A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

Postby Shenmuedoc » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:57 am

Wow, the feedback we have been getting for this trailer has been amazing. Glad you all enjoyed it :)

Please share as much as possible. We are hoping that this will get the attention of YS.net, Cedric, Awesome Japan, etc so that some more filming opportunities will hopefully open up in the near future.

I just wanted to clear up a few common questions that I've seen popping on in various place:

1) No solid release date yet. It's hard to say with these things. On the one hand it would be great to release simultaneously (give or take) with Shenmue 3, but interesting things may develop after the release of the game and we might want to include that in the film, so it could very well be after the release of the third game. Or it could be months before.

It most definitely will not come out before the end of the kickstarter campaign haha. I've had some people ask me that, and while agree it would help promote the campaign if it were to be released now, it just isn't feasibly possible for obvious reasons.

2) The documentary, as it stands, is still unofficial meaning it is not being funded by Sega or any other studio. Faux pop's involvement is from a creative standpoint, we are all just filmmakers and fans of pop culture who want to make an awesome 'Definitive' documentary that we are proud of. We hope that the people involved in the franchise see the value in what we are doing. If we can share this trailer hopefully it will stir up interest in those circles.

Again, thank you guys for all the support thus far!

If you want to get a sense of what the final film will look like I suggest checking out Turtle power: The Definitive history of the Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles. Also, the trailer for the other Definitive film currently being produced can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXZGNh5luA

Shenmuedoc has received 4 thanks from: Dragon St., Giorgio, Henry Spencer, Peter
Shenmuedoc
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby rome » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:56 pm

A ton of people being interviewed for this :shock: Amazing teaser, well put together.

Peter wrote:If that doesn't get you pumped for Shenmue nothing will.

This no doubt.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby rdk_nl » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: Wow! This was so damn good! We need Awesome Japan to add this to the Kickstarter page

Awesome Japan is already involved with this video. Joel Tess lend out his shirt! Check video @ ~0.24.

rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Dragon St. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Nothing short of amazing, I agree that it definitely should be featured on the KS page.

Dragon St. has received a thanks from: rdk_nl
Dragon St.

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:12 pm

this video hit me right in the feels... so much.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Shenmuedoc wrote: Wow, the feedback we have been getting for this trailer has been amazing. Glad you all enjoyed it :)

Please share as much as possible. We are hoping that this will get the attention of YS.net, Cedric, Awesome Japan, etc so that some more filming opportunities will hopefully open up in the near future.

I just wanted to clear up a few common questions that I've seen popping on in various place:

1) No solid release date yet. It's hard to say with these things. On the one hand it would be great to release simultaneously (give or take) with Shenmue 3, but interesting things may develop after the release of the game and we might want to include that in the film, so it could very well be after the release of the third game. Or it could be months before.

It most definitely will not come out before the end of the kickstarter campaign haha. I've had some people ask me that, and while agree it would help promote the campaign if it were to be released now, it just isn't feasibly possible for obvious reasons.

2) The documentary, as it stands, is still unofficial meaning it is not being funded by Sega or any other studio. Faux pop's involvement is from a creative standpoint, we are all just filmmakers and fans of pop culture who want to make an awesome 'Definitive' documentary that we are proud of. We hope that the people involved in the franchise see the value in what we are doing. If we can share this trailer hopefully it will stir up interest in those circles.

Again, thank you guys for all the support thus far!

If you want to get a sense of what the final film will look like I suggest checking out Turtle power: The Definitive history of the Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles. Also, the trailer for the other Definitive film currently being produced can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQXZGNh5luA

This is seriously professional and well made by the looks of the YouTube teaser. Goes to show just how passionate and dedicated Shenmue fans really are. Props to you and the other people involved for doing this. :nice!:
Look forward to the finished product.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Yama » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:This is seriously professional and well made by the looks of the YouTube teaser. Goes to show just how passionate and dedicated Shenmue fans really are. Props to you and the other people involved for doing this. :nice!:
Look forward to the finished product.

It seriously is and just to know it was in the works long before the announcement makes it extra special, to me at least. Support is support, but to know it was done even when there was little hope shows true passion. I have extra respect for all of the community who never gave up, I really do. We made this possible. No better ending for this documentary.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:02 pm

This is majestic. Thank you for making this, Adam Sipione and everyone involved.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby strider16 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh my! This is a real documentary? It seems great!
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby mindcrime » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Watching that trailer made me very emotional. Awesome stuff! =D>
mindcrime
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk