TGS 2015 - Too Early?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

TGS 2015 - Too Early?

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:48 pm

It will be taking place around two months after the KS finishes. Would this be too early to expect any kind of initial concept art etc? I'm at least hopeful of a fresh Yu interview around that time or at the floor itself regarding what sort of budget he'll be working with.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: TGS 2015 - Too Early?

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Maaaaaaaaybe a concept art or interview, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything until February next year at the MAGIC event. It seems too early to show anything substantial. I hope we get to see how they're development is going like the documentary from double fine but I'm aware they are working with limited resources and that it may not be in their best interest...

Still though, they better keep us up to date at least once a month! :-p

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:21 pm

From the KS, they do say they'll be sharing every step with the fans. But this might not eventually happen, they'll want to keep some things under wraps for instants. I just think they want constant feedback during development on ideas etc. Game shows are a great way to get that exposure, even if Yu or a member of YSNet show up to talk or even show one or two things then at least it's something.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Do they really share that much with fans? From my experience with Japanese developers (except with Mighty n9) they don't, and it's alright, it's a cultural difference. I'm half Japanese and I actually expect it this way. For instance the Nightcry kickstarter has only sent me a couple of emails all these months with update on what they're doing. I'm guessing from western developers they do like Might n9 with a couple a week.

In a way I actually prefer things this way. It's best to see things when they're advanced enough that it looks great.
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:28 pm

And when Shenmue 3 doesn't get announced at this TGS, then people will naively hope again (like every year) for the next GDC, E3,... oh wait, that was last year's speech. Scrap that.

Seeing some progress would be nice. They should be able to show something after a couple of months I guess? Maybe a new or redone small scene like the current trailer?

Doom_Infinite wrote:In a way I actually prefer things this way. It's best to see things when they're advanced enough that it looks great.

Me too. I don't really care to see too much of the daily work since it spoils the end result a bit. Afterwards I might have a look.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:15 pm

As excited as I am I really don't want to know all the details along the way. Just updated in his the game is progressing. I don't even want all the input they want from us. I don't want yu to give us what we want. I want his vision to be made real. He gave us two awesome games and I trust him to do the same again. So maybe just a short trailer here and there and that will be fine enough with me.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:21 pm

I'd be happy getting information at the game shows or via email straight from the developers every few months. I don't need daily updates lol :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 am

Could there be a big reveal (Shenmue HD) or just follow up-info on Shenmue 3?
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby fittersau » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:19 am

Given that E3 is primarily a western event, I am happy for a Japanese reconfirmation or follow up to occur for Shenmue 3 at TGS 2015.

To be honest, I'd rather not know story related content such as, the return of Ren in Shenmue 3. For me that was a spoiler I could live without and wait to be surprised when he finally turned up in amazing fashion when Ryo needs help the most. (You know that's how it's going to be).

I'd like to know rough ideas from a project manager's perspective which glosses over details but advises progress has been made. For example:
    200 story boards have been created which account for 60% of the story or
    Modelling of the Chobu area is at 75%

These demonstrate game progress without giving away anything about the game itself. As an "investor/kickstarter funder" that's the sort of information I'd like to know about while being a fan.

I'd almost hate to work on the game and know exactly what will happen and how it is being achieved. It would suck the fun of experiencing out of it. Of course, you'd derive different pleasure as a creator seeing your work appreciated (or hated) by fans.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:22 am

Shibiryo wrote: Could there be a big reveal (Shenmue HD) or just follow up-info on Shenmue 3?

I think this would be the biggest bombshell they could drop. Satomi-kun of SEGA decides to declare Shenmue 1 & 2 HD will also be coming to PS4 / PC in 2016. That would knock the socks off Makuhari Messe. :rotflmao:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 am

I think it's too early and not really necessary. Shenmue has never been that big in Japan and I'd rather have Yu and his team working on the game than worrying about and planning game show appearances, preparing teasers and stuff like that. Save it for next year I say.

During one of the Q&As during the kickstarter (I think) Yu said they hadn't decided yet whether or not they'll be at TGS, so the actual chances for that might be 50/50..?

Anyway, I'm much more curious about what SEGA will have to show and announce. With their recent promise to stop being awful, today's announcement of Phantasy Star Online 2 for PS4 (japan-only for now) and the leaked Crazy Taxi 4 concept art I'm getting the feeling that they might actually have some things up their sleeve already. I'm hoping for announcements of Shenmue I&II HD and other remasters, like Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio Future. Of course I'm fully aware of the fact that another more or less huge letdown sadly will be the most likely scenario for this.

Edit: On an unrelated note: I saw you tweeting at American McGee, Sonoshee. Another Alice game would be great!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: As excited as I am I really don't want to know all the details along the way. Just updated in his the game is progressing. I don't even want all the input they want from us. I don't want yu to give us what we want. I want his vision to be made real. He gave us two awesome games and I trust him to do the same again. So maybe just a short trailer here and there and that will be fine enough with me.

Rather than inform us, the most important is to keep the hype at a fair level without spending much money. TGS is an opportunity to take although I don't see how they can. A trailer in the vein of Kickstarter would not be a good idea.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:26 pm

I will be attending TGS on September 17th and 18th, if I can grab more infos, I will. ;-)

But we will probably have something new during MAGS in February.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby zema » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:29 am

DEVILLE_David wrote: I will be attending TGS on September 17th and 18th, if I can grab more infos, I will. ;-)

But we will probably have something new during MAGS in February.

A big thank you for your efforts David. Hope you enjoy TGS. I don't really expect Yu san will be there though.

In my opinion even the Monaco event is too soon to show anything substancial.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Dragon St. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Too early for any follow up info on Shenmue 3 I think. However, if Sega has come to their senses they will announce Shenmue HD. It's an easy way to cash in on the hype and to regain trust with their former fans.
Dragon St.

Next

Return to Shenmue III