#SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

#SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon

Postby Team Yu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:18 pm

On August 3rd the first #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon takes place, evolving from the #SaveShenmue campaign that culminated with the recent Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

Focusing on the need expressed by both Yu Suzuki and the fans for Sega to re-release Shenmue 1 & 2 ahead of Shenmue 3's launch, the Tweetathon lasts all day on the 3rd of each month using the new hashtag, and includes a mass simultaneous AutoTweet of messages stored in advance at TeamYu.net/HD, where you can learn more about the campaign.

Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Re: #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon

Postby Tony_Clifton » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Nice campaign.
But just a thought...

It might meet with more success if It didn't come across as condescending so much. I mean, assuming that anyone at Sega will actually read this, one has to try and see things from their perspective.
Aside from the whole not being in Japanese issue, the tone of the article seems to have an air of superiority and criticality directed at Sega, which, especially considering this is targeted at executives (or their assistants) at a Japanese corporation, is highly unlikely to engender any positive response.

I'm not trying to hate on this, really I support the effort and what Team Yu is (and have been) doing. I really want Sega to, if not do it themselves, at least outsource a port or HD remake of Shenmue I &II. To that end I think this campaign is a great idea, but needs a little constructive tweaking in places because, realistically as it is right now it's shooting itself in the foot and more likely to be met with a negative reaction if anyone at Sega ends up reading it.
Which, in turn, will only re-enforce the standing intransigence and dim view concerning doing anything related to Shenmue that's been the MO at Sega for over a decade.

Again, just my humble opinion/constructive criticism; take or leave it. I just want this campaign and end goal of getting Sega to consider and approve of re-releasing or remastering Shenmue I/II to have as much chance for success as possible. I'm not implying that Sega doesn't deserve any criticism (intended or not) or isn't largely at fault for their handling of Shenmue or neglecting their fan base and more over the years. Just that, reminding anyone there about it/beating them over the head with it may not be the most effective strategy if we want them to listen and act in a way that makes sense to us. Keep in mind they've rarely done that at all in nearly 20 years; and from the view of those inside Sega things likely look vastly different compared to looking at Sega from the outside.
So, again I'd humbly submit to Team Yu that perhaps looking into a couple small changes in wording and tone of the letter, along with perhaps a (non-Google Translated) Japanese version (we want people at Sega to actually Read this) would really go a long way toward making this campaign effective and eventually enabling a Shenmue I/II HD release.
If nobody at Team Yu is proficient in Japanese, especially Business Japanese, I'd imagine there are members in this awesome community that can lend a hand. I'm one though certainly not the best.

Thanks and Good luck! T

Tony_Clifton has received 4 thanks from: fittersau, Giorgio, Team Yu, Yokosuka
Tony_Clifton
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Half-Life 2: Episode 1

Postby Team Yu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks Tony, it's a perfectly valid point and one that we deliberated over when writing that open letter.

Like any open letter though, the target audience isn't so much the addressee, but more the public. We don't expect anybody of any consequence at Sega to read those words. If we thought it was worth contacting them directly then we would, and we'd do it in Japanese (with help, certainly!). But the intent of that page is to light a fire under fans and motivate them into action, which is all Team Yu has ever done. We're the world's worst dressed cheerleaders for the community at large.

It's very likely to be something we tweak and adjust as time goes by however, so please do keep the feedback coming.

Team Yu has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Tony_Clifton
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 am

Custom auto-tweet message created and saved.

Going to do this as well as #30onthe3rd every month (once PayPal goes up.) No stopping until we achieve ALL our goals! :)
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby fittersau » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 am

Team Yu wrote: Thanks Tony, it's a perfectly valid point and one that we deliberated over when writing that open letter.

Like any open letter though, the target audience isn't so much the addressee, but more the public. We don't expect anybody of any consequence at Sega to read those words. If we thought it was worth contacting them directly then we would, and we'd do it in Japanese (with help, certainly!). But the intent of that page is to light a fire under fans and motivate them into action, which is all Team Yu has ever done. We're the world's worst dressed cheerleaders for the community at large.

It's very likely to be something we tweak and adjust as time goes by however, so please do keep the feedback coming.

I can only echo Tony's feedback.

By actually giving the rights to Ys Net for Shenmue 3, SEGA are showning they are willing to listen and cooperate for the fans. I feel the tone of the request is quite demanding perhaps unduly so since I believe their sentiment is changing. Satomi himself has been quoted to profess this. Let's look at the recent licenses changes: Datadiscs - Shenmue soundtrack on LP - unheard of, Shenmue ring tones on iTunes, and of course Shenmue 3. (As an aside Phantasy Star Online western release was also announced)

With the roaring success of the #SaveShenmue "3" campaign it's hard to deny the fan's desire for more Shenmue products. Shenmue 3 is obviously the biggest feather our collective hats, but let's not let not get ahead of ourselves, as if we can sit on a high throne and dictate what SEGA should or should not do. Sure we fans have been denied Shenmue 2's sequel for 14 years, but thanks to the fans campaigning, especially thanks to sites like ShenmueDojo & TeamYu over these years we have Shenmue 3 now. It would be foolish of SEGA not to consider offering for sale Shenmue 1 & 2 on today's platforms. But looking at the numbers properly, there were under 70,000 backers for Shenmue 3. Who knows also what the real number of real individual backers due to multiple pledges by fans including myself. If we take 10% of fans were hard core enough to do multiple account backings we're looking at 63,000 backers.

So, they're currently looking at 63,000 possible sales. That's not a whole lot for Shenmue 1 & 2 HD. Even if they sold Shenmue HD 1 & 2 combined for $60 a pop, that will be a gross of $3,780,000. Depending on outsourcing HD ports, they could make some money off it. Possibly if Kickstarted, fans could shell out for that again, but judging from the comments around my local area of the internet (AU) people are already flushed out of cash from Shenmue 3 especially since the USD has picked up in strength.

It's a tricky proposition, not one guaranteed to make Sega profit, therefore a cautious approach by SEGA. They don't want to give fans false hope, nor do they want to lose money. Money talks, but how much of the $3.7 million could be profit for SEGA to make it worth their time? Furthermore, Shenmue 1 & 2 are already playable to an extent on PC in HD freely.

Rather than a combative, provocative campaign for Shenmue 1 & 2 HD (or even better a Remaster), we can ask them based on theirs and our mutual good will on Shenmue 3 to seriously consider Shenmue 1 & 2 for the fans. The air has changed, maybe we should change too. I do hope you will consider rewriting the tone to be more supportive and acknowledging SEGA's recent efforts and you know what, we could work with SEGA to get the word out. You know we are the best cheer squad for it. 8)
Last edited by fittersau on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Team Yu » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks fittersau. If it's causing a great amount of concern then we will of course change it up. Currently it's doing well in terms of retweets, including by Cedric Biscay, but we'll see about making some adjustments in time for the Tweetathon itself.
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:55 am

fittersau wrote:[...]It would be foolish of SEGA not to consider offering for sale Shenmue 1 & 2 on today's platforms. But looking at the numbers properly, there were under 70,000 backers for Shenmue 3. Who knows also what the real number of real individual backers due to multiple pledges by fans including myself. If we take 10% of fans were hard core enough to do multiple account backings we're looking at 63,000 backers.

So, they're currently looking at 63,000 possible sales. [...]

If they are looking at a number like that, and following a logic like that, then SAMMY's suits are the worst business minds the world has yet to know. But I would not be surprised if they follow it, because back then on Twitter, a PR of them mentioned a petition for Shenmue 3 with 69,000+ signs, as a point of reference for them to think about Shenmue 3's chances... I can understand the sentiments of SAMMY's fans for all the past memories with SEGA, but by not mentioning/criticizing their mistakes and their many times unreasonable thinking, is that a compromise that will help Shenmue 1 & 2 HD chances for the better?

I think criticizing or not, not a suit's ear is going to get wet; they have their own thinking barriers and for them fans' voices is more a nuisance than a useful feedback. CEO's of SEGA of Japan have lately start admitting that they screwed up the past decade with their loyal fans, however this is only words at the moment and their praxis remain to be seen.

Shenmue 3's Kickstarter had more backers than the ones of Kickstarter campaigns of e.g. either Bloostained: Ritual of the Night or Mighty No. 9. Considering Shenmue 3 is going to be released on two platforms and the other mentioned games on multiple platforms, that's a very high number of backers.

The point is: the number of backers is not representative of the number of end copy owners after the release, for any of these games. - There are many other factors that add to the end result of of the number of end copy owners, most considerably including marketing (and thankfully for Shenmue 3, SONY PlayStation seems strong on this part).

Interestingly, titles of the interactive storytelling genre are becoming hits nowadays; exempli gratia Beyond: Two Souls and Life Is Strange, are both million sellers (and verily they offer less game-playing compared to Shenmue's).

P.S. #1: I do not talk as a representative of Team Yu in this post. Conclusions and opinions/views are my own. No offence on the person was intended.

P.S. #2:
fittersau wrote:(As an aside Phantasy Star Online western release was also announced)
That didn't really happen: "Phantasy Star Online 2 IP Block Returns, Westerners No Longer Welcomed"
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm

bump

don't forget about about this tweetathon tomorrow people.

if you want want Team Yu to autotweet on your behalf then you'll need to 'sign in with twitter' at the bottom of page of the following link.

http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III?action=saveshenmuehd

if you haven't done so already you'll need to activate your autotweet.

then go back to the above link and at the bottom of the page there should be a text box that says;
'I hope SEGA releases Shenmue 1 & 2 on modern systems before Shenmue 3 comes out.'

you can edit the tweet if you like. then you just need to click 'save' which is right next to it. And thats it!

johnvivant has received 3 thanks from: Dragon St., Giorgio, Yokosuka
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Was just coming here to bump this but I see johnvivant beat me to it. Do everything they say above ^
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Yama » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:26 am

Yeah, double bump. Beyond important. Let's do this guys!

Yama has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:54 am

Just tweeted! Will continue doing so for the rest of the day.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Team Yu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:30 pm

The first ever #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon is in the books, and with great relief we can say it looked a lot like every previous incarnation of the event.

We'll admit it, we were concerned - we didn't know how well the new hashtag would take hold, or how many people still had the spirit to fight on when the main battle was won. But as you always do, you proved the doubters wrong. Word spread with ease and August 3rd was awash with demand to re-release the games that started it all.

We can't begin to say how proud we are of the Shenmue fanbase for its commitment to see this through until every last wrong has been righted, every loose thread sewn up. How easy it would be to sit back and relax now that Shenmue III has been confirmed. To let others worry about restoring the original games for new fans. We're alright, Jack - we've already played them.

But a new generation awaits, who have yet to experience the magic of Shenmue 1 & 2 that has captivated and enchanted so many fans at such a deep, unshakeable level that even fourteen years later, Shenmue was able to be saved.

And if those of us who understand the importance of these unique titles don't do everything in our power to make them accessible to new players, then who will?

Shenmue III was made possible by a groundswell of public support, and with your continued help, the same irresistable force will find a crack in the immovable object known as Sega. Shenmue will be reborn on modern platforms and a new audience will discover what we've all known for a decade and a half.

That the story NEEDED to go on.

Thank you so much for your participation and we look forward to seeing you out there again on September 3rd, securing Shenmue's future by sharing and celebrating its past.

TeamYu.net/HD

Team Yu has received 5 thanks from: Amir, fittersau, Giorgio, johnvivant, Sonoshee
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 pm

N00b question and I'm going to assume in the affirmative, but are tweets for the purposes of this campaign case-sensitive? i.e. #saveshenmueHD vs #SaveShenmueHD?
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:57 pm

NeoShredder wrote: N00b question and I'm going to assume in the affirmative, but are tweets for the purposes of this campaign case-sensitive? i.e. #saveshenmueHD vs #SaveShenmueHD?

Hashtags on Twitter are not case-sensitive.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:10 pm

This months #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon is upon us! Let's tweet tweet tweet!

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to News and Updates