What in the world happened with the KS today?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What in the world happened with the KS today?

Postby Yama » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Himuro wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:
I can't see where that last line helps at all, why say it . I mean, it will only drive a negative feeling in others to have the same feeling. That's how people work, let's just try our best to reach the goals we want. Why not

It's plenty helpful. It's especially helpful for me so that I no longer get emotionally attached to a game that may or may not be shit. After a long line of years waiting - pretty much a decade in my case - I am coming to terms with the honest to God truth: that Shenmue is cursed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If the game turns out well, fine. That'll be nice. But at current trajectory, given every single bit of evidence thrown at the wall, it isn't. And I refuse - REFUSE - to be emotionally attached to a game I've been waiting a decade for that turns out to be shit.

So I assume that you will be leaving then, yes?

If that's what you want.

Right, but to be fair a few weeks back we'd have taken a damn 2D side scroller or a manga, now we're giving up before development even starts? I understand your frustration, I share it. But this is definitely going to be a marathon and we haven't even gotten out of the box yet, it's no time to give up. The leaving part over a disagreement with two people was especially silly though, no offense. Just relax, one way or another it can only go up from here, let's do what we do.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Hyo Razuki, Reprise
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:19 pm

LucBu wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:This isn't a competition. And that last line was totally out of order.

Sometimes I feel the green reputation bars represent level of maturity. Then I see posts like Himuro's and I think the green bars mean nothing.

In the past few pages, we have had Peter tell people not to talk about Awesome Japan because he deems it off topic, even though it totally pertains to the topic. If you think the Dojo of all places, will handle this situation with "maturity", then you are in for a surprise to kill that sweet, sweet naivete. Emotions are high. People are backing hundreds - thousands - of all dollars into this, and if you expect maturity, especially after last Friday's gaffe, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby spinksy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I hate negativity etc etc etc

But I'm finding this whole kickstarter thing quite depressing and I know I shouldn't.

I'm really grateful and beyond happy we're getting a sequel but this whole thing has been handled so poorly and it just now feels like we're begging people to pledge and be interested when this whole campaign should be attracting people to have a look and donate.

As said I'm happy it's happening, just depressing how much better they could of done things.

5 million would be great so hopefully we'll pass that amount.

spinksy has received a thanks from: Gavan
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Yama wrote:
Himuro wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:
I can't see where that last line helps at all, why say it . I mean, it will only drive a negative feeling in others to have the same feeling. That's how people work, let's just try our best to reach the goals we want. Why not

It's plenty helpful. It's especially helpful for me so that I no longer get emotionally attached to a game that may or may not be shit. After a long line of years waiting - pretty much a decade in my case - I am coming to terms with the honest to God truth: that Shenmue is cursed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If the game turns out well, fine. That'll be nice. But at current trajectory, given every single bit of evidence thrown at the wall, it isn't. And I refuse - REFUSE - to be emotionally attached to a game I've been waiting a decade for that turns out to be shit.

If that's what you want.

Right, but to be fair a few weeks back we'd have taken a damn 2D side scroller or a manga, now we're giving up before development even starts? I understand your frustration, I share it. But this is definitely going to be a marathon and we haven't even gotten out of the box yet, it's no time to give up. The leaving part over a disagreement with two people was especially silly though, no offense. Just relax, one way or another it can only go up from here, let's do what we do.

Well I don't appreciate a staff member telling me to leave despite my opinions and my own contributions to the Dojo.

And I have always been the type that didn't want Shenmue III if it could not be done in a skillful, quality manner. I know a lot of people differ on that. I'd rather have no game than a shit game.

I also don't appreciation natural frustrations and concerns being framed "negativity". We had a discussion about this the other day in that topic with Mittenz. I have no idea, how anyone paying attention, possibly COULD frame it as negativity.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 pm

I doubt people would be as concerned if Bloodstained hadn't set the bar so high so recently. It just sucks knowing what we could've had and what we ended up with. They really should've tried harder to find a great team knowing they were trying to raise an unprecedented amount of money on Kickstarter. This is a game that was announced on the Sony E3 stage. It's insane they somehow got stuck with Awesome Japan, a company that has no credibility.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Himuro wrote:
Yama wrote:
Himuro wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

If that's what you want.

Well I don't appreciate a staff member telling me to leave despite my opinions and my own contributions to the Dojo.

And I have always been the type that didn't want Shenmue III if it could not be done in a skillful, quality manner. I know a lot of people differ on that. I'd rather have no game than a shit game.

I also don't appreciation natural frustrations and concerns being framed "negativity". We had a discussion about this the other day in that topic with Mittenz. I have no idea, how anyone paying attention, possibly COULD frame it as negativity.

I'm not a staff member.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

Not one line of code has yet been written and you're already giving up on it. Shenmue isn't cursed, its a great videogame series that sold poorly but has a small dedicated fanbase.

If it was easy to make it rain and gather funds for Shenmue 3, we wouldn't have to wait 14 years for it. As it stands, Shenmue 3 is a reality and will end KS with around $5M plus Sony and Shibuya funds.

After KS, paypal will be open and we will see what we can do. Shenmue is no Castlevania or Megaman and will still outfund them.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 pm

I really never considered leaving, but I found South Carmain's rebuttal just as immature - if not more - than my own outburst. I have no idea what his problem is.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Anyone here that doesn't want to dwell on Awesome Japan's credentials and be negative? I don't have anything against those guys who do, but I was just thinking fuck it, I've wanted this game for 14 years, it's happening, it's funded, Yu Suzuki is at the helm, plenty of the designers/developers are back, I think I'll just be super positive and look forward to the game.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Himuro wrote: I really never considered leaving, but I found South Carmain's rebuttal just as immature - if not more - than my own outburst. I have no idea what his problem is.

Well since you don't give a fuck about this game anymore and I can't remember you posting here when the game was dead I assumed you would be leaving now.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:33 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

Not one line of code has yet been written and you're already giving up on it. Shenmue isn't cursed, its a great videogame series that sold poorly but has a small dedicated fanbase.

If it was easy to make it rain and gather funds for Shenmue 3, we wouldn't have to wait 14 years for it. As it stands, Shenmue 3 is a reality and will end KS with around $5M plus Sony and Shibuya funds.

After KS, paypal will be open and we will see what we can do. Shenmue is no Castlevania or Megaman and will still outfund them.

I'm happy the KS is happening, but the way it has been handled from beginning to end is just horrible on morale. I was really getting my hopes up and thinking they were making attempts to improve and listen to the fans - more stretch goals, a big update from Yu, a Reddit AMA, a Twitch stream - but the Twitch stream, just seeing the two people handling the KS made me deflate. I just cannot believe these two people are handling my money.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Reprise wrote: Anyone here that doesn't want to dwell on Awesome Japan's credentials and be negative? I don't have anything against those guys who do, but I was just thinking fuck it, I've wanted this game for 14 years, it's happening, it's funded, Yu Suzuki is at the helm, plenty of the designers/developers are back, I think I'll just be super positive and look forward to the game.

It's hard to ignore since it's all 90% of the fanbase is talking about. It's a serious issue that needs to be resolved. Do you trust them to ship out your rewards or run the Paypal funding, for instance?

They've turned something we've all waited a long time for into a big, bad joke, and there are much better, more deserving firms out there that could've done this campaign justice.

My biggest gripe is people not understanding Sony's role in making the Kickstarter succeed. People seem to think that was a hindrance. Quite the contrary. It's the only reason we got $2 million in a day. Awesome Japan would've sunk this project on their own.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:36 pm

south carmain wrote:
Himuro wrote: I really never considered leaving, but I found South Carmain's rebuttal just as immature - if not more - than my own outburst. I have no idea what his problem is.

Well since you don't give a fuck about this game anymore and I can't remember you posting here when the game was dead I assumed you would be leaving now.

I didn't say i don't care about the game. Also, I can easily still contribute and see where it goes without getting emotionally invested and waiting for disappointment. This doesn't mean I don't "give a fuck" about the game anymore at all, and you can fuck off, personally.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:37 pm

I feel like this whole KS is a perfect representation of Shenmue's story and Yu Suzuki's story with Shenmue.

The ideas are there, the talent is there, the potential is huge, but mismanagement puts a huge brake to most of it, almost killing it.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Himuro wrote:
south carmain wrote:

I didn't say i don't care about the game. Also, I can easily still contribute and see where it goes without getting emotionally invested and waiting for disappointment. This doesn't mean I don't "give a fuck" about the game anymore at all, and you can fuck off, personally.

Contribute as in complain people were calling you negative after spending an entire thread telling someone to not be negative?

Anyway in your own words: "this game is fucked" so there's not much point in you hanging around just so you can try and tell people "I told you so". That jab at peter was pretty unwarranted too considering you took a lucky guess and all he was saying was that you're no expert so shouldn't speak with so much certainty on the subject.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III