"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:48 am

I agree Anonymous and as you, I couldn't be more happy about what happened since june 2015.

Shenmue 3 IS REAL :D

But... but the job (our job) is not completely done. For a start, we need Shenmue HD.
For the good of Shenmue 3 and by extension, for the good of Shenmue 4.

Yes, we should enjoy the moment and be happy but still, the time to sit back has not come yet.
Keep up our efforts so whatever comes in the end, we can say... "we did our best".

Kiske has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:28 pm

I agree. I'm not talking about resting on our crowdfunding laurels. I'm talking about the pervasive anger and disaffection that has taken root here and elsewhere despite things being better today than they were a year ago for Shenmue fans. People fearing that if we don't raise 10 or even 7 million we will see a Shenmue 3 that tarnishes the legacy of the series. (I actually feel a poorly conceived HD re-release of the first two games would do that more than Shenmue 3 ever could, personally, but I digress.)

I think it's safe to say everyone here and everyone in other Shenmue communities is doing everything they're financially, physically, and mentally able to do to raise awareness about this PayPal campaign. I doubt there's ever been a community of fans, collectively and individually, who have sacrificed more or expended more effort on trying to support a game series. And I agree it's not over yet.

But there's also going to be an upper limit on what we can achieve. No one knows what that limit is, but it's going to be hit (if it hasn't been already,) and all I'm saying is, if that limit is lower than we wish it was, we should still be thankful and happy with whatever we get and not feel embittered or like all is lost... especially when just a few months ago, all really was lost, and we were - to anyone's knowledge - never going to see this game happen in our lifetimes.

That's all I'm getting at.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Monkei
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:40 am

Sorry for my Question, but can Yu Suzuki modeling some Characters and Game Assets with a 3D-Editor? Or will he managing the development of Shenmue 3?
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:47 am

He is a programmer, but he is also very artistic, but probably would not model anything.

fittersau has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:21 pm

shredingskin wrote: Weren't the Shenmue original textures stupidly high res ?

Sadly the DC wasn't that much of a polygon pusher, so most of the models were very blocky for today's standards, but at least they have some stuff to work on.

what are you talking about. no shenmue anything is blocky, even by todays standards.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:23 pm

also I understand yu asking for more money at every opportunity, the more the merrier of course, however look at a game like witcher 3, which cost 40 million dollars over nearly 5 years and an engine built from scratch. adding to the perhaps 7 million now, what do other guys like biscay bring in? that has to be what a total of maybe 10 million? how expensive is it truly to create shenmue 3 with engine already in and cheap as hell. I think we could very well expect the best imo for that kind of money in these circumstances
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:55 pm

shredingskin wrote: They are gonna do what they are gonna do.

I don't read games media because it's basically some random guy rambling about something that it's pretty much a press release, gaming "news" are promotional trailers, we all know that.

YSnet isn't those big companies that can pay reviews, trips to play the game, press them with withdrawing ads, etc.

While it's interesting seeing different opinions on a game, I can't/won't say that they shouldn't voice it. There are different voices/opinions, and reviews are subjective as fuck.

I do care about shitty journalism, but it happens everywhere, even in politics. It doesn't take much to just call Shenmue fans a "mob" and do their narrative flow. And people get as touchy as we can get on Shenmue. It's a matter of perspective.

I do not want censorship, I do not like clickbait, and sadly the only thing they can say it's: "that's our take on it". They do it because it works, there's not that much to it.

lol @ people who honestly think game review sites get paid by game companies to post positive reviews :lol:
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 pm

drunkensailor wrote:

I don't read games media because it's basically some random guy rambling about something that it's pretty much a press release, gaming "news" are promotional trailers, we all know that.

YSnet isn't those big companies that can pay reviews, trips to play the game, press them with withdrawing ads, etc.

While it's interesting seeing different opinions on a game, I can't/won't say that they shouldn't voice it. There are different voices/opinions, and reviews are subjective as fuck.

I do care about shitty journalism, but it happens everywhere, even in politics. It doesn't take much to just call Shenmue fans a "mob" and do their narrative flow. And people get as touchy as we can get on Shenmue. It's a matter of perspective.

I do not want censorship, I do not like clickbait, and sadly the only thing they can say it's: "that's our take on it". They do it because it works, there's not that much to it.

lol @ people who honestly think game review sites get paid by game companies to post positive reviews :lol:

Did Polygon receive $750,000 from Microsoft out of the kindness of their heart?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Zoltor » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:55 pm

KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Also IGN was caught red handed taking bribes from Square way back in the early 2000s.

Nevermind the fact big companies have a tendency to blacklist reviewers who don't give atleast a respectable rating outright, so yea.

You know how new stations won't ask politicians the hard questions, and whatnot, in fear of losing their jobs or funding by some unnamed sponsors, well It's the same BS with so called professional review sites.

Oh yea, lets not forget any company that flies reviewers out to these reviewer events, if that's not bribing(as well as another form of controlling the outcome of a reviewers reviews) in of its self, I don't know what is.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:40 pm

As long as reviewers are dependent of advertising incomes or are low paid, their opinion can be influenced rather easily. Even Sega managed to convince IGN to upgrade the Shenmue rating at the time. That's why this is very rare to see an AAA game get negative reviews, apart some weird exceptions (Resident Evil 6 reception was awful).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Zoltor wrote:Oh yea, lets not forget any company that flies reviewers out to these reviewer events, if that's not bribing(as well as another form of controlling the outcome of a reviewers reviews) in of its self, I don't know what is.

Yeah, paid travels, paid meals, many gifts like free games, collector's editions and even a complete gaming PCs with the game installed for the reviewers, and of course, ads on the websites, that not only can be used like a bribe, but are always under the pressure of being pulled out.

Sure, no website gets money directly from the publishers to give them good reviews, that would be retarded, not even gangsters did things like that. But, we've seen so many situations where incredibly boring AAA games get glowing reviews though, most of the times with no disclosure of anything, and with a big contrast to the actual gamers opinions, that it's not even a question anymore that gaming media is not trustworthy. Don't even need to mention the controversies, like the Gamespot reviewer being fired for a bad review too, among others.

Shin Pan Tzee has received a thanks from: fittersau
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shibiryo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:46 am

You know what, I could do with a bit more money...
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby punkmanced » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Shibiryo wrote: You know what, I could do with a bit more money...

...get into video game journalism ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 am

Zoltor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Also IGN was caught red handed taking bribes from Square way back in the early 2000s.

Nevermind the fact big companies have a tendency to blacklist reviewers who don't give atleast a respectable rating outright, so yea.

You know how new stations won't ask politicians the hard questions, and whatnot, in fear of losing their jobs or funding by some unnamed sponsors, well It's the same BS with so called professional review sites.

Oh yea, lets not forget any company that flies reviewers out to these reviewer events, if that's not bribing(as well as another form of controlling the outcome of a reviewers reviews) in of its self, I don't know what is.

any proof of that?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:52 am

To drunkensailor: It was very much documented on the net back then(It's what made all of us finally give up on so called professional review sites), but I suck at digging up info that is only a few years old on the net, nevermind stuff this old. I thought it was pretty common knowledge though, especially for people who were around back then.
Last edited by Zoltor on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III