I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

I couldn't help but play through part of Disc 4 last night, despite only being on the first disc of Shenmue I of my first post-announcement play of the game.

I'm always astounded that within 5 minutes, it feels like a drastically different game than the previous Hong Kong and Kowloon portions. And then, thinking way back to Yokosuka, and you truly are in a totally different world.

Shenhua's long, long awaited introduction was also an epic moment - I loved the shots of her running down the river, although the whole saving her from drowning bit came off a tad cliche. But, it makes more sense to have that dramatic element than to just bump into her in the woods. And saving a deer from drowning, you soon realize, is such a Shenhua thing to do.

You immediately start to see where Suzuki is taking this game when you first start interacting with Shenhua. The choices are limited, for now, but what's really amazing is seeing Ryo actually communicate. I swear he opens up more to Shenhua in the first five minutes of meeting her than he does to anyone else in the entire game thus far.

The "Deep Green Way" segment is also magical. The faster-paced Shenmue theme remix and those soothing QTE sounds were such a nice touch. I can vaguely remember playing through this for the first time and realizing how special this area of the game was going to be.

The scene with the hawk outside the crag is one of my favorites of the entire game.

Admittedly, day two of your trek drags a bit here and there but it's still littered with some great scenes. Ryo almost having a meltdown when Shenhua leans in for a friendly kiss is classic, if you manage to trigger it.

The fact so many scenes and conversations are optional is also pretty remarkable. The game rewards the player for taking their time and keeps them coming back for more. The scene with the dandelions - along with the Shenmue tree and the final scenes in the cave - is a pivotal moment, and also completely missable! I'm grateful that my first time playing, I chose the left path and got to witness this (literal) magic - Ryo's reaction and the conversation that follows was such a genius, and subtle, way to introduce Shenhua's powers.

And then, of course - the Shenmue tree. I remember a rising feeling in my gut as I saw Ryo following Shenhua up the path with the giant tree in sight - I think I felt the power of the Shenmue tree, because I knew something special was about to happen. And then to hear Shenhua utter the word "Shenmue"... well, my jaw dropped even more than when Lan Di appeared on the helicopter. The thing that really gets me is that - up to this point, I never really wondered what "Shenmue" meant nor why the game was titled Shenmue. I just don't think it ever really hit me to ask why. And hear we are, at least a quarter or a third of the way through Ryo's tale, and we get that bomb dropped on us.

From there on out, every last second of the game is pure perfection. Exploring Shenhua's house and getting all those hints for future games is such a tease! The Cloud Bird Trail portion is also so well done - the music, and the scene in which Shenhua realizes the birds are gone and that something awful has happened - talk about intense. And then, the camera shifts to first person for a few moments as Ryo and Shenhua run the rest of the way - something about that is really memorable to me, too - up until this point, there weren't any scenes quite like that but it felt so fitting for this moment.

And then the mouth of the cave, the Stone Pit itself, the music, the sword, the mirror, the ropes and fire, the giant mirrors, and the way Ryo and Shenhua look at each other and realize this is so much bigger than either of them ever could have imagined...it's hard to find the words.

It was awesome experiencing this for the first time actually knowing for certain that I'll get to see what happens next..what a feeling!

Lan Di-sama has received 5 thanks from: Himuro, JaySw34, johnvivant, Miles Prower, Truck_1_0_1_
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:10 am

just finished disc 3 again and after all this time it's still as epically mind blowing as the first time I played it.
Those QTE's in the Yellow Head Bldg are nothing but pure, raw adrenaline :heart:

Now then, Disc 4... my lovely, lovely disc 4... \:D/

The Yellowhead building, from sewers to roof, is the best hour or so in gaming history, IMO; nothing even REMOTELY comes close to the long, epic, wonderful images and experiences in that building, NOTHING.

And who's that in your avatar, Sonoshee?
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: And then, of course - the Shenmue tree. I remember a rising feeling in my gut as I saw Ryo following Shenhua up the path with the giant tree in sight - I think I felt the power of the Shenmue tree, because I knew something special was about to happen. And then to hear Shenhua utter the word "Shenmue"... well, my jaw dropped even more than when Lan Di appeared on the helicopter. The thing that really gets me is that - up to this point, I never really wondered what "Shenmue" meant nor why the game was titled Shenmue. I just don't think it ever really hit me to ask why. And hear we are, at least a quarter or a third of the way through Ryo's tale, and we get that bomb dropped on us.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean, I'd never thought to question what the title actually meant either :lol: Although I guess a few clues were there - the 'Antiquity Tree' cassette tape in S1 for instance, which of course is a remix of the main Shenmue theme, which is a nice bit of foreshadowing in a place you wouldn't expect (same deal with 'Flower Girl' being a remix of Shenhua's theme).
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby alexh86 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:29 pm

I think the content on the fourth disc getting released with Shenmue II is actually the reason that this community stayed alive and Shenmue III is currently in production. It would have been easy to end the game on the dramatic high note at the end of disc 3 but lots of games have big, epic fights. As incredible as it is, up to that point, Shenmue is a simple revenge quest that presumably ends with fighting Lan Di.

Meeting Shenhua completely changes the game and takes it to such a deep level that you can't help but shout at your TV the first time you find out where the story leaves the player. It's that disc that gives you the need to know what happens next. I think Shenmue would be remembered fondly by some but you wouldn't have nearly as many gamers clamoring for a conclusion if the fourth disc content were never revealed to the players.

alexh86 has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, johnvivant, Miles Prower
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:46 pm

alexh86 wrote: I think the content on the fourth disc getting released with Shenmue II is actually the reason that this community stayed alive and Shenmue III is currently in production. It would have been easy to end the game on the dramatic high note at the end of disc 3 but lots of games have big, epic fights. As incredible as it is, up to that point, Shenmue is a simple revenge quest that presumably ends with fighting Lan Di.

Meeting Shenhua completely changes the game and takes it to such a deep level that you can't help but shout at your TV the first time you find out where the story leaves the player. It's that disc that gives you the need to know what happens next. I think Shenmue would be remembered fondly by some but you wouldn't have nearly as many gamers clamoring for a conclusion if the fourth disc content were never revealed to the players.

I never considered this.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Beyond what has been said, these things stick me :

- Relation between Bailu Village and China Emperors, supposing a lot of marvelous (and secret) stuff to discover.

- The mountains of death described in the right painting. "Those who set foot in these mountains have ever returned." It smells a Shenmue 3 intermediate location with a lot of action and tension moments. I wonder if the "high ground battle" feature is related.

- 50 people live in Bailu Village.

- Assuming Shenmue 3 begins straight away after the S2 end, just imagine this with Unreal Engine 4 :

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:09 pm

The death mountains are interesting too.

I think we'll meet the lady who taught Shenhua how to sew. In fact, I think we've seen the character design for her.

I also think eventually we may see Luoyang. That's where Shenhua's Tang dynasty flashbacks come from, so who knows.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:27 am

I want to replay 1 and 2 but a month ago i borrowed the games and the dreamcast to a friend... Now im waiting him to finish 2, i want to replay them so fucking eagerly now!!!! Knowing that 3 is a reality and i didnt beat them in a looooong time i know for sure that this time will be amazing experience, specially the 4th disc in 2!!
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby shieldos » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm

I've been debating whether to yet again play through the games or wait for the remaster. But reading all of your guys posts is sending me crazy with nostalgia, not sure I'll be able to hold out for a possible remaster announcement.
shieldos

PSN: Xieldos
XBL: Xieldos09

Previous

Return to Shenmue III