Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

myshtuff wrote: Thank god no more shooting segments. Those were awful.

But there weren't any "shooting segments"...
There was the option to shoot, but it wasn't necessary. I did a full playthrough without firing a shot (one of the more memorable of my accomplishments with anything last-gen; challenging, but hella fun).
I'm not sure I like that it's been removed, actually, regardless of whether it wasn't initially well-implemented or if I'd rather go hand-to-hand. I like options, and they basically just whittled some of those away. Not even sure I like the "keep moving to be invulnerable" idea.
It all sounds really cheap and unrealistic. Not that realism is my biggest concern with this or anything, but further pulling away the grounding that the first hand isn't really my favorite idea in the world.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Thats fair. I think more melee options would be better I guess.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:34 pm

OL wrote:
myshtuff wrote: Thank god no more shooting segments. Those were awful.

But there weren't any "shooting segments"...
There was the option to shoot, but it wasn't necessary. I did a full playthrough without firing a shot (one of the more memorable of my accomplishments with anything last-gen; challenging, but hella fun).
I'm not sure I like that it's been removed, actually, regardless of whether it wasn't initially well-implemented or if I'd rather go hand-to-hand. I like options, and they basically just whittled some of those away. Not even sure I like the "keep moving to be invulnerable" idea.
It all sounds really cheap and unrealistic. Not that realism is my biggest concern with this or anything, but further pulling away the grounding that the first hand isn't really my favorite idea in the world.

It seems like they're making it more accessible by reducing the challenge. I doubt this will be an improvement in any case.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:14 am

I just played the pre-alpha today.

It plays just like the original but with some obvious tweaks. Like for instance, Faith can quickly climb on pipes now and the rolling feels like it has more impact when you jump from a high area.

I played it in two parts, the "story" mode and the open ended world. The story seems like it'll be much better than the original, but on its own still feels a bit flat. This time they touted a larger open ended world, and from what I played in the second part...it definitely doesn't feel linear. It's not open ended like GTA, it's more like the first Assassin's Creed where you run around marking your destination on a map and choose your quests.

I wanna play it again tomorrow just to be sure, but the combat feels...off. It feels easier to execute moves this time around, and the fighting is more intricate as well, but the fluidity from the original is lost. It felt like a ballet of moves stringing together as you keep pressing the trigger whereas here it's just...two presses and she basically does the rest. There's a cool option to land on your opponent and knock them out instantly if they're low tier enemies.

Overall, very much looking forward to the final game. It comes out Feb. 23rd 2016.

Kenny has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks for the insight, Kenny!

I absolutely love mirror's edge, one of my favourite (if not best) games to come from last gen. What's a little bizarre is that I couldn't appreciate it as much at launch (plus it gave me motion sickness on a standard sdtv screen back then!) and it was only within the past year that I went back to it and absolutely loved it!

I am sooo jazzed about this prequel and it coming out so soon!

I've got to get around deciding what next gen system to buy to play these games on, I've been on the xbox ecosystem since shenmue 2 but this gen I'm actually considering going the ps4 route but I don't know if I have the balls to switch, hmmmmmm...

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kenny
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 pm

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm

Certainly happier about things after that. The gameplay looks great, and I have to say that it's pretty effing impressive that that's apparently in an open-world.

All the same, still a bit miffed that there's no gunplay anymore (I just don't see the reason for removing it), and the art style certainly doesn't quite have the nigh-minimalist beauty of the original (it's just too complex and detailed). And it might be a cheap thing to harp on about, but I hate that they've made Faith "prettier." I can't recall if I've mentioned it already (pardon me if I have), but one of the things that made her so striking and refreshing in the original was that, sure, she was pretty, but she wasn't a model by any stretch. She had the sharper, slightly more angular features of a more (excuse the term) "average" Asian woman. She looked closer to a "normal" person, and really wasn't sexualized in the least. Not that the new one is particularly "sexualized" (I'm sure they still sidestep anything like that in the story), but she's obviously prettier, in a way that will appeal more to the mainstream. She actually does look like a model here.

Either way, the gameplay looks great, which is what this was really showing us. Day one, without a doubt, but I'm still holding on to my reservations.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:28 pm

As there's really nothing else on the PS4 right now (how long has this thing been out? Nearly two years?) I'll definitely get it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:46 pm

So excited for this! Has anyone played dying light? Is the parkour similar/as fun?
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Years ago, we set out an ambitious vision for Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst. Achieving that vision and delivering the best possible experience is equally inspiring and challenging. And it takes time. We set out to create a vast city to explore, full of stunning vistas, majestic skyscrapers, and mysterious tunnels. We’re building the most immersive action-adventure game with fluid movement and combat in first person. Mirror’s Edge Catalyst will be an all-new playground with a deeper and more engaging story - and we want to accomplish all these goals to the highest quality possible.

So we’ve made the decision to bring Mirror’s Edge to the world starting May 24, 2016. We will use these few extra months to make sure that when you step into the massive City of Glass and experience the rise of Faith, it’s as entertaining, impressive, and memorable as it can be.

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst has received an incredible response from fans around the world over the past months. You’ve been eager to see the return of Faith and the unique style and gameplay that only Mirror’s Edge can create. Witnessing your positive reactions has been amazing motivation for me and the rest of our passionate team at DICE.
Thank you again for your patience and support. Keep the Faith.

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 am

Oh so it's open-world? That's interesting.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:52 am

After announcing their delay from February to May + having quite a hiatus, they're finally going to release another trailer today, probably with it the announcement of multiplayer details, gonna to be great! #hype!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Oh my words, this trailer is awesome!

https://youtu.be/QpjQ4R3pH5s

Still, no MP details other than a closed beta announcement. You can't have everything... :-)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:03 am

Don't like how the story is put forward in the trailer whilst it was perfectly minimalist in the first game. Then it's still unclear whether it's a prequel or a reboot. That would be kind of disappointment if the original Faith's story and her relationship with her sister have to be thrown in the bin. Hyped by everything else.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:29 am

The story of the first one was probably the worst part, but I think they said it was a prequel and not a reboot.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming