Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Full SPOILER discussion inside.

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Star Wars Force Awakens Trailer #2

Postby KiBa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:26 am

Henry Spencer wrote:
Mr357 wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: ^There's a guy in my office who will not shut up about it. He's a Star Wars nut. Also, I'm seeing Star Wars stuff everywhere - Battlefront has been pretty hard to ignore and online everywhere it's talk about Star Wars and Star Wars avatars everywhere. It's cool that people love Star Wars but for those of us who only like Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi... :-&

You don't like Star Wars (A New Hope)? [-X

Nope. Never have done.

You should listen to the Star Wars: The New Hope radio drama instead of ever watching the movie. It's waaaay better.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 am

Kenny wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: I feel that RotJ ended really well and see this extra movie as a money grab relying on nostalgia [even though the prequel films sucked] and the trailers really haven't made me feel any differently about that.

And you're definitely right. Once Disney got their hands on it, boom--three greenlit sequel films.

The hope is that they don't feel very derivative and feel like their existence is justified, though honestly ROTJ is such a perfect end to the OT that these sequels feel nothing but fan service galore.

While I agree to an extent... Oh who are we kidding of COURSE its for the monnnnaaaaay! :rotflmao: But other than the obvious (the money), Lucas has said that he wanted to do sequels to the original trilogy, so it's not like it's out of left field. Mark Hamill has stated in previous interviews that Lucas wanted to make new films when they're much older. Even though ROTJ did have a perfect ending, it's not like their lives stopped after that movie. Everyone wanted to know what happened to the gang after the film ended, hence the hundreds and hundreds of books/comics/games/etc.

While I don't mind a little bit of fan service in the film, I do hope that it doesn't simply rely on nostalgia to push the film's story.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm just happy Disney is doing their own thing with the sequels because I always despised the Expanded Universe, which is now thankfully merely "Legends".

That is to say, I enjoyed some of the content a lot as separate sci-fi universes, but the various authors basically destroyed the Jedi and the original Star Wars conception of the Force, long before Lucas ever dreamed up midichlorians, by making the difference between dark and light pointless. Is it "fanfic" cool that after everything Luke's been through he should become a Sith? Sure. But it's a stupid and obnoxious idea in the context of the original trilogy. That's just one of many examples of how much the SWEU was terrible plot-wise. Even worse, the really distant future SWEU stories had the New Republic fall to a new Empire, except this empire was "good" with light side Force knights, etc. So ridiculous. The entire essence of the optimistic original trilogy was an absolute moral conviction that goodness in politics was a limited republican form of government. The SWEU authors basically wrecked all the values of the original trilogy and inserted their own fascist political views, made the Force totally ethically relative so there was no good or evil in the universe, and ended their timeline on a note of complete oblivion and nihilism. It was nothing less than the complete destruction of everything good George Lucas accidentally created.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby csmakio » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

I'm currently celebrating my wedding honeymoon down in Clearwater and the wife and I decided to hit-up Disney for a day or two.

Star Wars swag everywhere, Disney is really milking it. We went to Hollywood Studios today and they did an awesome job updating the ride and it looks like they are currently working on adding a lot of Star Wars related rides and attractions. Disney is going to make a fortune off this.

\:D/
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio

Postby Bambi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:15 pm

KiBa wrote: everything good George Lucas accidentally created.

Bambi has received a thanks from: KiBa
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby csmakio » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Bambi wrote:
KiBa wrote: everything good George Lucas accidentally created.

Lucas directed New Hope...he didnt "accidentally" create anything....
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Lucas did want to do sequels way before ANH came out but had radically different ideas for them. This was before it was cemented that Vader will be Luke's dad and all that other stuff. Star Wars is basically a big budgeted version of those old serialized western and sci-fi episodics he grew up with.

And as far as a "perfect" ending, perfect in the sense the hero's journey has ended. Everything else is just padding. It's like saying "well Odysseus' story certainty didn't end at the end of the Odyssey, he probably went on with his life afterwards". I'm sure he did, but do you really care? Is it even necessary to know what happens after his great journey ended? Only if something just as great or greater happened but that technically didn't transpire.

Especially when you break it down as:

1. Prequels were about the establishment of the Empire.
2. OT is about the fall of the Empire.

So these sequels are about... bringing the Empire back again? Have a new evil leader precede over these mercenaries and fight back the Rebels? Regurgitating the whole cycle again? Obviously it's hard to judge what they intend to do until they come out, but I'm expecting them to come up with something great. But early reports suggested that JJ wanted more time to work on the script but Disney was forcing him to push for a December 2015 release. So as cool as some aspects seem to be, I'm largely still on the fence.

And yes you can write as many stories after, before, in-between, sideways, or generally around the original movies but how many of those are as impactful as the OT? They set the bar incredibly high.

As for Lucas accidentally creating Star Wars, that depends on what you mean by that. ET was accidentally created by Melissa Mathison, with the ET character accidentally created by Rick Baker, which was then given to Spielberg who was given a dirt cheap budget to work on after accidentally tanking big time only to rebound with Raiders the year before.

Lucas came up with the idea but hired the right people to help bring it to life. He wrote it, but hired two people to rewrite his script when everyone else in Hollywood were scratching their heads as his initial drafts were purely NONSENSE. He edited it, but then hired two other guys to re-edit it to give it a faster paced more exciting style. He came up with rough concepts for alot of the characters and worldly objects & vehicles, but Ralph McQuarrie was the one who came up with the exact designs that ended up being the sole basis for the actual creature and set designs. He gave direction on how he wanted certain scenes to be played put based on reels he cut, but it was the teams at ILM that figured out how to do it with the limited budget given. One of the lead designers for 2001 Space Odyssey was also hired to be on board the project.

Lucas was also the one who whip them all into shape and quickly get them to finish their SFX shots. Star Wars was nothing but purely collaborative. This is why the prequels sucked too. Lucas barred everyone from letting him change his ideas when everyone was basically stepping all over him circa 1976 and he was forced to make compromises.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 pm

KiBa wrote: I'm just happy Disney is doing their own thing with the sequels because I always despised the Expanded Universe

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Nahovil
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 am

So here's a question: Why do you think they're keeping Luke such a secret? They don't show him in any of the posters or promotional material. People think that Luke is probably the person with the metal hand touching R-2, but that isn't for sure. Any theories?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby csmakio » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:19 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So here's a question: Why do you think they're keeping Luke such a secret? They don't show him in any of the posters or promotional material. People think that Luke is probably the person with the metal hand touching R-2, but that isn't for sure. Any theories?

I don't think Luke is going to play a huge role in Awakens TBH, I think this is going to setup everything for the next two movies. I absolutely think that is Luke with R2 in the trailer, 100%, no one else it could be.

I definitely believe Luke will be in Awakens but possibly not till the end? Then he will be a leading role in the next two?
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:45 am

phpBB [video]

Japanese trailer with new footage! awesome
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby csmakio » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:
phpBB [video]

Was just going to post this 8)

Rey mentions she's waiting for family. She's either Han and Leias kid or some immediate relation to Luke.
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:
phpBB [video]

AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:30 pm

I think the girl is the new jedi-ish-person/luke's kid and i think the evil dude is Han and Leia's kid.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:45 pm

I think Finn is Luke and Leia's kid.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, Yokosuka Martian
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic