"classic" old school mode?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

"classic" old school mode?

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 am

Just saw the other thread about the loading screens and had got me thinking. if the game is developed with a new design to accommodate the ps4s features, I think there should be a selectable old school mode that gives us the option for loading screens, the old 'tank' controls and gameplay style etc
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: "classic" old school mode?

Postby Doom_Infinite » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:19 pm

I completely agree. IMO that would be awesome. Classic vs original modes or something. :)
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades

Postby alexh86 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38 pm

I can understand nostalgia for the old controls but why would anyone want loading screens?
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yama » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Loading screens out of nostalgia? That's a stretch. Let's worry about the game, forget the gimmicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm

The black loading screen with white text has too come back. I wouldn't mind if it didn't take as long as in the first two games to load but the loading screen is one of the things I associate with the series.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re:

Postby OL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Yama wrote: Loading screens out of nostalgia? That's a stretch. Let's worry about the game, forget the gimmicks.

Honestly, it wouldn't be all that different from the way, for example, Resident Evil on the DS still has the door-opening screens and all that. Running on the DS, there's probably no need for that loading screen to appear anymore, but it was always a good part of the atmosphere, so it stays put.
The Shenmue ones are a little more debatable, granted, but I'd argue that the displaying of the area, time, and date every time you enter a new area is an important part of making a proper "Shenmue" experience what it is. In the same way that the door screens in RE keep the tension up, the black screens in Shenmue are an ever-present reminder that you're working around a clock, a calendar, and a realistically-detailed map.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:21 pm

I agree with OL. You need to be reminded you are working around the clock, but maybe doing it in a more real way would be nice as opposed to a loading screen. While Shenmue was and still is revolutionary there are some modern gaming conveniences that need to be taken into consideration.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Being reminded of time does really look like an essential part of the game. But looking at Yu Suzuki's track record, he was always a front runner at game design and I would like to think he would implement something more elegant than loading screens in 2015 (or 2017).

sand4fish has received a thanks from: myshtuff
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Centrale » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:36 pm

I can't imagine loading screens would be well-received by people who are new to the series. They would get savaged in reviews. I've been into Shenmue since it first came out and personally I like the fact that it's much more possible to stream world data than to have to look at loading screens nowadays.

I'm sure modders will be able to create loading screens for those who want them, on the PC version. I wouldn't really want the core development team to divert any resources away from any other aspect of the game to make artificial loading screens.

If it's a matter of emphasizing the passing of time... the watch was visible in the corner of the screen throughout the first game at least (can't remember off-hand about the second one). If anything I think it would help with immersion to be able to go into the "look"/first person view, and have Ryo raise his wrist to look at the watch.

Centrale has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:47 pm

Personally, I think they can do away with it after the game initially loads. However I do think that when you go from one area to the next it should pop up with the loading screen text in the corner plus the appropriate music transition if necessary.

Would be awesome if they add classic tank controls, personally I can't imagine the game without them. Although L.A. Noire was similar and did it well (in addition to keeping things modern) imo...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 pm

Centrale wrote:I wouldn't really want the core development team to divert any resources away from any other aspect of the game to make artificial loading screens.

It's a black screen with a location, date and time on it. I can't imagine it would require that many resources ;-)

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: OL
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby benayun88 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 pm

anyone know if the twitch stream is happening tonight for shenmuedojo?
benayun88
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: shenmue1

Postby mindcrime » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:48 pm

To me those classic loading screens are part of the Shenmue experience and I certainly wouldn't mind having them in S3. I do, however, have to keep in mind that I'm an old fart, and it's hard to imagine people today being even remotely ok with archaic loading screens.

Don't know how many new fans S3 will attract but I think it's safe to assume that none of them would like seeing loading sceens in this day and age. And they would most likely be pretty vocal about it.

But if it's done through the magic of modding... Oh yeah! Same goes for the old tank controls.
mindcrime
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to Shenmue III