Reddit AMA Answers

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Reddit AMA Answers

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Himuro wrote: Im so proud that Dojo and I curated so many quality questions and we got most of them answered.

Thank you and to everyone & this thread for making Reddit comprehensible. It was a genuinely fascinating read.

I still don't see why Paypal is under consideration, I was expecting it upon signing up to KickStarter for this.

As neat was it is to hear of past ideas returning in Shenmue 3, some I am not so keen on. Forklift driving/racing was fun but I consider that a feature of Shenmue 1, I wan't a new mini-game/job feature which isn't identical to the previou games. Reading that got me all excited though, going to return to more Shenmue 1 right now :)

TheThirdComing has received 2 thanks from: Sonne2, Yokosuka
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:
I have two important questions for you:
Do you know where I can find some sailors?
Would you like to try a game of Lucky Hit?

How the hell did that get in there? This should be for serious questions.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of ASK ME ANYTHING.

I understand the meaning perfectly. But that could have been a--

No you don't.

Kenny has received a thanks from: south carmain
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Set12 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
YS: I plan on making plans.

I don't know why but it made me laugh.

They should add some of those Q&As to the kickstarter or a summary as an update. It was solid.
Set12
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Kentalis » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: $5M on Kickstarter.
$2M or $3M on Paypal.
$2M or $3M by Sony/Other recourses.

The $10M plan.

I would predict the price of the game to be around 35m, on the lower-average side. I would like to see at least a budget of 60m (Average of today's games, and lower-end for an open world game), but I doubt Sony will get that invested unless 3 sells really well and they pony up that much for ongoing games.
Kentalis
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Mortal Online

Postby elmatto » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Scrounder wrote: How on earth are we going to get to 10 million? I really hope it's possible.

I dunno if this will help ease your mind a bit. It's not necessarily SUPER accurate since things can change at any moment. But it's something.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

Also.
This made me laugh.

Yu are my hero!
Shenmue is credited with introducing the QTE. Given the significant advances in gaming systems and technology over the last decade, are you confident that you can show the gaming world something we have not seen before?

YS: Thank you very much.

Th-thanks Mr. Suzuki.

elmatto has received a thanks from: Sonne2
elmatto

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:07 pm

I think it's possible to make an open world game with 10 million plus a bit extra on top. Didn't the Witcher 3 only take 35 million to make. And look at the scale of that game.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:08 pm

mue 26 wrote: I think it's possible to make an open world game with 10 million plus a bit extra on top. Didn't the Witcher 3 only take 35 million to make. And look at the scale of that game.

I think it was less than that but you have to take in to consideration that salaries in Poland are much lower than Japan in that case so the budget wouldn't really be comparable.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

It only cost $15 million the rest was advertising. As south carmain though there is a big difference between a living wage in Poland and Tokyo.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:20 pm

TheThirdComing wrote:
Himuro wrote: Im so proud that Dojo and I curated so many quality questions and we got most of them answered.

Thank you and to everyone & this thread for making Reddit comprehensible. It was a genuinely fascinating read.

I still don't see why Paypal is under consideration, I was expecting it upon signing up to KickStarter for this.

As neat was it is to hear of past ideas returning in Shenmue 3, some I am not so keen on. Forklift driving/racing was fun but I consider that a feature of Shenmue 1, I wan't a new mini-game/job feature which isn't identical to the previou games. Reading that got me all excited though, going to return to more Shenmue 1 right now :)

Yu overrates the importance of forklifts I think. It was more a symbol than something else.

But I really hope that Yu will keep a space of freedom, fans can have good ideas but they should not interfere that much in the development. I read anything and everything about and that scares me a little.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Yeah yu allowing fans to get closely involved is a big mistake. Most shenmue fans I wonder how they manage to function during their daily lives.

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:42 pm

haha

It's kind of true though...lord knows I barely make it through each day...
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:47 pm

south carmain wrote: Yeah yu allowing fans to get closely involved is a big mistake. Most shenmue fans I wonder how they manage to function during their daily lives.

Yeah, this.

People who created or are not fans but respect the source material are much preferred over megafans who are just gonna suggest the craziest of shit.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Drakul » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:27 am

First of all thanks for asking those questions and gathering all the answers together!

I liked a lot of his answers but I must admit I'm a bit baffled by the 10M goal. If he needs 10M form Kickstarter to realzie his vision then why on Earth wasn't the goal closer to 4M and the stretch goals to 10M explaining that this was the amount needed to realize it.
The first 48-72h after the E3 announcement was the most important time and if everyone had seen 10M they may have considered donating more, or people on the fence may have given in. At this point I think A LOT of people just think 2M was the goal and it was met and the stretch goals were vague and they're not going to check that kickstarter page back so it's a missed opportunity.
Hopefully before the kickstarter ends they will update their page and goals and everything so that people checkin in realizes they need to donate more.

Also kid of expected but it's scary that Shenmue III will not conclude the saga because this is already a tall order but doing it one or two more times is even less probable. Right there a lot of fans frothing at the mouth for a new shenmue after 14 years and Shenmue III is almost a white whale so a lot of people are donating but if it's succesful and they start again in say 2-3 years will people have that big itch to scratch?
I fear another Xenogears....
Drakul

Postby fumega » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:06 pm

south carmain wrote: Yeah yu allowing fans to get closely involved is a big mistake. Most shenmue fans I wonder how they manage to function during their daily lives.

If fans are really closely involved, that's an HUGE mistake that can easily ruin a game, TV show or whatever.

There are examples of Anime and Manga shows that were ruined because of fan intervention.

Yu should accept one or two good ideas (in HIS opinion), and that's it.
fumega

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Out of curiosity, is there anyone on here that welcomes the idea of heavy fan input into this game? So far the consensus on here seems almost unanimous that it's a bad idea, and Yu should do whatever he wants to. I too agree with this stance, especially since even voting on characters (!) seems like it's going to happen. It's pretty funny that the largest Shenmue fan site is so against the idea of fan participation. But of course it makes complete sense, since we all know part of what makes Shenmue so great is that it was the work of a uncompromising auteur.

And when the time does come, should we abstain from voting and ignore the polls completely, or would that just ensure we end up with a co-op Shenmue 3 with a band-aid less Ryo?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III