Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Joel "red shirt" Tess Discussion Topic (Twitch)

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Yokosuka Martian wrote: While I do think the whole thing could have been handled better, I agree that we shouldn't be attacking anyone personally. There are better ways to go about this. We as fans of Shenmue should simply help them make it better. They are clearly open to suggestions and criticism.

Hmmm, are they? Their social media presence is next to null. There's really no interaction with the fanbase that I can see aside from these one off interviews with Yu Suzuki and I am guessing those happen because of Yu Suzuki himself more than anything else.

I mean, it is taking them forever to even "consider" a PayPal option for people who don't like Kickstarter. I mean, come on, time is getting on now. It's really about time they already sorted basic things like that out.

I do agree the PayPal thing should be an option because many have complained that it is their only way of funding. What would you recommend they do to increase their social media presence, though? I feel like all we can do now is simply deal with the hand that we've been dealt with. Suzuki won't change companies halfway through the campaign so we'll just have to collaborate with AJ.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:42 pm

There's an easy way to settle this argument...like him or not, after seeing his performance last night would you hire him to do the marketing of a game that has one more chance to prove it's worth resurrecting after 14 years? No, none of us would. There is too much on the line to act like a 16 year old(no offense to you teenagers) especially when your in the presence AND WORKING FOR one of the top video game developers in the history of gaming.

I've got absolutely nothing personally against him, I'm sure he's an ok guy when you get to know him. But he made that interview last night HIS interview. Pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if Yu is related to one of them(my money isn't on Joel) because the only reason you wouldn't cut them loose after last night is family.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Shendream
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:What would you recommend they do to increase their social media presence, though? I feel like all we can do now is simply deal with the hand that we've been dealt with.

Tweet and post on Facebook a couple of times a day. You only have 30 days with a Kickstarter campaign so have to be quick and in people's faces. Do stupid things like RT this message 1000 times and we will show some new concept art. RT this tweet for a chance to win a replica of Ryo's bandaid. Just stuff that get's the community involved in spreading the word.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Yokosuka Martian wrote: While I do think the whole thing could have been handled better, I agree that we shouldn't be attacking anyone personally. There are better ways to go about this. We as fans of Shenmue should simply help them make it better. They are clearly open to suggestions and criticism.

Hmmm, are they? Their social media presence is next to null. There's really no interaction with the fanbase that I can see aside from these one off interviews with Yu Suzuki and I am guessing those happen because of Yu Suzuki himself more than anything else.

I mean, it is taking them forever to even "consider" a PayPal option for people who don't like Kickstarter. I mean, come on, time is getting on now. It's really about time they already sorted basic things like that out.

I do agree the PayPal thing should be an option because many have complained that it is their only way of funding. What would you recommend they do to increase their social media presence, though? I feel like all we can do now is simply deal with the hand that we've been dealt with. Suzuki won't change companies halfway through the campaign so we'll just have to collaborate with AJ.

They have a Twitter account but you really wouldn't know it. They never reply to any questions and have hardly tweeted anything at all, but Awesome Japan are supposed to be the PR and marketing team, so at least some social media presence should be required to promote the Kickstarter. They're basically just relying on us to do all of the work for them. And that's cool, we're the fans, but there's only so much we can do and they're the ones getting paid to do it.

And people have been posting their ideas on here a lot already. Add a Facebook account that frequently updates, get some sort of mail list going, add more goals which should be clearer from the start, get on top of the games media bashing the Kickstarter rather than just ignoring it, add frequent updates to the Kickstarter (sort of like how the guys doing the Bloodstained Kickstarter did, or the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter), get friends of Yu Suzuki's who are influential in game development to post videos on why people should help their friend Yu Suzuki with donating to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, have a blog, do some sort of viral marketing thing, advertise the Kickstarter even just a little bit; it was just E3 and that was it, anybody who isn't into gaming anymore wouldn't know about Shenmue 3 (like I've said before, there's still loads of former Dojo members who haven't logged in who we thought would...) add an official YouTube page and upload videos, add incentives for people outside Europe and NA to donate. There's really loads of ways to advertise things nowadays. It's really not my job to come up with ideas for a marketing/PR firm anyway, they should be the ones to do this sort of thing.[/tired]

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:get friends of Yu Suzuki's who are influential in game development to post videos on why people should help their friend Yu Suzuki with donating to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter,

They did thank Mark Cerny and then link to a year old interview with Kotaku he did...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Yes. A constant social media presence is necessary. You have to make updates fairly often to people will interact. The more people interact with your posts the more your posts will be shown to others. There's a complicated algorithm for Facebook and probably Twitter. And it's heavily dependent on shares, likes and other interaction. Shenmue 3's Twitter has had four posts in the past two days. Not horrible but they've got 30 days to attack the Internet with the Kickstarter campaign. so far they've dropped the ball.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:get friends of Yu Suzuki's who are influential in game development to post videos on why people should help their friend Yu Suzuki with donating to the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter,

They did thank Mark Cerny and then link to a year old interview with Kotaku he did...

I seriously think the likes of Mark Cerny would be happy to do a video about Shenmue 3. Ryan Payton did one and then...that was it. A shame really. Just keeping the momentum going is important.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:42 pm

awesome japan has got to be the worst name ever invented for any kind of company and last night they justified that name. I can't believe it! any homeless person from the street could do a better job at this. the ks page still looks like shit as well after more than a week!
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Himuro wrote: I think attacking people is crass and pointless and does nothing for our cause.

Maybe not, but it's fun.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Glad I just read the translation of the Q and A, I got about 15 minutes into the video and was just like "Nope". Idk what was this red shirt dudes deal, but his behavior was definitely unusual, even by todays standards. But again, I think most people are just over reacting, the information we got from that video was good information. Sure Awesome Japan might actually be a steaming pile, but they were probably cheap and able, or suzuki or someone knew them and did them a favor.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby hoonding » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Looks like I missed all the fun.

Joel acted like the host of one of those late night Japanese variety shows. At least he didn't eat a shoe.
hoonding
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Wanderin' » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Damn it. This Joel Tess character is one thing but the much bigger issue at hand right now is something that many of us have already realized after we've had enough of our share of this court jester's antics - that the real and ongoing incompetence/inability of Awesome Japan's management of Shenmue 3's kickstarter is literally debilitating any chance that the project has of reaching its financial objectives.

It's painfully obvious - like someone else already said, if we even just had the same PR people who did the Kickstarter for Igarashi's Bloodstained, we would, for most intents and purposes, probably already be closing in on the 11 million + mark. As it stands right now, we probably won't even hit the final dollar amount that the Bloodstained Kickstarter reached.

Hell, if Awesome Japan just reviewed and copied/mimiced how the Bloodstained Kickstarter was managed and executed, I'd imagine we'd in better shape right now. As it stands right now, Shenmue 3's Kickstarter needs to be completely revised - but - for now it seems as if Shenmue 3 is being condemned to being a no frills and potentially vey linear story driven continuation of the series (with a projected Kickstarter fund of barely over the 2 million goal), which is too bad, given just how weve done and hoped for the game.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby go-ren » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Yea this sort of harassment and lampooning is super shitty and incredibly immature. If the mods don't care to take this sort of garbage down then I suppose they won't mind my comment. Go fuck yourselves. Are you adults? That's embarrassing. I can understand why the gaming community has a lot of people who pull shit like this. It's filled with 30 year old virgins and cynical teenage twerps who rely on escapism to make up for their pathetic lives and think its ok to try to humiliate others instead of looking in the mirror at their own mediocrity. A little clue, its not ok. Dude gave me quite the laugh but he just seemed like a harmless hyped Shenmue fan. Like a kid in a toy store and I don't blame him for that. He made what would have otherwise been a pretty dry and boring 50 minutes kind of entertaining. This is why the gaming community is so pathetic. They are just games and you take this shit waaay to seriously. The kickstarter is doing fine btw. If you want to take something serious don't watch gaming news, watch world news and instead of bashing harmless and powerless individuals go full ham on corrupt politicians and corporations. Spend the time making the world a better place instead of harassing insignificant people you worthless twerps. Fuk.

edit: Sorry 30 year old virgins, I didn't mean to bring you into this.
Last edited by go-ren on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go-ren has received 2 thanks from: 7heavens, Jibby
go-ren
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Wanderin' wrote:
It's painfully obvious - like someone else already said, if we even just had the same PR people who did the Kickstarter for Igarashi's Bloodstained, we would, for most intents and purposes, probably already be closing in on the 11 million + mark. As it stands right now, we probably won't even hit the final dollar amount that the Bloodstained Kickstarter reached..

while i generally agree they are fudging the kickstarter, it was never going to hit 10/11 million. No video game has ever gotten close to this on kickstarter, especially not a sequel for a series of games that came out 14 years ago. With a proper company running the kickstarter we would have easily beaten Bloodstained and exceeded 5.5 million (probably 6 - 6.5 million). But 10 million was never a possibility.

With the way Awesome Japan are running this kickstarter we should be ecstatic with anything between 4-4.5 million.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby go-ren » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:05 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
Wanderin' wrote:
It's painfully obvious - like someone else already said, if we even just had the same PR people who did the Kickstarter for Igarashi's Bloodstained, we would, for most intents and purposes, probably already be closing in on the 11 million + mark. As it stands right now, we probably won't even hit the final dollar amount that the Bloodstained Kickstarter reached..

while i generally agree they are fudging the kickstarter, it was never going to hit 10/11 million. No video game has ever gotten close to this on kickstarter, especially not a sequel for a series of games that came out 14 years ago. With a proper company running the kickstarter we would have easily beaten Bloodstained and exceeded 5.5 million (probably 6 - 6.5 million). But 10 million was never a possibility.

With the way Awesome Japan are running this kickstarter we should be ecstatic with anything between 4-4.5 million.

Oh really? I must have been looking somewhere else then cause last I checked the kick starter is doing quite well actually. If it ever got hurt to begin with its thanks to shitty journalism, x-box fanboys shit talking, and a general lack of understanding of how businesses work on the part of many in the gaming community. We are at 3.75 mil with 3 weeks left to go. A big push is coming on Friday with 30 on the 3rd, probably a lot more big investments with the next round of reward tiers, and of course the last minute bump. All in all it looks like Shenmue is on track to beat Bloodstained. Could the KS have been better, maybe. But it's doing relatively great and thus far there's nothing I can really pin on Awesome Japan as having done wrong. The twitch interview included which everyone is taking waaay to seriously. If there's a problem anywhere, its with the people on this forum and this thread in particular, who are being unsatisfiable and entitled cynical assholes who go around harassing and mocking undeserving people.

go-ren has received 2 thanks from: 7heavens, AnimeGamer183
go-ren
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III