Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:37 pm

To 14
I'm shocked Yu actually came forward with such info, but I hope Ryo doesn't succeed already. I hope the encounter involves him hitting Lan Di, Lan Di hitting him, and Ryo hitting the floor.

However being that' that's now most likely going to be the case, I give it a 98% chance that Lan Di is going to take off with the Phoenix Mirror at the end of Shenmue 3

It makes me nervous for Yu to say silly stuff like, he would like to allow Ryo to beable to pick up things, I mean WTF is he saying that he's not sure he'll get around to adding such in?

That should be one of the very first things being calculated into the game from the start, not all these so called new things.

It's not a Shenmue game, if Ryo can't interact with the environment.

Zoltor has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Zoltor wrote: To 14
I'm shocked Yu actually came forward with such info, but I hope Ryo doesn't succeed already. I hope the encounter involves him hitting Lan Di, Lan Di hitting him, and Ryo hitting the floor.

However being that' that's now most likely going to be the case, I give it a 98% chance that Lan Di is going to take off with the Phoenix Mirror at the end of Shenmue 3

It makes me nervous for Yu to say silly stuff like, he would like to allow Ryo to beable to pick up things, I mean WTF is he saying that he's not sure he'll get around to adding such in?

That should be one of the very first things being calculated into the game from the start, not all these so called new things.

Completely agree.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:22 pm

i would predict interactivity would be like Shenmue II, with some areas being fully interactive, but mostly not.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Reprise wrote:
johnvivant wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: welp, i clicked the spoiler...

Considering that
suzuki is still not planning to end the story with 3, im shocked that we will fight Lan Di in this one, it kinda shows that the story evolves more than just a vs revenge story, oh giddy imma excite!!

i highly doubt the revenge arc ends in shenmue 3. this is probably just a preliminary fight where Ryo tastes the true difficulty of his task. he survives (or is saves) but vows to become stronger. the true battle will be in shen 4 or 5, imo.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Also, he's fought the bosses of the first 2 games at least once (and encountered them more than twice) before fighting them at the end of the game, so Ryo fighting
Lan Di
in III would definitely not be their final battle. i hope there's some kind of achievable objective in the battle though, instead of just having to lose and watch the cutscene.

Also,
Ryo/the player/the game spent far too long and put Ryo through way too much shit, especially in the second game, only to get a 5 second glimpse of Lan Di towards the end of Shenmue II. even if Shenmue III had been released right after II, it would've been mandatory to have some kind of significant encounter with Lan Di that would last longer than 5 seconds.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 pm

NeoShredder wrote:
Switch wrote:Interesting asking about whether the boat scene would be included in the flashback digest. It's sensible that it won't be as it wasn't seen originally and would use up resources to create. Even in one of the interview articles from 2001 Yu also said he didn't have any second thoughts about chopping out that chapter in order to make the game fit for the release.

I don't feel as though anything's lost by it either. However I wonder (spoilers)

If Chai is supposed to return, surely this boat incident must be alluded to in some way? Or perhaps it'll be retconned? I mean, you speak to the woman and her child at the start of II about it.

It's easy to handle in a way that doesn't retcon the incident but also doesn't confuse those who aren't fully aware of it. Considering the boat chapter ended in much the same way as Ryo disposed of Chai at Yokosuka Harbor, the following line would make sense to anybody:

"EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIGGHHHHHHHHH!!! You thought the Great Chai went to a watery grave, did you? EHEHEHEHEHEHE..... You cannot dampen my spirits so easily!"
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby JaySw34 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:35 pm

I was glad when I read that what we saw in the Shenmue Online trailer was footage from a story he wrote specifically for that game and was not a continuation of Shenmue II.

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby iyapol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:53 am

Really good stuff, David. Thanks for asking about my in-game camera suggestion. Wasn't expecting that!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 am

Surprising that you didn't react about the combat system lol. What do you think ? Is someone afraid of Yu wanting to make the Free Battle too easier thanks AI battling here ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:27 am

Yokosuka wrote:

Surprising that you didn't react about the combat system lol. What do you think ? Is someone afraid of Yu wanting to make the Free Battle too easier thanks AI battling here ?

Frankly, I don't think even Yu has a damn clue what he's talking about, when it comes to the battle system. He even goes on mention the stupid Ragdoll physics, first explaining what that is(so we do know, he knows what that is), and then agrees that such is goofy/unfitting for a Shenmue game, so he's going to edit the mechanic.

Um yea Yu, we all know Ragdoll Physics sucks, but if you know that as well, and are going to change that up some way, why the bloody hell, are you calling it Ragdoll Physics sigh. Lol I know that evil stretch goal, is a big reason why people don't want to put more money towards the game atm. Yu really should've named it something else.

In general though, I don't have much faith in Shenmue 3's battle system being anything even remotely close to as enjoyable as the past twe games, so I'm over it. However Yu not planning to have Ryo being able to interact with the world from the beginning of the planning stage, is a much bigger problem.

He basically confirms that Shenmue 3, "mapping wise" will only be about the size of the first game, so there's really no excuse for not making the environment as fully interactive as possible.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:52 am

Frankly, I don't think even Yu has a damn clue what he's talking about, when it comes to the battle system. He even goes on mention the stupid Ragdoll physics, first explaining what that is(so we do know, he knows what that is), and then agrees that such is goofy/unfitting for a Shenmue game, so he's going to edit the mechanic.

Yeah, because you know better for sure.

I'm honestly shocked by the low faith of some fans...

Yu Suzuki will deliver what he feels is the best to deliver in the form he thinks fits better. Period.

Good if he listens to fans requests but for god sake, leave him with HIS VISION and trust him.
He didn't give up on Shenmue for 14 (!!!) years, that's enough to deserve some respect.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: SickOctopus, VukBZ2005
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:03 am

Zoltor wrote: He basically confirms that Shenmue 3, "mapping wise" will only be about the size of the first game, so there's really no excuse for not making the environment as fully interactive as possible.

Shenmue II was not really interactive anyway. The most of the objects you can grab were there for the strict purpose of the quests. Perhaps he talked about the useless objects made only for the immersion. I can't imagine a significant downgrade on this plan. The Yu's few words are difficult to interpret though. Sure that Shenmue III will not be the new Elder Scroll.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:16 am

Kiske wrote:

Yeah, because you know better for sure.

I'm honestly shocked by the low faith of some fans...

Yu Suzuki will deliver what he feels is the best to deliver in the form he thinks fits better. Period.

Good if he listens to fans requests but for god sake, leave him with HIS VISION and trust him.
He didn't give up on Shenmue for 14 (!!!) years, that's enough to deserve some respect.

He's flip flopping all over the place, with the fighting system, first he says he's going to not worry about real physics, and just make characters go flying in a "cool" way, then you have Ragdoll Physics listsed as a stretch goal, which is the exact opposite of cool, and now he's criticizing a bad mechanic he listed, saying such Isn't realistic/Isn't fitting for a Shenmue game.

Yu has clearly no comprehensible plans when it comes to the fighting system, other then having a skill tree, it sounds like nothing more then him making random stuff up while he goes. How are people suppose to have faith in that?

Luckily there's a lot more to a Shenmue game, then the fighting system, but still.

To Yokosuka It would've been pretty creepy for Ryo to go through Xuiying's things. If it wasn't due to all the high rises in Kowloon, and how you can go into each room, yet there being nothing to find/interact in such, it wouldn't have gave such a impression.

However, yea one can only hope that's what he meant, he didn't say much of anything revolving such at all, so his statement was very vague to say the least, but sounded really bad.

Yu needs to get out of the mindset of a damn coder, and remember he's a game "Designer, and Director". His focus should be on creating a quality game, that's a actual Shenmue game, not on trying to challenge himself.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:48 am

Yu Suzuki is truly fond of martial arts. He's the Creator of the Virtua Fighter series and did a very good job in the past Shenmue's with battles.
He has still to define exactly how the combat system is going to work but knows he wants it more "cinematic".
That's ok to me, at least unless actual gameplay proves me he's wrong.

...and now he's criticizing a bad mechanic he listed, saying such Isn't realistic/Isn't fitting for a Shenmue game.

You are talking about the fact that distance isn't actually taken in account when throwing a punch or kick?
If yes, he's right and it's right to improve this the way he has explained. It doesn't mean necessarily a simplified gameplay, but a more realistic movement and combat for sure.
The way I understand it, if you throw a punch out of range, it won't be a punch" in empty space" but a closing manœuvre AND a punch. If implemented the way I imagine it, that means also that the ratio time/space of your attack will be bad and you will be vulnerable to counter-attack.

In a nutshell, it should widen the combat gameplay because instead of a distant and useless punch, you will have a time consuming attack maneouvre which could give the opponent more chances of successfully counter-attack you.
Last edited by Kiske on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:56 am

Kiske wrote: Yu Suzuki is truly fond of martial arts. He's the Creator of the Virtua Fighter series and did a very good job in the past Shenmue's with battles.
He has still to define exactly how the combat system is going to work but knows he wants it more "cinematic".
That's ok to me, at least unless actual gameplay proves me he's wrong.

...and now he's criticizing a bad mechanic he listed, saying such Isn't realistic/Isn't fitting for a Shenmue game.

You are talking about the fact that distance isn't actually taken in account when throwing a punch or kick?
If yes, he's right and it's right to improve this the way he has explained. It doesn't mean necessarily a simplified gameplay, but a more realistic movement and combat for sure.
The way I understand it, if you throw a punch out of range, it won't be a punch" in empty space" but a closing manœuvre AND a punch. If implemented the way I imagine it, that means also that the ratio time/space of your attack will be bad and you will be vulnerable to counter-attack.

In a nutshell, it should widen the combat gameplay because instead of a distant and useless punch, you will have a time consuming attack maneouvre which could give the opponent more chances of successfully couter-attack you.

He should not have Ragdoll Physics at all, and have the realistic physics the series is known for, instead of giving crappy ragdoll physics a bandaid fix, to make it marginally less crappy.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:59 am

What if we debate on the success/failure of the Ragdoll implementation when the first gameplay demonstrating it comes out?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III