Ren never says Ryo's name in English?

(Chapters 3-6)

Ren never says Ryo's name in English?

Postby Etno » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

I think so anyway. I'm not totally sure. But playing through II again and rewatching the scenes, I don't recall Ren ever saying Ryo's name in the English version. In fact, when compared to the Japanese version with subtitles, it's changed so he doesn't have to say it. I don't know, I just found this interesting (and personally, mildly irritating.) Though Ryo says Ren's name like every three seconds lmao.

Thoughts on why? o: Or any way to prove me wrong? :-k
Etno
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: MadamEtro
XBL: MadamEtro
Nintendo FC: LiGHTLY
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Ren never says Ryo's name in English?

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 am

No idea why. He doesn't actually ever call him Ryo.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Etno » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:26 am

Shibiryo wrote:No idea why. He doesn't actually ever call him Ryo.

I find it irritating, for some reason. It bothers me most that he does say it in Japanese, but not English. Maybe Eric Kelso couldn't pronounce "Ryo"? (...Did he even say it as Gui Zhang??)
Etno
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: MadamEtro
XBL: MadamEtro
Nintendo FC: LiGHTLY

Postby Bambi » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:03 am

Etno wrote:

I find it irritating, for some reason. It bothers me most that he does say it in Japanese, but not English. Maybe Eric Kelso couldn't pronounce "Ryo"? (...Did he even say it as Gui Zhang??)

Haha, Guizhang calls him Hazuki in English. :lol:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:23 am

can't say i noticed, on account of the formal version, the neutral way.
it's like school or work, or dealing with folks irl. friends call by the first name, strangers and mere associates earn the right first and are relegated to formalities.
seems like the human element has been emulated well in the game. 8)
ryo's last name is hazuki. :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:25 pm

When did Ren call his name in the jap version ? I can't remember at all.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Yokosuka wrote: When did Ren call his name in the jap version ? I can't remember at all.

When Ryo and Ren return to the hideout after escaping the Dancing Dragon Building and Wong arrives to pick the lock, Ren says "Never mind Ryo, just do your job" or something to that effect. So he Ren does say 'Ryo' at least once.

So, they change that line in the English version? That is really bizarre.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Bambi wrote:
Etno wrote:

Haha, Guizhang calls him Hazuki in English. :lol:

But we hear "RYO-SAN!" many times from Fuku-san.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Bambi
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:18 pm

"Muscle Head" is better anyway, pretty much sums him up :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:01 am

Lan Di-sama wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: When did Ren call his name in the jap version ? I can't remember at all.

When Ryo and Ren return to the hideout after escaping the Dancing Dragon Building and Wong arrives to pick the lock, Ren says "Never mind Ryo, just do your job" or something to that effect. So he Ren does say 'Ryo' at least once.

So, they change that line in the English version? That is really bizarre.

I think it's only in the subtitles that Ren 'says' it though. If you listen to the Japanese dialogue, he doesn't seem to be saying Ryo's name at all. And indeed in the Xbox version it's dubbed as 'Never mind about him'. I could be hearing wrong, but it honestly doesn't sound like the JP voice actor actually says 'Ryo'. It fits Ren's character better to not call Ryo by name anyway, IMO. :P

There's a similar thing with Wong's dialogue too, the subtitles claim he's saying 'Ryo' but he actually says 'Onii-chan', which is a Japanese term roughly translating as 'older brother', obviously not literally in this case but it's often used by younger people to address their elders, I believe.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Kiyuu » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:49 am

Miles Prower wrote: I think it's only in the subtitles that Ren 'says' it though. If you listen to the Japanese dialogue, he doesn't seem to be saying Ryo's name at all. And indeed in the Xbox version it's dubbed as 'Never mind about him'. I could be hearing wrong, but it honestly doesn't sound like the JP voice actor actually says 'Ryo'. It fits Ren's character better to not call Ryo by name anyway, IMO. :P

There's a similar thing with Wong's dialogue too, the subtitles claim he's saying 'Ryo' but he actually says 'Onii-chan', which is a Japanese term roughly translating as 'older brother', obviously not literally in this case but it's often used by younger people to address their elders, I believe.

That's right. I don't remember Ren calls Ryo by name in Japanese; "teme'e (てめえ)" or "ome'e (おめえ)" instead. English equivalents are "you bastard" or "you punk," maybe?

This kind of alteration happens a lot in Shenmue. In Japanese version, Ryo never calls Nozomi by her first name, but by her family name, Harasaki. And, it's quite natural for a boy like Ryo to do so in Japan. Cultural difference, I suppose.

For your information, we usually don't call older siblings by their name, "onii-chan(big bro)," or "one'e-chan (big sis)" instead.
Last edited by Kiyuu on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:56 am

Kiyuu wrote:
Miles Prower wrote: I think it's only in the subtitles that Ren 'says' it though. If you listen to the Japanese dialogue, he doesn't seem to be saying Ryo's name at all. And indeed in the Xbox version it's dubbed as 'Never mind about him'. I could be hearing wrong, but it honestly doesn't sound like the JP voice actor actually says 'Ryo'. It fits Ren's character better to not call Ryo by name anyway, IMO. :P

That's right. I don't remember Ren calls Ryo by name in Japanese; "teme'e (てめえ)" or "ome'e (おめえ)" instead. English equivalents are "you bastard" or "you punk," maybe?

This kind of alteration happens a lot in Shenmue. In Japanese version, Ryo never calls Nozomi by her first name, but by her family name, Harasaki. And, it's quite natural for a boy like Ryo to do so in Japan. Cultural difference, I suppose.

Yea, if he doesn't have romantic feelings for her.

See all you Nozomi supporters, more proof that Ryo doesn't have such feelings for Nozomi, she is not, nor has ever been a love interest.

To topic: yea I don't recall Ren calling Ryo by name, ever.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 pm

It's a conscious choice in the script, they have a frenemy vibe even after they've become friends.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Kiyuu wrote:That's right. I don't remember Ren calls Ryo by name in Japanese; "teme'e (てめえ)" or "ome'e (おめえ)" instead. English equivalents are "you bastard" or "you punk," maybe?

For your information, we usually don't call older siblings by their name, "onii-chan(big bro)," or "one'e-chan (big sis)" instead.

So Ren also does not call him Hazuki in the Japanese dub?

About the onii-chan thing... I hate Wong's voice so much when he says it. I was actually hoping for Dou Niu to throw him off the roof for that when I first played the boss fight. :lol:
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue II