Shenmue 64

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue 64

Postby SMDzero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:29 am

I think that Shenmue on Saturn is arguably more graphically impressive than the ultimate Dreamcast release considering the comparative hardware.

The Saturn was, evidently, a beast if both processors were used to their fullest potential.

I was wondering if Shenmue would have been possible on my favorite system of that generation, the N64?

I think the game would have had a Turok control scheme where we look with the analog stick and move with the c-buttons.

Also speech would probably been either heavily compressed or even limited to cutscenes.

Ryo's spikey hair wouldn't have been a problem, but the characters would have looked very polygonal with minimal texture work.

But when looking at Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, I think graphically the N64 could have put out a decent Shenmue game.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue 64

Postby Jibby » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:28 am

Imagine how many cartridges you'd need for Shenmue 1 on N64...
(EDIT: Just did the maths, with a little bit of rounding, you'd need 48, not including Passport)
But in all seriousness I don't think it would have worked. Limited speech, polygonal characters and the other graphical and gameplay limitations would have defeated the purpose of the game entirely. To provide a realistic experience.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SMDzero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:10 am

Jibby wrote: Imagine how many cartridges you'd need for Shenmue 1 on N64...
(EDIT: Just did the maths, with a little bit of rounding, you'd need 48, not including Passport)
But in all seriousness I don't think it would have worked. Limited speech, polygonal characters and the other graphical and gameplay limitations would have defeated the purpose of the game entirely. To provide a realistic experience.

Well they did manage to compress RE2 (which was on 2 discs and had buttloads of FMV) onto a single N64 cart.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:22 am

Shenmue on cartridge is absolutely unthinkable. While the N64 has arguably the strongest hardware and the most graphical power of the generation I think Shenmue Saturn would still look and sound better. It simply has more space for a lot more diverse textures and especially for music. And of course fully voiced characters, wich was one of Yu Suzuki's first goals with Shenmue.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:42 am

Even if it would be technically possible (which is not because of the reasons mentioned above), then it still would never happen. Because it's the 90's we're talking about. SEGA releasing a game for Nintendo console would be a joke. I'ts like microsoft would release a ps4 exclusive game today. Just impossible.

-=SPZ=-47 has received a thanks from: yukithesmith
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mr357 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 pm

If it had to be on a 5th generation console, the PS1 would have struck the best balance between storage medium and 3D performance, not to mention having by far the largest consumer base.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Well I think that a stop 'n swop feature between Shenmue games would have been great on N64. 8)

Also let us not forget that N64 DID have the best graphics of the 5th generation.. if clean, z-buffered polygons and smooth textures count for anything.

I know level of detail, polygon count and music would suck on N64.. but at least graphics would be crisp and clean and show off well.

Perhaps on N64 the characters could be super-deformed?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Not possible. Although I can see it playing like Mystical Ninja lol. Which actually might be kind of fun and goofy
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby SMDzero » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Has Shigeru Miyamoto ever commented on Shenmue?

With Shenmue's ascension from the ashes on PS4 Shenmue will have visited every company's platform except Nintendo.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Caturria » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Barring the voicing, Majora's Mask has pretty much all of the other bases covered. You've got days and time, weather, a pretty open world (you can access most of Termina almost right from the start), events that only happen at specific times and places, people with individual schedules who travel around intelligently, lots of minigames and other time killers, a notebook system... have I missed anything? You'd have to strip a lot of things out actually and change how battles work. 64 MB of storage space isn't enough for all the scenes and conversations though. I think you could take the gamecube version of Majora's Mask (which is just the 64 version running on a sort of emulator from what I understand) and build Shenmue using that infrastructure.
Caturria
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 pm

Caturria wrote: Barring the voicing, Majora's Mask has pretty much all of the other bases covered. You've got days and time, weather, a pretty open world (you can access most of Termina almost right from the start), events that only happen at specific times and places, people with individual schedules who travel around intelligently, lots of minigames and other time killers, a notebook system... have I missed anything? You'd have to strip a lot of things out actually and change how battles work. 64 MB of storage space isn't enough for all the scenes and conversations though. I think you could take the gamecube version of Majora's Mask (which is just the 64 version running on a sort of emulator from what I understand) and build Shenmue using that infrastructure.

Good example, but naturally the problem goes back to storage. You simply can't fit lots of dialogue and music on a cartridge.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 pm

Good call on the Majora's Mask and Shenmue comparison. Both games came out the same year and used virtual time passage in interesting and innovative ways.

Regarding Shenmue 64... the voices could have been gobbeldy gook noises similar to Banjo Kazooie. Players could assume that it was an ancient language from the orient that no one today understands.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:45 am

SMDzero wrote:Regarding Shenmue 64... the voices could have been gobbeldy gook noises similar to Banjo Kazooie. Players could assume that it was an ancient language from the orient that no one today understands.

Yes, just record some rednecked Westerners saying "yin tang yin tang yin tang" and apply it to every conversation in the game.

I wonder if Yu's still taking suggestions.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby 7heavens » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 am

Did conkers bad fur day not have voice acting? I'm sure it did.
Plus the n64 could have utilized the 64DD add on to grant a better experience.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SMDzero » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 am

A 64DD Shenmue would have arguably been better than the Dreamcast release.

The DD drive's ability to write to the game disc itself would have allowed for a truly real-time changing world wherein your every action would have had truly lasting effects on the game's environment.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue