Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

Postby Sonikku » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:21 pm

blacktorn wrote:
Giorgio wrote: I remember the old days (prior to the actual Shenmue 3 announcement) when many Shenmue fans were saying that they will even sell their kidneys, or if they win the lottery they will donate all those money, in case Shenmue 3 ever gets a crowdfunding campaign... Ah, those were the good days, haha. :P

Now many of them howl with ethics/morality concern trolling, just because Ys Net Inc. decided to give another chance to pledge, for many fans who could not back Shenmue 3's Kickstarter. Drama, cynicism et cetera, are like a pandemia nowadays in the social media.

...What so your condoning fans selling their kidneys now???....wow

Why not? We don't need a second kidney. We do need Shenmue. [-o<

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby renofheavens » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:03 am

I wait till they add a physical PC copy. I just hope they're not gonna pull some MGS V stunt, just putting a steam installer on the disc.
renofheavens
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Otogi

Postby blacktorn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I don't see it as that big of an issue, tbh. I didn't max out my credit card, but I gave what I was willing to give and what I could afford. Now that might be $100 for one person and $10,000 for another. As long as you are able to repay the spendings on your credit card, I guess it's fine.

I had made plans to buy a new phone in September which is not gonna happen now because of Shenmue 3 and I'll have to put off my new phone plans for the time being. But that's fine with me. It was worth it to me. So if others want to max out their credit cards or bank accounts I don't think it's "stupid" to do so. It's their own money and it's not an emotional decision imho. Those people had an entire month to think their Kickstarter contribution over and could have bailed out at any time.

Also, I do agree with you on the fact that it's "sad", Yu has to ask the fans for money to fund S3, but "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Shenmue 3 has been put on halt for 14 years, Sega don't want to finance it which is understandable. Now Yu has been trying fo find an outside investor for many years, which was not successful, so I guess Kickstarter and Paypal was the only way it could have been done.

So this is exactly what i'm talking about...i don't know how much you donated personally but i'm not sure how you can say maxing out credit cards or donating $1000's isn't an emotional decision when it isn't exactly an investment that you can expect any return on...you are literally giving away money because you/we are desperate to see the continuation of our favorite game series...and for that YU doesn't deserve our =D>

I'm not against the entire idea of kickstarter or having pseudo pre-order's to guarantee demand for a title before they spend millions and years developing something,but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:

blacktorn has received a thanks from: Monkei
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby sand4fish » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 pm

blacktorn wrote:
So this is exactly what i'm talking about...i don't know how much you donated personally but i'm not sure how you can say maxing out credit cards or donating $1000's isn't an emotional decision when it isn't exactly an investment that you can expect any return on...you are literally giving away money because you/we are desperate to see the continuation of our favorite game series...and for that YU doesn't deserve our =D>

I'm not against the entire idea of kickstarter or having pseudo pre-order's to guarantee demand for a title before they spend millions and years developing something,but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:

I don't see your point in discouraging people on spending their money on the project. No one is giving money for free. If you read between the lines, Peter (the one willing to throw in another $5500) clearly is trying to purchase a jacket and a sculpture for that price, as he's a known huge Shenmue collector. It just happens his goal aligns that with the helping of the development of Shenmue 3. But if you know any other way Peter can get his hands on those items for less, I'm sure he is all ears.

I think your pitch should go for those who genuinely donated huge sums of money without asking for any kind of reward. Maybe they can help you in the quest of saving some dolphins or ending poverty in Africa.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:14 am

To be honest it's not a lock in that I will be contributing anymore to Shenmue 3. As much as I'd love to, I will think about it because I feel I have given the project enough money. Plus I have to save up for the trip to Japan next year.

Christmas is coming up, and I was thinking about maybe taking my family away on holiday as a present, I don't know. Plus there quite a few concerts I would like to go to, a lot of upcoming games I want to buy etc.

It's a safe bet to say I wouldn't be able to afford both the statue and the jacket, but even one of them may not be possible. I will have to wait and see how things play out.

But make no mistake, this is not an "investment", it's a passion. A hobby. I have enjoyed this particular game so much that it's extended beyond the television screen, to a tattoo on my arm, to a facination and love for another country, to media and helping Shenmue as much as I can online, to physical collections of pieces which now make up a sizeable Shenmue collection.

My decisions to do what I do have been calculated and quantified by 14 years of experience and emotion, which is fine because this isn't a business deal. I am not paying for a football player to get a return on him. I am helping someone which has helped me craft the life I live. My money not only is going to help develop a piece of gaming history, but also is leading me to a country I wouldn't have had any love for if it hadnt been for the first game. I will get to meet an idol who hasn't just created the game, but so many games which shaped not just my own, so many childhoods and advanced the industry so much over the past 35 years. If anyone doesn't get that or understand that, that's completely fine. But I do, and what I have given this project I would not change in a heartbeat. There are a lot of elements to any life equation, and in my case with Shenmue 3, all those elements were in the right place to make it work. Was it a lot of money? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. Should I have done something different with that money? No. Why not? Because I did something in life I felt 100% that this is what I wanted to do. Simple.

Peter has received a thanks from: Kiske
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 am

That's fine. Everybody should do what they can do.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:34 am

blacktorn wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: I don't see it as that big of an issue, tbh. I didn't max out my credit card, but I gave what I was willing to give and what I could afford. Now that might be $100 for one person and $10,000 for another. As long as you are able to repay the spendings on your credit card, I guess it's fine.

I had made plans to buy a new phone in September which is not gonna happen now because of Shenmue 3 and I'll have to put off my new phone plans for the time being. But that's fine with me. It was worth it to me. So if others want to max out their credit cards or bank accounts I don't think it's "stupid" to do so. It's their own money and it's not an emotional decision imho. Those people had an entire month to think their Kickstarter contribution over and could have bailed out at any time.

Also, I do agree with you on the fact that it's "sad", Yu has to ask the fans for money to fund S3, but "wrong"? No, I don't think so. Shenmue 3 has been put on halt for 14 years, Sega don't want to finance it which is understandable. Now Yu has been trying fo find an outside investor for many years, which was not successful, so I guess Kickstarter and Paypal was the only way it could have been done.

I'm kind of with you there. I donated $600, which might not seem a lot to some of the more extreme backers (or the complete nutjobs :D), but it's already an amount that my friends and family are having a hard time comprehending/relating to. I'm a student, living off a 12-hours-a-week job, paying study fees, (shared) flat, health insurance, phone, food, you name it. If that decision wasn't emotional, than I don't know what is. :lol: At the beginning I only planned to donate $100, which already raised some eyebrows. In hindsight I've got to say the following about this:

It's 100% an emotional decision. Some of the motivating factors behind this were mentioned in Gamespot's "How Did Shenmue 3 Raise $6.3 Million?" video, like "the fear of missing out", stuff like that. The effect of a one month Kickstarter campaign is not that people are having more time to think stuff over. It's a lot of time to donate even more, to let the hype grow. The closer the closing date gets, the more people will feel urged to raise the contribution they already made. It's only this one chance after all, so it's got to be all or nothing. That's how it feels, and it's also partly true.
While watching the Kickstarter for "Red Ash", having a look at the comments section every now and then, I noticed one thing: They all acted and sounded 1:1 like us, it was exactly the same kind of thing happening all over again. A relatively small group of people going totally nuts about something that no-one else really cares about or can relate to. "Why would they be this hyped for a dubious campaign for some crap-looking game like that?" I asked myself, realizing the next moment that I was looking at us, from an outside view, concluding that we're all idiots. :lol: I'm half joking here of course.

But I especially agree with one thing you wrote:

but Yu knows that the shenmue fan base is relativity small and having stretch goals that reach $11+ million is a total P*** take,higher than any other kick starter and stating the game will not stretch his complete vision unless we pony up such funds... :shock:

This is once again Yu floating somewhere out of this world and reality, this is part of what killed the old SEGA. It's too much. It might be his dream, but it's not really fair towards us fans or anyone. What if we would have reached those $11.000.000? You can always improve a product by investing even more, so why should it have stopped there? Initially it was $10.000.000 for a "true open world game".

That said, I'm really, really, really glad Shenmue III is happening, there's no game or other entertainment product I'm looking forward to with more joy (allthough Warner's DC Cinematic Universe comes quite close) - but I'm absolutely done funding it. I'm still feeling the financial consequences of my $600 donation and will still be feeling them for more than another month. If I could travel back, would I donate the $600 again? I'm not quite sure. Probably yes, maybe no. The $100 definitely, absolutely. But there's really no reason to do more and to obsess so much about stuff like this. It's time to enjoy the wait for the game I've (and you guys have) always wished for the most.

Monkei has received a thanks from: blacktorn
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:58 am

^Again, your experience is individual. I was talking about having given what I could afford. If I would have felt consequences from it for like 3 or 4 months to come, I wouldn't have done it. I spent money I could spend and I'll do the same thing again at some point in November or December. In my situation, it was more like a matter of priority. Shenmue vs. smart phone. And I thought: "Screw the phone!". :lol:

Also, I don't think there is just one "outsider" reaction you can get. Most people I've talked about S3 with don't give a damn about any video games at all and in fact I only got the reaction you described ("You're an idiot for spending that much money on a game.") from one single person. Most others were like "Oh, that's cool dude! If you have the money and you've dreamed of that game for more than 10 years, it's great for you. I'm happy for you, dude!" The outside perspective just depends on what people you ask.

And last but not least, I also don't see any fairness issue here. Actually, I think what Ys Net are doing is pretty straightforward: "We are at amount X now, spend amount Y to get reward Z, if we reach amount K, we will make stretch goal O into the game." We're all over 18. We can decide what to spend money on.

Let's agree to disagree on this. Shenmue 3! :beerchug:
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Nothing to argue against that. The perspective/individuality factor is definitely important, agreed. I can actually relate to both, blacktorn's and your view. :)

And yes, Shenmue III \:D/
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 am

Amir wrote:
Kaze518 wrote: So i guess we cant expand our original pledges like i thought we could? You would have to "repledge" to get a better reward of choice.

Latest Kickstarter update says there will be upgrades down the line for KS backers after they send out surveys:

Surveys, add-ons and upgrades
Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

That's the confirmation I was waiting for. Good news indeed.

I'm considering upgrading my pledge from the 175$ to the 250$. Mostly to get the physical CD soundtrack and the original Shenmue 3 illustration.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:34 pm

So what design upgrades mean? Is that just for someone who originally pledged $125 to change it for an increased figure? Or more incentives to pledge more?

Little bit confused.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Amir » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Peter wrote: So what design upgrades mean? Is that just for someone who originally pledged $125 to change it for an increased figure? Or more incentives to pledge more?

Little bit confused.

Hopefully it'll be a bit of both, just waiting on them to send out surveys...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Well to be completely and utterly selfish, I was hoping that say, if you pledged more than a certain amount, you could get some items cheaper. Say the jacket being $2000 etc. But that wouldn't be fair to those who actually pledged $3000.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Peter wrote: So what design upgrades mean? Is that just for someone who originally pledged $125 to change it for an increased figure? Or more incentives to pledge more?

Little bit confused.

Actually I have experience on this given I have supported past Kickstarter projects. So in short it works the same way it did when the campaign was still active. You can choose to upgrade your current pledge to an higher tier reward (the options might be limited though depending on what's left as for example there's only 1 watch and 1 original jacket available). No extra incentives to pledge will be given.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snakiest » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Hold on to your kidneys, mates. Shenmue 3 is happening, but you might still have to donate it for shenmue 4.-))

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates