How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anyway?

(Chapters 3-6)

How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anyway?

Postby TheThirdComing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:37 am

It's a very rare event for the European market to get a release that the US doesn't get - I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it certainly is rare. So I am curious to how come we got such a privilege? I mean you could even argue that the release wasn't even complete without the inclusion of English dubbed voice acting. I just find it weird that it was never distributed in the US until of course the Xbox re-release.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: How was Shenmue II released on Dreamcast in Europe Anywa

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:45 am

Microsoft and Sega signed deals to have it exclusively on the Xbox in NA. And here in Europe the publishers haven't given up just yet. I applaud them for that.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Axm
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby joka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 am

BlueMue wrote: Microsoft and Sega signed deals to have it exclusively on the Xbox in NA. And here in Europe the publishers haven't given up just yet. I applaud them for that.

Was it definitely due to the Microsoft deal? I thought that all came way after....

I thought it was more about Europe just being a stronger market for Sega at the time.

Does seem weird though looking back... I still remember going to buy Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast :D
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby munchmunch » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 am

Because we're cool

munchmunch has received 3 thanks from: Esppiral, MiTT3NZ, Vito
munchmunch

Postby Nahovil » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:19 am

England belongs to Europe?

Nahovil has received a thanks from: iyapol
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:35 am

joka wrote:Was it definitely due to the Microsoft deal? I thought that all came way after....

The exclusivity deal with MS was probably signed long before the DC version of the game even hit Europe. It was re-textured in places, the frame rate was enhanced and it included a full English dub. That all takes time.

MS didn't sign the rights for the game in Europe, only NA, so it was still released there without any issues on the DC.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vito » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:26 am

Nahovil wrote: England belongs to Europe?

Vito has received a thanks from: OL
Vito
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Mafia

Postby joka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am

Sonoshee wrote:
joka wrote:Was it definitely due to the Microsoft deal? I thought that all came way after....

The exclusivity deal with MS was probably signed long before the DC version of the game even hit Europe. It was re-textured in places, the frame rate was enhanced and it included a full English dub. That all takes time.

MS didn't sign the rights for the game in Europe, only NA, so it was still released there without any issues on the DC.

Oh ok. We were lucky enough to get the Xbox version too so didn't really pay attention to the reasons back then lol
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Privilege of release, privilege of original dub and privilege of the better box. :-o

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:04 pm

joka wrote:
BlueMue wrote: Microsoft and Sega signed deals to have it exclusively on the Xbox in NA. And here in Europe the publishers haven't given up just yet. I applaud them for that.

Was it definitely due to the Microsoft deal? I thought that all came way after....

I thought it was more about Europe just being a stronger market for Sega at the time.

Does seem weird though looking back... I still remember going to buy Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast :D

not at all true
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby joka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
joka wrote:

not at all true

I didn't say it was to be fair just what I thought but care to elaborate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShinChuck » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:57 pm

joka wrote:

They were to the point of even advertising Shenmue II's NA Dreamcast release, and then, relatively shortly before it happened, the rug was pulled out from under NA fans.

http://spong.com/article/2358/Shenmue-2-and-Phantasy-Star-Announced-for-Xbox-as-US-Dreamcast-Shenmue-2-is-Cancelled

http://archive.thegia.com/dc/shmu2/shmu2.html

A friend of mine and I were discussing this several months ago. I remember being heartbroken, having just seen banners on GameFAQs advertising it, and when he heard the news, he stomped over to his wall and tore down an advertisement he had hung that was marketing the US release for DC.

It was a rough time for SEGA fans. Dreamcast was on its way out, SEGA was going third party, and barely more than a month before release, it was announced we weren't getting Shenmue II for another year at least, and on a different system entirely. It was an all-time low for Dreamcast fans. Fun times, fun times!

ShinChuck has received a thanks from: Axm
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 am

Wait America didn't get Shenmue II on the Dreamcast? Eh!?

That does seem strange. What's worse is the Dreamcast was a dying console and while the original Xbox was a success it didn't sell nearly enough as the Playstation 2. If only SEGA released it on the Playstation 2, imagine that, it would have sold a lot more and generally the Playstation crowd are usually more receptive of these types of titles.

SEGA really messed up the chances this franchise had.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:19 am

joka wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
joka wrote:

not at all true

I didn't say it was to be fair just what I thought but care to elaborate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I never even heard of your point. this was all over the media back then that microsoft had bought shenmue 2 for north america
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:20 am

ConanTheKing wrote: Wait America didn't get Shenmue II on the Dreamcast? Eh!?

That does seem strange. What's worse is the Dreamcast was a dying console and while the original Xbox was a success it didn't sell nearly enough as the Playstation 2. If only SEGA released it on the Playstation 2, imagine that, it would have sold a lot more and generally the Playstation crowd are usually more receptive of these types of titles.

SEGA really messed up the chances this franchise had.

the original xbox was not a success at all
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue II