Troy Baker as Ryo?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Troy Baker as Ryo?

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Why would anyone want Troy Baker, he's the voice of every other game out there. Frankly I'm always annoyed when I realize he's in a game because he's so instantly recognizable.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:44 pm

jay_mack wrote:When I think of Troy Baker I think of Joel from the Last of Us. I know he can have a higher range, but I picture Joel's voice, and that just does not fit with Ryo.

Isn't Troy Baker playing Nathan Drake's older brother? Because of his voice they chose him to play the older character despite being younger than North.

Crimson Ryan wrote:It's been documented how slap-dash the process was in the first two games. With better direction, Corey could do a great job for Shenmue 3.

Making people read some lines out of context, like what happened then, doesn't usually give good results. Good direction could help a lot as well as some detailed planning ahead. So I also think that Cory could do well. And having Sony involved could be very beneficial. They have great studios and lots of experience with sound. So I'm sure that they could help a lot and maybe provide some form of quality control.

Doom_Infinite wrote:Why would anyone want Troy Baker, he's the voice of every other game out there. Frankly I'm always annoyed when I realize he's in a game because he's so instantly recognizable.

I always found North a bit better because of that. There have been several games where I never even thought that it was him. He seems more versatile in general.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 pm

jay_mack wrote:
Pogogacy wrote:It almost certainly won't matter to me, because I'll definitely be playing Shenmue III in Japanese if given the choice, but I would like to see Corey reprieve his role. He's clearly very popular in the Shenmue community and I think most people who play the game dubbed would want that.

What's funny to me is, I would have played Shenmue 1 in japanese, but now that they're in China, it makes less sense to me. They should all be speaking in Chinese! So now I plan on listening in english. I know that they're DEFINITELY not speaking english, but for whatever reason there's just less of a mental block there. Does that make any sense at all?

Like I can pretend that they're speaking chinese, I'm just hearing it in english.

Woof, forget it.

:rotflmao:

Well, whatever you like best. That's what the choice is there for - if they include the choice, that is.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Xieldos » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:50 pm

I would prefer to see Corey remain as Ryo to be honest. Although I wouldn't mind if the quality of the NPC's vastly improves. Some of the NPC's voices from Shenmue II in particular were fantastic for all the wrong reasons.
Xieldos
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Xieldos
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 pm

I totally agree that Corey, and as much of the OG cast come back if possible. These guys have also contributed to the community and the campaign over the years too. But don't you think Corey would be in a bit of a difficult conundrum over how to do the voice? Undoubtedly he's improved as an actor since those days, and the conditions of the recordings will probably be better too. So what does he do, deliberately give us the monotone, flat Ryo we all know and love, or does he put his heart and soul into it, and give us a real performance?
Last edited by mue 26 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:57 pm

I would rather he try and Keep Ryo the way we know him but maybe that's just me.
Doom_Infinite

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 pm

KleWdSide wrote: I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't want that no-talent Corey Marshall reprising his role...

Said no one ever.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Corey did well enough to make Sega put out US Shenmue on the Japanese market.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KleWdSide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:02 pm

You guys only want Corey Marshall for nostalgic reasons, not because of his obviously great talent.
KleWdSide

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 pm

jay_mack wrote: What's funny to me is, I would have played Shenmue 1 in japanese, but now that they're in China, it makes less sense to me. They should all be speaking in Chinese! So now I plan on listening in english. I know that they're DEFINITELY not speaking english, but for whatever reason there's just less of a mental block there. Does that make any sense at all?

Like I can pretend that they're speaking chinese, I'm just hearing it in english.

Woof, forget it.

I do know what you mean. I played Shenmue II on the Dreamcast first. To me, it made a lot more sense because Ryo is setting foot on foreign land for the first time, so it seemed right that this was also the first time that the player heard the game in a foreign language.

That said, my preference would have been (and still is) to play both games in Japanese, just because I tend to prefer experiencing games/films/anime/whatever in their original language.

KiBa wrote: VA direction and recording and implementation has improved immensely in the last 15 years. The original English VAs are excellent. Corey Marshall and Lisle Wilkerson definitely should come back to the series, among many others.

Lisle Wilkerson voiced Joy and Xiuying? I actually thought they were some of the poorest voices in Shenmue IIx although, to be fair, this may have been due to bad direction rather than any fault of hers.

mue 26 wrote: I totally agree that Corey, and as much of the OG cast come back if possible. These guys have also contributed to the community and the campaign over the years too. But don't you think Corey would be in a bit of a difficult situation over how to do the voice? Undoubtedly he's improved as an actor since those days, and the conditions of the recordings will probably be better too. So what does he do, deliberately give us the monotone, flat Ryo we all know and love, or does he put his heart and soul into it, and give us real performance?

Definitely the latter.

It's becoming unlikely we're going to get an AAA budget, but I still want the game to have the best production values it possibly can. Joke voice acting is simply no longer good enough, this isn't 1999 anymore. I've seen lots of people say that this gave the original Shenmue its charm. I respectfully disagree, and I'm speaking as someone who played the original when it first came out so my view should be more clouded by nostalgia if anything. Shenmue was special despite its butchered localisation, not because of it.
Pogogacy

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 pm

KleWdSide wrote: You guys only want Corey Marshall for nostalgic reasons, not because of his obviously great talent.

I want him for both nostalgia and his great talent you're right.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby KleWdSide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
KleWdSide wrote: You guys only want Corey Marshall for nostalgic reasons, not because of his obviously great talent.

If he's a great talent, then what would that make Billy West?
KleWdSide

Postby elmatto » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Corey and the Japanese actor of course. But if I had to pick anyone else it'd probably be mark hildreth. Always enjoyed him in my animes. Not a lot of people remember him because he was more 90s anime. But he voiced terry Bogard in fatal fury.
elmatto

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Ideally we'll get dual audio. Since it's done by KS if the fans request it I'm sure Suzuki san and the staff will make sure to secure rights for international use.
Doom_Infinite

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 am

KleWdSide wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote:

If he's a great talent, then what would that make Billy West?

I don't know who that is.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III