Kickstarter Redesigned!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Redesigned!

Postby James Brown » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Yea I think some of the images are from Shenmue online, like the top left one of the capsule toy machine, definately not in the first 2 games.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:53 pm

I might be really naive, but I think anyone who's interested enough to look at the page will do their own investigating if they find the Kickstarter information insufficient. After all, it is about to become the second most funded Kickstarter of all time. That's worth investigating. There has to be something there that's interesting us enough to boost the game so much.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:00 pm

Photoshopped Ryo and Shenhua and the PS4 physical copy reward pic
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:06 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I might be really naive, but I think anyone who's interested enough to look at the page will do their own investigating if they find the Kickstarter information insufficient. After all, it is about to become the second most funded Kickstarter of all time. That's worth investigating. There has to be something there that's interesting us enough to boost the game so much.

If they look at Youtube, they will probably think it's outdated, no more original, weak combat system, no fantasy, no transgression, an ordinary story of vengeance, no attractive visuals, etc...
Even if they investigate outside the kickstarter, It's pretty hard to know what exactly is Shenmue. Even most of the fans can't explain it convincingly.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Dragon St.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby LucBu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Some of the sentences hurt to read. Better than nothing, and I'm full of good feeling right now, but I want to do some editing.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Dragon St. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Dragon St. wrote: Surely, everyone is overjoyed by the announcement of the PS4 physical release and the pledges going up. But take a critical look, it's a sloppy piece of work really. Using low-res pictures (the picture of Wan Chai in particular is just awful) and the description looks like it was written by someone who didn't actually play the game, but instead searched for some keywords about the game on google and put it together. It should be replaced by the far better introduction that's on the official site.

http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html

Which features sloppy text like this:

To Bailu Village leads the killer&spos;s trail.
And there, a chance meeting with a young girl,
changes his destiny forever.

I think they can still update what they have just put on the Kickstarter page and will do, but at least they finally listened about making it more welcoming to newcomers to the series. Even if it is just barebones, at least it's there now, it was pretty terrible before with regards to that. I do hope they improve upon it a bit more though.

At least you get a background of the story on the official site, which really is a vital part of the Shenmue experience. As is the cinematography and the legendary soundtrack, which is not mentioned. The KS introduction gives the impression that the game is not much more than an open world filled with mini games (and the number of pictures of mini games add to that).
Dragon St.

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: I might be really naive, but I think anyone who's interested enough to look at the page will do their own investigating if they find the Kickstarter information insufficient. After all, it is about to become the second most funded Kickstarter of all time. That's worth investigating. There has to be something there that's interesting us enough to boost the game so much.

If they look at Youtube, they will probably think it's outdated, no more original, weak combat system, no fantasy, no transgression, an ordinary story of vengeance, no appalling visuals, etc...
Even if they investigate outside the kickstarter, It's pretty hard to know what exactly is Shenmue. Even most of the fans can't explain it convincingly.

I hear you, but I doubt this team can put something appropriate together at this point. They've supposedly made a new video, so we'll see if that solves any issues.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Dragon St. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

If they look at Youtube, they will probably think it's outdated, no more original, weak combat system, no fantasy, no transgression, an ordinary story of vengeance, no appalling visuals, etc...

You are right. And I think no one can explain it better than Yu Suzuki himself. He did a brilliant job explaining the grandness of what later became Shenmue in the Project Berkley video. We need something like that.
Dragon St.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:33 pm

So we are a little over half way through the kick starter and we are at 4 million... does logic tell us that the latter half may result in the same? hmmmm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:35 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: So we are a little over half way through the kick starter and we are at 4 million... does logic tell us that the latter half may result in the same? hmmmm

Only if the final two days can pull in another 2 mill.
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Ah, so the Wan Chai screenshot is from Shenmue Online, thanks guys. Anyway, great to see the huge Kickstarter spike today. :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Yokosuka wrote:If they look at Youtube, they will probably think it's outdated, no more original, weak combat system, no fantasy, no transgression, an ordinary story of vengeance, no appalling visuals, etc....

I disagree. The KS page makes the point that Shenmue, in 1999, was the revolutionary for its time and goes on to state Shenmue III improvements.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

At least, the 3 new illustrations are fine : exhaustive, feeling of richness, full of colors, characters put forward, exotic architecture, classy artworks. It's a good point.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Previous

Return to Shenmue III