KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward added.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

Postby Hadesillo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

This pretty much confirms the english dub, and I really do not like this. That money should be used in making the game better, and leave the game with the original japanese dub.
Hadesillo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: Hadesillo
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ceej » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:13 pm

I've heard a lot of people complaining about marketing the Shenmue Kickstarter to a larger audience, and without naming names, I've seen some of those same people complaining about there being an English dub. If you want Shenmue to be appealing to a larger group of people, you're going to need English voice acting. A game with a foreign language and English subtitles isn't the most accessible way to go about things. I respect everyone who does believe that the Japanese VOs are superior to the English dub but I believe that YSnet is making the right move.

I'll admit I'm very excited for this news though. Corey is Ryo to me, I really wanted him to come back.

Ceej has received 6 thanks from: Gavan, James Brown, Jibby, shredingskin, Yaohua, Yokosuka
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Does anyone know why Shenmue english dub was so bad ? If Yu Suzuki was at the dub direction in Shenmue 1, I can not see how he can do miracles this time. We have a small budget, he can't afford star dubbers.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby elmatto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 pm

THe fact that he was there could be one of the reasons why it was so goofy. English isn't his native language. It would be hard for him to notice how goofy it actually sounds. What they need is a director that can pull a good performance from Cory.
elmatto

Postby ElephantStone » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm a bit surprised to see so much negativity in regards to this update here, when this is pretty much the only thing that Awesome Japan have not completely fucked up in about 2 weeks now. When I saw this update I thought "oh wow, they're actually salvaging this."

I don't really agree with the "English dub is a waste of resources" argument. I don't like the English dub, and I will be playing it in Japanese with subtitles in 99% of my playthroughs if that's an option, but if that was the only way to play it, Shenmue III would flop ten times harder than the first 2. It's not for me, personally, but it'll make the game appeal to about a thousand times more people than a Japanese-only version, so it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

ElephantStone has received 2 thanks from: Ceej, NeoShredder
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby elmatto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:48 pm

ElephantStone wrote: I'm a bit surprised to see so much negativity in regards to this update here, when this is pretty much the only thing that Awesome Japan have not completely fucked up in about 2 weeks now. When I saw this update I thought "oh wow, they're actually salvaging this."

I don't really agree with the "English dub is a waste of resources" argument. I don't like the English dub, and I will be playing it in Japanese with subtitles in 99% of my playthroughs if that's an option, but if that was the only way to play it, Shenmue III would flop ten times harder than the first 2. It's not for me, personally, but it'll make the game appeal to about a thousand times more people than a Japanese-only version, so it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I'm actually really excited. My main concern is who are they going to get to direct the English actors. Is that some sony will help with?
elmatto

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah you absolutely need an English dub to reach the biggest audience possible and it's easily worth the cost (though I would do my first playthrough in Japanese if that's an option, unless the English VO is great). I'm also hoping Sony is involved in the casting/directing of the VO process, but who knows.

I think one of the reason's Ryo's performance seemed wooden is because of 1) Lack of direction and 2) It seems that a lot of his lines like "I see" "Yeah" "I'll try that", etc. were the same audio files that were re-used in multiple places where they didn't fit.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: Yeah you absolutely need an English dub to reach the biggest audience possible (though I would do my first playthrough in Japanese if that's an option, unless the English VO is great). I'm also hoping Sony is involved in the casting/directing of the VO process, but who knows.

I think one of the reason's Ryo's performance seemed wooden is because of 1) Lack of direction and 2) It seems that a lot of his lines like "I see" "Yeah" "I'll try that", etc. were the same audio files that were re-used in multiple places where they didn't fit.

Good point, audio economy was huge in Shenmue to save space on the GD-rom. About the lack of direction, it concerned only Shenmue 2 if I remember well, Yu was not called by Microsoft.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Jackie Fhan wrote: I feel getting a message seems really silly. What is the appeal of that exactly?

Maybe it if was in the game , ryo calls a certain number has your voice message and he leaves a special message for you in the game.. . That would be a little better

Yeah, I don't see the appeal either (specially since I live in a spanish talking country), but other KS had something like that and it's a nice plus to anyone that likes it.

Really looking forward at the new rewards, and it's cool that Corey is back.
Last edited by shredingskin on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 pm

ElephantStone wrote: I'm a bit surprised to see so much negativity in regards to this update here, when this is pretty much the only thing that Awesome Japan have not completely fucked up in about 2 weeks now. When I saw this update I thought "oh wow, they're actually salvaging this."

It's not really negativity. It's open criticism. Again, I'm happy it's happening because it means it'll more appealing to a wider number of people, but at the same time I wish that money was spent on getting the entire game voice acted, which it undoubtedly won't be now. So I'm mixed.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:09 pm

^We don't know if Sony will be footing that bill, though. Maybe that is what they will help with? The localization side of it, I mean.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:19 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^We don't know if Sony will be footing that bill, though. Maybe that is what they will help with? The localization side of it, I mean.

Sony's stake has been said to be only marketing, though. That is wishful thinking.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:20 pm

If this is the popular choice and the way to go, maybe Yu could drop the Japanese VO altogether (even though I hate the thought) in order to spare the budget for more fundamental aspects of the game. Dual language VO is really pushing it when we are not even sure we will be getting all those game elements from the stretch goals like magic maze, better battle system, character perspective system and village expansions.
Last edited by sand4fish on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Himuro wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: ^We don't know if Sony will be footing that bill, though. Maybe that is what they will help with? The localization side of it, I mean.

Sony's stake has been said to be only marketing, though. That is wishful thinking.

So who will be doing the localization, then? YSNet themselves? They can't speak English. 8-4? It's anybody's guess right now, hence why I am guessing Sony might be doing it.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:28 pm

An extra $500 above the next tier for a voice message is alot of money. If it was only $50 above a random tier I think you'd make more money then at $1000 simply because of how many people could actually afford to up their pledge.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III