Yu Suzuki wants Shenmue 1/2 HD Versions before Shenmue 3

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki wants Shenmue 1/2 HD Versions before Shenmue 3

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:46 pm

We need to get the ball rolling on 1 & 2. There needs to be a sustained Twitter blitz and a Facebook group for releasing the games on PS4 and PC. I don't see any reason why there can't be as much of a push behind the original games as there is for S3.

I don't think it would detract at all from the KS campaign, besides, 2017 is a long way off right now.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Right now we're trying to do awesome Japan's job. So I think we should focus all our efforts on Shenmue 3. After that's done we can hit the HD remakes. And hopefully we can contribute to Shenmue 3 on PayPaland that will be the other campaign after this month.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Agreed, and you're doing an awesome job with 30 on the 3rd, but we can begin planning now.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby mrandyk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:39 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
WhiteLikePaste wrote:it'll help boost sales so we can see Shenmue 4.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sega gave Yu 100% of $0.00 to make Shenmue 4. And I could understand that. They were generous enough to let him use the license. I think Yu is on his own as far as Sega is concerned.

EDIT
I realize you're talking about the availability of the first two helping Shenmue 4. And that's right. I think my mind made up something else you were talking about.

I should think that Yu Suzuki would legally be entitled to some royalties on the sales of Shenmue 1+2.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Weils » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:01 am

I would really like to see a Shenmue 1+2 HD remaster before Shenmue 3 is out. Hell, Sega should announce this before the kickstarter ends to generate more funds. What I'm worried is how much involvement will Sega be in? It's most likely that the remaster will end up on pc and PS4 since they are the only platforms announced for Shenmue 3 at the moment. If save content can be brought over to the 3rd game, how will Sega and Suzuki-san handle this? As what mrandyk mentioned, will Sega pay royalties to Suzuki and also get a cut for all 3 games?

Weils has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Weils
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Bayonetta 1+2

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:00 am

Wude-Tang Clan wrote: Agreed, and you're doing an awesome job with 30 on the 3rd, but we can begin planning now.

Definitely! Let me know if you think of anything I can do. I'll be brainstorming in the meantime.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm

The HD remasters are common sense 101. I can’t for the life of me comprehend how Suzuki is only waking up to this sh*t right now.

For Shenmue 3 to really sell copies, the series has to attract new fans. WTF would non-fans even back this KS in the first place when the first 2 installments are unavailable?

Truthfully, YS should have worked with Sega to release the remasters long before this KS, to drum up interest in the franchise. Hell, Kidnocon’s basically done half the damn work by himself already…for free.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby joka » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:37 pm

I think it's right that Yu's focus is on continuing the series rather than remaking it.

Yes HD remakes would be great and would naturally benefit S3 but that shouldnt be Yu's focus and concern- if Sega are stupid enough not to try and capitalise on Shenmue 3 being made then so be it.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:09 pm

I honestly don't care for HD remasters, I have them on Dreamcast and I am happy enough with that.
But I'm totally behind it to bring in new fans and see the interest in Shenmue 3 get an even bigger boost.

If a bunch of Dreamcast games can get the HD treatment then there's no reason Shenmue can't. While they're at it, they need to do Skies of Arcadia too :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Sonoshee wrote: I honestly don't care for HD remasters, I have them on Dreamcast and I am happy enough with that.
But I'm totally behind it to bring in new fans and see the interest in Shenmue 3 get an even bigger boost.

If a bunch of Dreamcast games can get the HD treatment then there's no reason Shenmue can't. While they're at it, they need to do Skies of Arcadia too :P

The $12 million stretch goal get you both Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD!
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm

I want remasters if only so I can get rid of my Xbox and Dreamcast. It feels so weird to have a console for only one game -- plus I kind of hate the controllers for both Xbox and Dreamcast. Just being able to use a Playstation pad alone would make the experience better. Really want this to happen. (oh and upgrades and such would be nice too i guess.... :P)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 pm

In all seriousness, Sega will most likely try to capitalize on the Kickstarter's success; we're bound to have these remasters at some point before Shenmue 3 comes out.

And...in all likelihood, it'll be some barebones port; I'm not even holding my breath for reworked textures/models. ](*,)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 pm

If they want to sell copies, the best way is to make a quality, original or astonishing game then inform people. If Shenmue 3 could own one of these three qualities and keep some natural hype from the E3 thing, it will be a fair success regardless the story knowledge of the audience. The Witcher 3 is a good illustration. And we were a lot to have discovered Shenmue by the II or IIx.

But since the kickstarter explains nothing of what could be the game, the remaster is definitely a need... Hope it comes BEFORE the kickstarter end.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 am

I don't understand how after all these years all you people still don't realize sega won't do a shenmue hd. I've said this years back when everyone somehow believed it was going to happen. sega can't do it for all sorts of trademark issues and it will also cost a lot of money. past dreamcast hd ports have sold terribly like jet set radio and others. reason why sega stepped out of skies of arcadia hd port. shenmue 1 and 2 hd port is simply not possible. even if sega believed it to sell well, they can't do it for licensing and trademark issues that have been stated before
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:10 pm

drunkensailor wrote:shenmue 1 and 2 hd port is simply not possible.

If Shenmue 3 is possible, then anything is possible.
Wude-Tang Clan

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates