New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: New Shenmue III Stretch Goals Announced - $11 Million+

Postby ÐÃ ß×® » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:28 am

Going by the pace the funding is going, we won't even make it to 5 let alone 11+ millions.

My guess is that money is already secured by other means.

We'll never see that type of money through kickstarter I'm afraid.

ÐÃ ß×® has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
ÐÃ ß×®
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:10 am

Wow, now he's really pushing it! I doubt we will make it this far, wich makes me rather sad now. All the possibilities the game could have with a proper budget.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BruceWayne911 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:18 am

I hope Suzuki allows us to donate after the kickstarter is up. Its been 14 years we cant waste this opportunity, its all on us.
BruceWayne911
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:29 am

There is no way we can reach a stretch goal of 11m+ with less than 50k backers just like I stated in a facebook comment we will need 100k+ backers to do it and someone else said we will actually need 200k+ backers to pull it of.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby go-ren » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:26 am

For the love of God lets at least get to 7.5!!! I don't know what that is but it sounds sooo bad ass!
go-ren
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:56 am

its insane really if you look at it, never in the history of kickstarter has a game made more than 5.5million on a kickstarter, the history of it! and he thinks its possible to hit 10 million on a 14 year old sequel where a huge majority of the gaming populace won't have played the first 2?

I've pledge high and I shed tears at the Shenmue 3 announcement, but I think he may have been smoking some iffy drugs when he came up with these stretch goals... :(

considering the size of the Shenmue fan base and how previous kick starters have gone for video games we should be ecstatic with anything around the 5 million mark, but we aren't because he's gating features behind unreachable stretch goals... 100% unreachable goals.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 am

You can't really blame him though, he has to at least try. Don't practically all kickstarters have stretchgoals that keep on going?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:07 am

I want the magic maze more than ragdoll reaction! And pretty much everything else. I want the magic maze more than Shenmue 3!
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 am

What is having a magic maze in Bailu Village means? It sounds interesting.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby James Brown » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 am

Yeah, Magic Maze sounds very interesting. Surely this should be one of the questions we ask tonight on Twitch, we need to say that if the game will not be released for 2 and a half years, there's a good 2 year period there where we can still fully support the game and reach those demanding stretch goals gradually. I say 2 years, since by that point they probably would be finalising everything and planning the release, getting the thing to market and shelves etc. But there surely has to be a good 2 year period there where we can use something like a paypal donations page when the kickstarter has ended, or like someone previously mentioned using a website called Patreon, I would gladly support this. Maybe we could follow in the $30 on the 3rd trend, and each pledge $30 a month to Patreon, some people would pledge higher ofc, but say the kickstarter ends at 6 mil, not quite sure what is futher planned after 11 mil, but say over 2 years we need 5 more mil, If 7000 of us did just the $30 a month on paetron, we would get that extra 5 mil :)...considering come the end of the kickstarter there could be around 70k backers, only 10% of us would need to continue to support it and we'd get the absolute complete Shenmue 3 experience.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Switch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:58 am

The_Intruder wrote:What is having a magic maze in Bailu Village means? It sounds interesting.

According to this Digital Spy article of highlights from Yu's Shenmue postmortem at the Game Developers Conference 2014, it's a landscape generation technique.

A technique called Magic Maze would create trees, rocks, characters and even the doors and windows seen in Shenmue 2's Kowloon area.

Another technique, Magic Room, "simulated thought process of an interior designer", where an AI constructed and fleshed out a room, and ensured it would be traversable by the player.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Supa
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby spinksy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:00 am

I hate negativity towards this whole thing as I have said many times and I'm really really happy we're getting Shenmue 3...

but...$11 million is a little ridiculous. don't get me wrong it would be amazing to hit this but it's just NOT going to happen at the current rate. There aren't enough rewards sorted out for this and it kind of feels like this update has come to late.

these stretch goals should have been sorted LONG ago - before he even publicly announced this, not after more than a week of kickstarter.

I'm hoping for the best and I'm very thankful we are getting the game but it's kinda sad it wasn't handled better.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:01 am

James Brown wrote: Yeah, Magic Maze sounds very interesting. Surely this should be one of the questions we ask tonight on Twitch, we need to say that if the game will not be released for 2 and a half years, there's a good 2 year period there where we can still fully support the game and reach those demanding stretch goals gradually. I say 2 years, since by that point they probably would be finalising everything and planning the release, getting the thing to market and shelves etc. But there surely has to be a good 2 year period there where we can use something like a paypal donations page when the kickstarter has ended, or like someone previously mentioned using a website called Patreon, I would gladly support this. Maybe we could follow in the $30 on the 3rd trend, and each pledge $30 a month to Patreon, some people would pledge higher ofc, but say the kickstarter ends at 6 mil, not quite sure what is futher planned after 11 mil, but say over 2 years we need 5 more mil, If 7000 of us did just the $30 a month on paetron, we would get that extra 5 mil :)...considering come the end of the kickstarter there could be around 70k backers, only 10% of us would need to continue to support it and we'd get the absolute complete Shenmue 3 experience.

they can totally keep taking money via Paypal after the kickstarter ends, however there will be a point in development/production where they need to lock the feature set in stone, otherwise they'll never be able to finish, QA and polish the game for launch.

I would think at the very least they can take payments for at least another 12 months after the kickstarter finishes, but to do this they'll need to do aggressive advertisements, frequent interviews with gaming sites, show progress updates of areas in the game and they really need to get a physical PS4 copy out there at some point. If they are going to take payments via paypal they need to have a donations counter for paypal too, which is updated daily or weekly so the community isn't in the dark on how further donations are going.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Giorgio » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:12 am

«Shenmue 3 is happening.- That's enough. Everything else is just bonus. Hope it will reach the $5M mark, though, because the "Character Perspective System" sounds really interesting.»

[Repeat the above/previous whole statement; stop at the first phrase when the Kickstarter is over, or (if PayPal or 'Star Citizen'-like crowdfunding models are adopted, then stop) when Shenmue 3 is released (or when those models of crowdfunding are over, too). - While crowdfunding is active (in any form), If the denoted Stretch Goal of the last phrase is reached, then replace that (Stretch Goal) with the next one (or with the one, that has not yet be reached, of your preference).]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:25 am

This situation should really cause Kickstarter to develop a system that after the main Kickstarter would allow fans to continue to fund a game and get rewards. Because as it is now Paypal won't get people rewards. I really don't care that much about rewards, I want the game. But if there's a $1,000 goal there are some people(like me) who just can't drop that much money in one go. But if you give me a year or two I could easily do that.

That would really entice someone who wants to get the $1,000 reward to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates