Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

That's exactly the point - the people who already had S2 on DC - what did they get for waiting even longer and having the better hardware? Some signs were removed. yeah no biggie, but made me so angry, me and prolly most people would have expected IMPROVEMENTS, not making the game worse. As I said i don't find the voice acting THAT bad, but if you say fang Mei sounds like "An anime school girl" then you simply don't speak japanese at all and have prolly never been there.

Shenmue 2x is not crap - it is a SCAM for the dreamcast owners. Music and sound are only "fine" if you haven't played the DC version much. That they didn't improve the sound quality is already a joke when porting a game to a newer console. But that they also "mixed up" some music and had some instruments sound worse then the original is incredible. You'd think that at least for some key pieces they would add high quality samples, you'd think at least for some fighting sounds they'd make use of the dolby surround abilities.

Seriously - if you weren't disappointed by S2x as a DC S2 player then you'd prolly also not be disappointed if your x-mas present is just a kick in the ass instead of the PS4 you were hoping for.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 pm

I played the DC version before 2x and I wasn't disappointed. Didn't even notice the changes you're referring to, other than the shitty voice acting.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Fangmei is voiced by the same Japanese actress that voiced Pikachu. There is nothing generic about her.
Fangmei sounds cute and energetic, fits the character very well. But Fangmei's English voice is a good match too.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:18 pm

And, seriously, the English voice acting is only shitty for the non-essential NPCs. Same as it was for Shenmue 1.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: Esppiral
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:57 pm

lol no, Ren sounds like a pussy, I laughed my ass off the first time I heard him in English. Even Ryo sounds more bored than in S1. I'd also rather avoid a Fuku san that sounds like a clown, among other things. Ugh, what a shitty, terrible dub.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Three Blades wrote: lol no, Ren sounds like a pussy, I laughed my ass off the first time I heard him in English. Even Ryo sounds more bored than in S1. I'd also rather avoid a Fuku san that sounds like a clown, among other things. Ugh, what a shitty, terrible dub.

Ren sounds like a whiny smartass, which he is. The game will never be nominated for any awards, but I think the only reason that you think the Japanese VA is that much better is because you can't understand them. I don't think it's all that great either.

And I don't remember Fuku-san being in Shenmue 2.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:30 pm

It sounded great when I couldn't understand them, and still sounds great 14 years later now that I can, though that's irrelevant. English Ren is a huge pussy, and I was referring to Shenmue 1 when I mentioned Fukusan, obviously since he isn't in 2.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:32 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
Three Blades wrote: lol no, Ren sounds like a pussy, I laughed my ass off the first time I heard him in English. Even Ryo sounds more bored than in S1. I'd also rather avoid a Fuku san that sounds like a clown, among other things. Ugh, what a shitty, terrible dub.

Ren sounds like a whiny smartass, which he is. The game will never be nominated for any awards, but I think the only reason that you think the Japanese VA is that much better is because you can't understand them. I don't think it's all that great either.

And I don't remember Fuku-san being in Shenmue 2.

well you're wrong. the japanese va is really good with very good high calibre voice actors well known for other movies and projects. the american va is TERRIBLE. this has even been admitted by guys like jeremy blaustein who worked on the dub. it was terrible because yu suzuki didn't understand a single word of english and was the one responsible for hiring non actors for this only because they were either befriended with his cousin or because they were the only one willing to travel to japan to do the voices there

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: punkmanced
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 am

I know it's terrible overall, that is indisputable. But, so was Shenmue 1's.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am

yes and I don't think anyone denies that? I'm glad to now play shenmue 1 on dc with japanese voices and english subtitles

ahaha was laughing out loud when I read that about ren.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 am

The proof is in the NPCs; from there, you can see the calibre of VA.

Wang in SII DC vs. Wang in SIIX. Not even close.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby gabril » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:50 pm

I don't I have only the DC versions and I like them a lot but I would love to see how the II performance on Xbox
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby Marzy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Having played through both versions, I do think the DC version is better. My main problem was mainly the controller, over anything else though. I much prefer the Dreamcast controller over the huge original Xbox controller (I never had the S version).

I thought the game looked decent in general and it's cool how it had different filters you could choose from. The only problem I did have with the visuals is the overused motion blur in places. I can't really remember how the voice acting was, since it's been around 12 years since I last played the Xbox version, but I can't really remember thinking it was any worse than the first game.
Marzy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Grow Home

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:50 am

I hate the bloom and the oversaturated colors in SIIx

I used to use the "less color" filter and put the tint in the tv at full.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:14 pm

The best Shenmue 2 experience is to play it on Dc with a Crt tv and RGB cable, it has amazing vivid colors and hd like sharpness, you cant beat RGB on a old tv.
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue II