later news towards the release of the game. This will be killing me, trying to avoid things that are posted and especially my own desire to just goddamn look at the stuff. But it will be worth it, if I can stick to it. Just like with Shenmue II where I hardly knew anything about the game before I started it.

I hope they will keep the reveals in the trailers and screenshots as minimal as possible.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue III