Another 64 x $1,500 "I AM SHENMUE" pledges available!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Another 64 x $1,500 "I AM SHENMUE" pledges available!

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:32 am

I like you guys but you are aguing arbituary numbers, I mean honestly.

the number was alredy 64, so if it had went from 32 to 64 you would feel the same way? your creating an emotion frm something when you probably shouldn't be. You were fine at 64, but not 128? I don't think it matters, 64 is a decent number. It's still a bit arbitrary though.

I've said how silly the price and idea is behind the board games are and I d believe the photo thing is silly and not something I personally want.

All in all, I think everyone should go for what they want and here is nothing wrong with that as money is expendable to me. (in some ways)

However; it isn't right to say the are taking advantage of the fan base. That is way too subjective and in may ways that can be weighted to fit many different scenarios of the KS anyways.

I'd rather we keep those negative ideas out of the picture because in the end we now they want to add more to the game and hire more talent the best way they can.

You should always go for what you want though, I just think you shouldn't feel too bummed out about the increase, your creating that as a problem through psychology more than anything. You were ok with 64, you wouldn't have been if I started out at 32 though.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Phong » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:36 am

I believe their primary reason for raising the number is that people in other time zones didn't have a chance to even see the reward before it filled up. That's a fine reason because wow it filled up in something like four hours. However I noticed that there are a total of 3 backers for the Lucky Hit award now. So this could also be their way of saying, "if you want a bigger picture, buy a Lucky Hit board."
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 am

Phong wrote: I believe their primary reason for raising the number is that people in other time zones didn't have a chance to even see the reward before it filled up. That's a fine reason because wow it filled up in something like four hours. However I noticed that there are a total of 3 backers for the Lucky Hit award now. So this could also be their way of saying, "if you want a bigger picture, buy a Lucky Hit board."

Well, that's just a guess. I doubt that is the reason, the likely reason is that it sold better than they thought and they need more money to make the game. Either way. I'm vey happy for it. Hope to see more soon. =D>
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby kanso » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:51 am

Jackie Fhan wrote:
Phong wrote: I believe their primary reason for raising the number is that people in other time zones didn't have a chance to even see the reward before it filled up. That's a fine reason because wow it filled up in something like four hours. However I noticed that there are a total of 3 backers for the Lucky Hit award now. So this could also be their way of saying, "if you want a bigger picture, buy a Lucky Hit board."

Well, that's just a guess. I doubt that is the reason, the likely reason is that it sold better than they thought and they need more money to make the game. Either way. I'm vey happy for it. Hope to see more soon. =D>

I do not believe that is a guess. Phong may be referencing Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Update #25.
kanso
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Destiny

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:55 am

It's an extremely cheap reward to produce (honestly, it costs nothing) and the demand is there. It makes sense. They're going to net nearly $200K off putting people's pictures in a game.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:20 am

If it were me, I would have changed it slightly that it would have just been a hotel guest book, with a picture, the persons name, and also a comments box.

That way you could pack how many people you wanted in there, and have a page reference of all the guests, say, in alphabetical order for ease of reference.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jackie Fhan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am

kanso wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

I do not believe that is a guess. Phong may be referencing Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Update #25.

Well, I still think money is the true answer lol

What could they do similar to this, a little better and stacked at 2500?
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Drakul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Peter wrote: If it were me, I would have changed it slightly that it would have just been a hotel guest book, with a picture, the persons name, and also a comments box.

That way you could pack how many people you wanted in there, and have a page reference of all the guests, say, in alphabetical order for ease of reference.

I think that's a fantastic idea. You should forward it to YSnet because it may give Yu the idea.

Honestly my feeling is why wouldn't they?? We keep complaining that they weren't handling the kickstarter right, that they're not raising enough money and not making smart decisions; and then they add a pledge that sells out in 24h and decide to add more to it and we complain again....
It's smart business and I'm sure they can find a way to put 60 more pictures in the station, put them in the stalls for all I care :rotflmao:

Drakul has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Drakul

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:55 pm

I've seen a troubling amount of people whining about Yu Suzuki's suggestion that Ryo might be able to jump. Let's wait and see how the game looks before we fret about some of these things. I'm personally thrilled they're able to raise a huge amount of money off something so trivial.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby James Brown » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm

If the lucky hit boards all sell they'll be an extra 15 I Am Shenmue 3's aswell bringing the total up to 143. I'm a little bit disheartened by it aswell, I agree a bit with Rig, but at the end of the day, I just want the project to get as much funding as possible to make the actual game the best it can be. I'll check to find my photo obviously, and show friends and family, but then after that I just want the game to be as kick ass as it can be!

James Brown has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Think I'll buy one.
<-----May as well put my beautiful mug everywhere all over Shenmue.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ash55 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:46 pm

I think it's reasonable to be upset that they are "diluting" the reward.

If you feel it's diluted too much, or you feel like the rug has been pulled from under you, then I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping their pledge as a result. That's not much consolation though... :/

With all that said... It sounds harsh, but if you do drop the pledge, I imagine the spot will be snapped up pretty quickly by someone who disagrees with your value assessment. At the end of the day, if it helps raise more funding for the game, it can only be a good thing ultimately.

I think it might have made more sense if they added a tier above and below.

$750 tier could offer your portrait on the harbour in either a New Game+ mode or a higher difficulty mode etc. For those who want their mug in the game in some form, no matter the caveat, but don't have as much cash. They could make this tier unlimited also and lower the price if necessary by making each portrait draw randomly from a pool of $750+ backer photos upon the start of the game.

While a $1750 tier ensures your photo appears no matter the game/difficulty mode? For those who don't mind paying an extra $250 to ensure they get priority for themselves.
Last edited by ash55 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ash55

PSN: TFMash55
XBL: ash55
Steam: ash55

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Peter wrote: If it were me, I would have changed it slightly that it would have just been a hotel guest book, with a picture, the persons name, and also a comments box.

Isn't that essentially what the boat register part is? The photos on the wall are just a bonus.

"Your name will appear on the guest register at a Choubu inn."
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Aaron_H » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:42 pm

It's a dangerous game they're playing by repeating these rewards. I can't afford that kind of backing, but I can understand why people might feel like their reward is being cheapened. It's kind of bad practice to offer something as a limited number (and people pledge on the basis of that number) - and then they move the goalposts.. I guess they're "allowed" to get away with it because people have the option of backing out if it idea doesn't appeal to them though. It would be a whole other story if that weren't the case.

Still, I would imagine that most people are pledging for that reward, not because they want to be 1/64 special backers, but because they want to have some way of immortalising themselves in the game and are doing it really to show their support for the game than anything else. It's not like Yu et al are doing this to make a quick profit.

jmo.
Aaron_H

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Wow. I understand what some are saying and why they would feel that way, and I can respect it. But personally? If I had that much money to spend, I'd just be honored to be immortalized in any form in a game that means this much to me. I wouldn't be worrying about whether other people could make out my face or how prominent my position in the game was. Just knowing I was part of the game - my name, my face - would be a tremendous honor and something I would cherish forever. Hell, I already feel that way even just about having my name in the credits.

If it helps you guys at all: I promise when I have the game in-hand and see your names and faces, I will carefully reflect on each one, even if it takes hours, and say, "These people helped make this dream come true, and I'm so grateful. Thank-you." So you'll definitely get noticed. At least by one person. Does that help?

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Amir
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III