10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: 10000 dinner reward back up for grabs!

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:52 pm

Cheeky
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:54 pm

I'd pay 10 grand for a dinner with Gboy. But if Shenmue 3 didn't lure him back, I'm thinking nothing will :(
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Aaahhh. The Panda Rapist
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Peter, I guarantee that they will not hesitata to take your 10,000 haha. They'll make a special tier just for you
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby robatfreedom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 am

wdrpgwd wrote: This is also an investment.

My brother and I are 2nd in command at this school and we are getting larger every year. The owner is getting older and we plan to take over the school full time. We would love to design it around Shenmue and have members of the Dojo come teach English and live our their dreams of living in Guilin.

We have many connections here and a degree is not required for our school. Some basic Chinese is required though. You don't need a teaching Visa either. A basic passport is all you need but you have to leave within 90 days.

We are still in the planning stage for how we are going to do this.

hey man - just want to say this is absolutely amazing.
I was in Yangshou last year - If I had known I defo would have popped by!
My wife is a languages teacher who is learning mandarin (Ihowever have been studying japanese!).

Guilin, and the whole area around the Li river, was a beutiful place and would love to go back for more reasons than just Shenmue.

I am really happy that you got the opportunity to meet Suzuki-san and the others - plus that you were able to contribute to the campaign! Well done!

robatfreedom has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
robatfreedom
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:25 am

wdrpgwd wrote: I feel guilty now, Peter...

I feel like I need to explain who I am now.. I'm not a casual Shenmue fan. My brother and I are 35. We are identical twins and we help lead a school just outside Guilin in Yangshou where we teach poor kids English in helping them get scholarships to achieve better education.

This was inspired by Shenmue. My Avatar is of me laying on a raft on the Lijiang river just outside Guilin.

I've been there from the beginning like most of you. This will be a great experience in my life that I will treasure until I die.

EDIT:

You can find us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/VolunteerEnglishTeacher?fref=ts

A lot of the pictures are of my brother and I.

Here is me with the kids.

Just wanted to say, this is amazing, and good for you for the great work that you do :) Quite jealous, I would love to visit Guilin one day...
Last edited by Miles Prower on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: wdrpgwd
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby wdrpgwd » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:26 pm

robatfreedom wrote:
wdrpgwd wrote: This is also an investment.

My brother and I are 2nd in command at this school and we are getting larger every year. The owner is getting older and we plan to take over the school full time. We would love to design it around Shenmue and have members of the Dojo come teach English and live our their dreams of living in Guilin.

We have many connections here and a degree is not required for our school. Some basic Chinese is required though. You don't need a teaching Visa either. A basic passport is all you need but you have to leave within 90 days.

We are still in the planning stage for how we are going to do this.

hey man - just want to say this is absolutely amazing.
I was in Yangshou last year - If I had known I defo would have popped by!
My wife is a languages teacher who is learning mandarin (Ihowever have been studying japanese!).

Guilin, and the whole area around the Li river, was a beutiful place and would love to go back for more reasons than just Shenmue.

I am really happy that you got the opportunity to meet Suzuki-san and the others - plus that you were able to contribute to the campaign! Well done!

Thank you RF! We are currently back in DC. The summer programs are about to end. Fall programs are coming up and my brother will be out there in August to work on scheduling and curriculum. You are more than welcome to come out or you can wait until next May when I will be back.

If you want to teach you can stay as long as you want but most stay for about 45 days. We can arrange it to where you don't have to pay for lodging. Bobby is our on site manager and he reserves his guest room for special guests.

I hope to be in Yangshuo full time, eventually. It's so beautiful and the people treat you so well. (I'm know you are aware of this). You should come back!

Moments like this are life's purpose.

wdrpgwd has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:04 am

So how much money do you think would be necessary to do such a thing?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Erevador » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:46 am

This thread was just retweeted by Yu Suzuki!
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby code l name » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:58 am

Erevador wrote: This thread was just retweeted by Yu Suzuki!

That's kind of crazy :D
code l name
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:53 pm

LanDC wrote:
sand4fish wrote: I can't believe all 3 of the people who bought dinner with Yu Suzuki belong to this place. This forum is definitely the best Shenmue Forum out there!

Ken Sugimori isn't here, as far as I know. He's the artist for Pokemon. He posted on his Twitter that he got it.

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X/status/610645120526848000

Ken Sugimori tweeted that he didn't pledge 10,000, but 500 only.

Kiyuu has received a thanks from: Supa
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby wdrpgwd » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:53 pm

We have been getting some backlash in China. Somebody here has published my post and it got sent to China and in the translation it was written that we were implying that local kids in Yangshuo are poor. We teach children from all over China and not all of them are impoverished. Yangshuo is not a poor city and the kids in the picture are part of a summer program from bigger cities.

We are in the middle of damage control now. Many of the locals are happy about the exposure. The school has received tremendous attention and we hope it will mean growth for everyone. I'm hoping this gets corrected soon. We are doing a couple interviews with news outlets in the coming days.

Who new one response on a message board could turn into this.

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So how much money do you think would be necessary to do such a thing?

It's not expensive. Your biggest cost will be getting here.

Here is the cost comparison for Chicago vs. Guangzhou

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=China&city1=Chicago%2C+IL&city2=Guangzhou

Guangzhou is more expensive than Guilin but you can see how far your money goes there. It's very affordable.
wdrpgwd
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elmatto » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Why are they lurking a shenmue forum lol
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Locke_cole » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:59 pm

wdrpgwd wrote: We have been getting some backlash in China. Somebody here has published my post and it got sent to China and in the translation it was written that we were implying that local kids in Yangshuo are poor. We teach children from all over China and not all of them are impoverished. Yangshuo is not a poor city and the kids in the picture are part of a summer program from bigger cities.

We are in the middle of damage control now. Many of the locals are happy about the exposure. The school has received tremendous attention and we hope it will mean growth for everyone. I'm hoping this gets corrected soon. We are doing a couple interviews with news outlets in the coming days.

Who new one response on a message board could turn into this.

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So how much money do you think would be necessary to do such a thing?

It's not expensive. Your biggest cost will be getting here.

Here is the cost comparison for Chicago vs. Guangzhou

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=China&city1=Chicago%2C+IL&city2=Guangzhou

Guangzhou is more expensive than Guilin but you can see how far your money goes there. It's very affordable.

Media man....just make sure you cover your ass bro, don't get in trouble on account of something good.
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Cedric Biscay replied to me on Twitter and is going to check if an extra space can be made for me! He also retweeted the message! Fingers crossed, the dream still has hope!

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, joka, Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III