Troy Baker as Ryo?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Troy Baker as Ryo?

Postby KleWdSide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't want that no-talent Corey Marshall reprising his role...
KleWdSide
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Troy Baker as Ryo?

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Hell no lol let's face it, hiring Troy as Ryo would cost more than the budget of the game! XD
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby jay_mack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Corey Marshall was the best voice in Shenmue. Maybe that's not saying much, but I kind of enjoyed his style.

When I think of Troy Baker I think of Joel from the Last of Us. I know he can have a higher range, but I picture Joel's voice, and that just does not fit with Ryo.
jay_mack
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby KleWdSide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:47 pm

jay_mack wrote: Corey Marshall was the best voice in Shenmue. Maybe that's not saying much, but I kind of enjoyed his style.

When I think of Troy Baker I think of Joel from the Last of Us. I know he can have a higher range, but I picture Joel's voice, and that just does not fit with Ryo.

He'll probably have it sound similar to the "inFAMOUS" character.
KleWdSide

Postby jay_mack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm

KleWdSide wrote: He'll probably have it sound similar to the "inFAMOUS" character.

Just looked that up. I could live with that, yeah.

But it's probably not going to happen.
jay_mack

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm

I want Michael Cera as Ryo! \:D/
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Corey Marshell or Japanese voice actors.. He is Ryo Hazuki!

Snoopbob2006 has received a thanks from: Aimless Gamer
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KleWdSide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Snoopbob2006 wrote: Corey Marshell or Jap dubs.. He is Ryo Hazuki!

That's what people said for David Hayter. But I'm sure Kiefer Sutherland will do just as well if not better.
KleWdSide

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:57 pm

KleWdSide wrote:

That's what people said for David Hayter. But I'm sure Kiefer Sutherland will do just as well if not better.

That Troy guy is pretty well known in the gaming world now I doubt the Budget Shenmue III will have could come close to getting that guy. Personally I would love Corey to get the roll. I would be happy with it just being in Japanese if it saved alot of money that could be used for other important features.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:01 pm

jay_mack wrote: Corey Marshall was the best voice in Shenmue. Maybe that's not saying much, but I kind of enjoyed his style.

He seems a great guy who's genuinely passionate about Shenmue, but Corey Marshall was definitely not the best voice in the original game. Lan Di and Iwao Hazuki were both a lot better. In fact, they're probably the only voice actors from Shenmue I who I would describe as "good", with the possible exception of Chai.

It almost certainly won't matter to me, because I'll definitely be playing Shenmue III in Japanese if given the choice, but I would like to see Corey reprieve his role. He's clearly very popular in the Shenmue community and I think most people who play the game dubbed would want that.
Pogogacy

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:02 pm

KleWdSide wrote:

Seems petty but I'm very put off MGS5 since David Hayter was replaced.

I'm very hopeful Shenmue 3 will have as many original voice actors as possible. I've listened to Corey Marshall's work outside of Shenmue and think he acts very well.

It's been documented how slap-dash the process was in the first two games. With better direction, Corey could do a great job for Shenmue 3.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Sonne2
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Snoopbob2006 wrote:
KleWdSide wrote:

That Troy guy is pretty well known in the gaming world now I doubt the Budget Shenmue III will have could come close to getting that guy. Personally I would love Corey to get the roll. I would be happy with it just being in Japanese if it saved alot of money that could be used for other important features.

Yup, European Dreamcast version of S2 was just fine.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jay_mack » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Pogogacy wrote:It almost certainly won't matter to me, because I'll definitely be playing Shenmue III in Japanese if given the choice, but I would like to see Corey reprieve his role. He's clearly very popular in the Shenmue community and I think most people who play the game dubbed would want that.

What's funny to me is, I would have played Shenmue 1 in japanese, but now that they're in China, it makes less sense to me. They should all be speaking in Chinese! So now I plan on listening in english. I know that they're DEFINITELY not speaking english, but for whatever reason there's just less of a mental block there. Does that make any sense at all?

Like I can pretend that they're speaking chinese, I'm just hearing it in english.

Woof, forget it.
jay_mack

Postby BayStone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:16 pm

Yeah, Marshall or maybe, ermm, I don't know, some person other than Baker or North.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby KiBa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:26 pm

VA direction and recording and implementation has improved immensely in the last 15 years. The original English VAs are excellent. Corey Marshall and Lisle Wilkerson definitely should come back to the series, among many others.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Shenmue III