Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Japan

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Japan

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 am

I made attempts at contacting the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter team regarding the explanation of stretch goals, new rewards, VO choice and budget, redoing the video campaign, the reason for the choice of multiple playable characters and how to reel in the general gaming community when most never even heard of the first two games.

My plead yielded the following reply:

Hello,

Very sorry for not getting back sooner! Ok, here we go:
Stretch Goals - Thank you! We are working on it! Trying to be more specific with the SGs and will try to get the explanations moved over. Mr. Suzuki does not want to get too deep without giving all the story away!
Mirrors - Trying!
Video - Still very early development, so there is not much game footage yet. As for scene requests... I think we will have to leave that up to Mr. Suzuki. Again can't give away the story!
At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.
Why multiple characters? Mr. Suzuki has stated this is one of the things that he really wants to do with Shenmue 3. Will definitely let him know though!
Why care about Shenmue 3? Got it. You are very right. Top priority now getting the message across. We will have the page updated soon.
More rewards? Yes working on them now. Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you very much, please keep your ideas coming, because they will keep us going forward.

Joel &
the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

PS. I did not question the integrity of the work done by his team, because I believe it's counter-productive and unnecessary at this point.
Last edited by sand4fish on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received 6 thanks from: Amir, Anthony817, Mr357, Mystere, Reprise, Switch
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Response from Joel "The Red Shirt Guy" Tess & Awesome Ja

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:43 am

Seems some new things will be up soon then. Hopefully in the next couple of days for awards
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks. You did a good job.

I agree it's time to put the negativity to rest. The Kickstarter is dripping with it and I'm worried it's going to scare people away and discourage the team.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby spinksy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 am

Good stuff.
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:04 am

When I read that, I pictured him answering them in the exact same style as he presented the Twitch videos...

Peter has received 7 thanks from: Anthony817, Giorgio, Henry Spencer, MiTT3NZ, nskachu, Sonne2, Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks. Great job. Kudos to Joel Tess for replying. =D>

The line about "how much voicing there will be" is remarkable indeed. I wonder if it means the game will not be fully voiced this time but maybe have voice acting for cutscenes only. Kind of Yakuza-style. Well, it would be a step down of course, but I guess I could live with it. It worked fine with Yakuza.

Or does it mean they will either drop the English or the Japanese dub? Personally, I'd be fine without the English dub, but I'm not sure if it's gonna backfire sales-wise in the long run.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Reprise
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:06 am

Peter wrote: When I read that, I pictured him answering them in the exact same style as he presented the Twitch videos...

You and me both. :)

But, still, this guy has a lot of weight on his shoulders. While he could certainly do something about his behavior on the Twitch video, I wouldn't want to be where he is.

BayStone has received a thanks from: Reprise
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:12 am

To be fair, at least Awesome Japan are quite good when it comes to responding to user messages. I've sent a couple of questions and received answers relatively quickly. And they also seem willing to listen to our advice and feedback. Good job with the questions.

On an unrelated note, is it respectful to call Yu Suzuki "Mr.Suzuki" instead of "Suzuki-San"? (I know very little about Japanese culture so hopefully I'm not coming off as too ignorant)

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Reprise
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:18 am

Jibby wrote: To be fair, at least Awesome Japan are quite good when it comes to responding to user messages. I've sent a couple of questions and received answers relatively quickly. And they also seem willing to listen to our advice and feedback. Good job with the questions.

On an unrelated note, is it respectful to call Yu Suzuki "Mr.Suzuki" instead of "Suzuki-San"? (I know very little about Japanese culture so hopefully I'm not coming off as too ignorant)

My guess is that in English it's OK, since Mr Suzuki would be close to an equivalent of Suzuki-San.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 am

Peter wrote: When I read that, I pictured him answering them in the exact same style as he presented the Twitch videos...

When I read that, I pictured him with Cédric Bislay behind and a gun.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:25 am

Yokosuka wrote:

When I read that, I pictured him with Cédric Bislay behind and a gun.

Who was the one holding the gun? ;-)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:27 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Thanks. You did a good job.

I agree it's time to put the negativity to rest. The Kickstarter is dripping with it and I'm worried it's going to scare people away and discourage the team.

Yeah, it's too late to change things. Personally I hope we get more of that red shirt guy in the future, it was funny.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:31 am

I do think he reads the comments on the KS page or even the Dojo from time to time. I think after all the criticism he received, he probably won't do that again. That's what I hope at least.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mystere » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:32 am

sand4fish wrote:

Joel Tess wrote:
At the current stage of funding, it is still hard to know how much voicing there will be. There have been lots of comments for language switching and Mr. Suzuki is aware of the situation.

Sand4fish - what was your question here? Were you asking about the the likelihood of English VO's or whether everything (ie. Non-cutscene gameplay) will be voiced?
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am

Mystere wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

Joel Tess wrote:

Sand4fish - what was your question here? Were you asking about the the likelihood of English VO's or whether everything (ie. Non-cutscene gameplay) will be voiced?

I questioned specifically on whether having both Japanese and English VOs would be detrimental to the budget towards other game elements, such as sacrifice of NPCs and extended dialogues or refinement of certain game mechanics. That's why I personally prefer Shenmue 3 to have only Japanese VO, as Masaya Matsukaze is already attached to the project, but I understand my view is on the minority side.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Bambi
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III