Super Villian Peter Moore supports Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Super Villian Peter Moore supports Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Still don't forgive his bald headed ass.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Axm, myshtuff
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby maurox1988 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 pm

He must donate 1M if he wants to be forgiven.

maurox1988 has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, NeoShredder
maurox1988
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:21 pm

What did he do wrong? I don't remember.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Fuck you Peter Moore.

mjq jazz bar wrote: What did he do wrong? I don't remember.

He sold the exclusive rights to the full English version of Shenmue to Microsoft, hence why we didn't get Shenmue 2 in the US on the Dreamcast, and why Europe got the Japanese dialogue.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Is he trying to redeem himself with this? :lol:
It's still nice to see that these "famous" people contribute to the Kickstarter.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 pm

What equally annoys me as much as that, was when he announced GTA IV with a "tattoo".

AND I bet my right nut he backed it for 5 bucks.

Tight fisted bellend
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Peter wrote:AND I bet my right nut he backed it for 5 bucks.

Or he didn't back it at all, maybe.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Lol you gotta love (or love to hate) that guy! XD
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:09 pm

THAT'S why everyone hates him?

Look, facts are that if not for him, Sega would probably not exist anymore, which means no Shenmue, no Yakuza, etc.

I don't LOVE the guy, but come on now.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby asnozz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Each to their own, I think he is one of the better senior managers in the industry... definitely a gamer as well - he gained a lot of my respect while running SEGA at the end (unlike some of their current management).

Being European I got Shenmue 2 (and it is better with subtitles), plus it allowed Shenmue 2 to expand it's audience on a new console. If it hadnt been re-released it would have been one of the last games on a dead system and would have been mostly ignored (or atleast more so). There was no guaranty that Sega would have released it on the xbox, PS2, Gamecube without his involvement.... We can't have our cake and eat it..

asnozz
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: asnozz
XBL: asnozz360
Steam: asnozz
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

asnozz wrote:Being European I got Shenmue 2 (and it is better with subtitles), plus it allowed Shenmue 2 to expand it's audience on a new console. If it hadnt been re-released it would have been one of the last games on a dead system and would have been mostly ignored (or atleast more so). There was no guaranty that Sega would have released it on the xbox, PS2, Gamecube without his involvement.... We can't have our cake and eat it..

Yeah, that's always been my take on it. People just wanted someone to blame for Shenmue's fate and so they blame it on Peter Moore, when really it was just one of those things. SEGA was on the verge of dying before the merger (which was more like a takeover) with Sammy and Moore being a fan of Shenmue whilst also being former SEGA personnel wanted to bring Shenmue to a larger audience than what was on Dreamcast (which by the point of Shenmue 2's EU release, was definitely small). At the time, it would seem like a way to "save" Shenmue. Shenmue fans sure can be wiser after the fact, but at the time it seemed like the right fit for Shenmue. It would have been nice if SEGA still bartered a way to release 2 for those outside Europe on the Dreamcast too, but SEGA was probably pretty desperate at the time and just took whatever offer came their way. Even if Shenmue 2 did "bomb" on Xbox, it still reached a larger audience (some members on here will testify to that) than it would have being left on Dreamcast to die a "noble death" with the chances of Shenmue 3 ever being released even lower than what we have now.

The vilifying of Peter Moore is just silly to me, sorry.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, asnozz, Reprise
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 pm

How does it make sense removing a sequel to a game with an install base ready to purchase and take it to another console that hardly anybody wanted at the time?
I remember killing myself trying to come up with the money for an Xbox and Shenmue 2. Thinking..why why..all the Shenmue fans already have a DC.

He split the largest fanbase into two with that move. And it was all out of self interest. A strategy for securing his new job at MS was to secure the DC IP's for leverage against anyone else seeking the position.

If not for him, perhaps we would have seen Shenmue and other Sega IP's go proper 3rd party across all 3 systems instead of console exclusive. We very well could have had Shenmue 3 on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.
Instead we had people import the European version with sales only refelcted in that region and shitty Xbox failure numbers in the U.S
Shenmue 3 was out of the question at that point.

And as for S2x leading to a larger audience, sure, lots of people got Shenmue 2 bargain bin for $5 out there and we now have a larger fanbase.
But that could have also happened across others systems at the same time aswell.
We could have seen Shenmue 2 bargain bin on PS2, GC and Xbox and gained even more fans.

But you know what, if he wants to claim to have done the KS then bless his tiny little black heart.
Last edited by Axm on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Axm has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Disagree. Dreamcast was deader than dead by that point. Xbox was newer and had a larger install base. I prefer Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast too, but like I said, SEGA were no doubt desperate and in dire straits. They no doubt would have gone to GameCube if Nintendo wanted to make a deal. Like I said though, if they still released Shenmue 2 on DC in territories outside Europe, this wouldn't have been such a big issue, right? But the game reached new fans on Xbox, Dreamcast always has been a "niche" console. I literally have never met anyone who has ever owned one and certainly no one at my school ever had one at the time.

Think of the advantages of what came later; we got a larger Shenmue fanbase than we would have had otherwise and we got 2 versions of the same game, each with their own advantages over each other (DC with its Japanese voices and Eng subs, Xbox with its English VA; DC with the softer visuals and being able to carry over your saves from Shenmue 1; Xbox version having more visual options, bloom everywhere [yuck], not being able to bring over your save files from S1 etc etc). We got Shenmue 3 and now have more people pledging for 3 than we would have if it stayed on Dreamcast, with its bad sales.

Yeah, shame on Peter Moore for not leaving Shenmue 2 to die on a dead console, shame on him. :roll:
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Disagree. Dreamcast was deader than dead by that point. Xbox was newer and had a larger install base. I prefer Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast too, but like I said, SEGA were no doubt desperate and in dire straits. They no doubt would have gone to GameCube if Nintendo wanted to make a deal. Like I said though, if they still released Shenmue 2 on DC in territories outside Europe, this wouldn't have been such a big issue, right? But the game reached new fans on Xbox, Dreamcast always has been a "niche" console. I literally have never met anyone who has ever owned one and certainly no one at my school ever had one at the time.

Think of the advantages of what came later; we got a larger Shenmue fanbase than we would have had otherwise and we got 2 versions of the same game, each with their own advantages over each other (DC with its Japanese voices and Eng subs, Xbox with its English VA; DC with the softer visuals and being able to carry over your saves from Shenmue 1; Xbox version having more visual options, bloom everywhere [yuck], not being able to bring over your save files from S1 etc etc). We got Shenmue 3 and now have more people pledging for 3 than we would have if it stayed on Dreamcast, with its bad sales.

Yeah, shame on Peter Moore for not leaving Shenmue 2 to die on a dead console, shame on him. :roll:

I dont buy this, he saved Sega argument for a minute. Anyone would have made the call to go 3rd party in his position and Sega would have kept making games regardless. The difference is that he took it all as an opportunity to leverage his career when it was time to abandon ship. Good for him, bad for us.
And I had tons of school mates with a DC at the time. They immidiately sold the DC and went PS2 or GC when it died. Xbox didnt catch on here until XBL launched way after the Sega exculsives had come out and failed already.

And dont get me wrong about the advantages of Shenmue 2x..great version and all but that could have been done equally aswell on GC and on PS2 worse, but with a mega install base all eager for a game like Shenmue.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III