What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Wasn't Sipowicz in Hill Street Blues as well? I also watched that when mum and dad watched it, but years before NYPD Blue...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:45 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Kinda wanna change my avatar to a Sipowicz one now, but not gonna.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:50 am

I have been watching Star Trek the Next Generation a bit, DVRing random episodes off BBC.

Also a pretty funny show on adult swim, I have been watching rick and morty when I eat breakfast, I like all the back to the future inspiration in it, though its alot more fucked up comedy but gold to the right sense of humor.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: myshtuff
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm

^^I was actually surprised how much I liked Rick & Morty. Good show.

On the sixth season of Burn Notice now. The tone has shifted a bit; it used to be a bit more tongue-in-cheek, not necessarily silly, but light enough to be sort of a feel-good episodic kind of thing. At this point, it's shifted to having a bit more in the way of season-spanning arcs, so it's become a little more concerned with tension and dramatics. Still a great show, but I'm waiting to see where it goes to determine whether I really like the shift. Clever the whole way through, whatever the case.

Also finished watching Psych. Good god, what a great fucking show. Yeah, the mysteries are usually pretty dumb, but it isn't so much about that as it is about getting laughs. The characters are great, there are a shit-ton of quotable lines, and it's all rapid-fire enough that you'll probably miss some of the pop culture references, hidden background stuff, and clever quips the first time you watch, so it's got some nice "replay" value. The first season is just "good," trying to find their footing and whatnot, but it all turns to "great" after that. And seriously, this has got one of the best final episodes of a comedy show that I've ever seen.
It only ended just last year, but I'm already hoping they eventually have a reunion thing of some sort, maybe a movie or whatever. Would be great seeing these characters again.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:52 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I have been watching Star Trek the Next Generation a bit, DVRing random episodes off BBC.

Also a pretty funny show on adult swim, I have been watching rick and morty when I eat breakfast, I like all the back to the future inspiration in it, though its alot more fucked up comedy but gold to the right sense of humor.

I love ST: TNG. However, recently I finished Deep Space Nine. Holy shit. It has surpassed TNG to become my favorite Trek series. Such an amazing story and nothing is black and white as with other Trek series. This quote still sticks with me.

Rick and Morty is also hilarious. Really funny show that caught me by surprise.

I have been watching the live action GTO series on Crunchyroll. I have always loved the manga and the anime wasn't bad. However, the show itself is great and they cast Onizuka perfectly.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Watch the original live action GTO from the 90s dude. It's even better.

Rakim has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby myshtuff » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Rakim wrote: Watch the original live action GTO from the 90s dude. It's even better.

Nice I'll have to check it out. I didn't know there was an earlier one.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:48 pm

myshtuff wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: I have been watching Star Trek the Next Generation a bit, DVRing random episodes off BBC.

I love ST: TNG. However, recently I finished Deep Space Nine. Holy shit. It has surpassed TNG to become my favorite Trek series. Such an amazing story and nothing is black and white as with other Trek series. This quote still sticks with me.

Rick and Morty is also hilarious. Really funny show that caught me by surprise.

I have been watching the live action GTO series on Crunchyroll. I have always loved the manga and the anime wasn't bad. However, the show itself is great and they cast Onizuka perfectly.

Wow, you just named off a couple of my all time favorites in that post. DS9 is also my favorite trek series, by far, amazing story, great characters, different approach from the usual space exploration premise, but the same quality if not better. Easily the best Star Trek series in my opinon.

GTO 90s Live Action is absolute gold. I watched it for the first time in like 2001 or 2002 after watching the anime and I can say the live action is better than the anime even if its not as many episodes and not as fleshed out. Also the music in the live action is very emotionally resonating and helps drive certain scenes in the series home, great J-Drama and I dont watch many of them.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: myshtuff
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:58 pm

I was never able to get into any of the adaptations of GTO back in the day. Not even the anime, which everyone else seems to adore. I'm absolutely in love with the original comic, but for some reason any attempt to adapt it just seems to lose something. There's no way to put in all the "between-the-panels" gags and whatnot, for example. And somehow, the way I imagine Onizuka sounding and acting when I read the comic just feels so much better than how it comes out in adaptations.
Might have to try the new show.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:48 am

So that new Jessica Jones show on Netflix is pretty good so far. Only seen three episodes, but I'm liking it well enough. Kind of a nice hook, having a legitimate detective show with a superpowered protagonist (although her powers are downplayed considerably, which keeps it from being cheesy thus far). I was a little worried that this was going to fall into the trappings that so many other shows do these days, and have a lot of exploitative "mature" content just for the sake of looking edgier, but it's all handled pretty well up to this point.
Only thing I can really count against it is that it didn't hook me quite as fast as Daredevil. But then, Daredevil also had a lot more action than this, and I'm kind of a nut for well-made action scenes. At the very least though, this one doesn't seem like it'll have any of the same drawbacks as DD did (I don't have to put up with Deborah Ann Woll in this one, yay! \:D/), so there's a slightly advantage advantage to it. I'm at least relatively confident that there won't be any bright red ninjas in it, so that's good.
So yeah, good show so far. Gotta watch the rest.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:56 pm

^Watching that at the moment too and yeah it is good. I like how it's more of a psychological thriller than it is actually a classic Comic Book tale. Too many comic book films/TV are action, to be honest, so it's refreshing to see a show where 99% of it is investigations and drama rather than loads of action, since there's enough comic shows/films that do that already. Plus the villain is creepy and awfully evil, definitely a kind of role I've never seen David Tennant do before. Not familiar with the characters in it at all either, so it feels fresh.

Watching it though, it kinda made me think and reminded me that I want a Batman film or show that centres around a mystery/investigations rather than just Action and thrills, something a bit slower. That's kind of what I enjoyed about the Animated Series so much (Beyond especially, which did it even better) that Batman wasn't just punching people the whole time, he's actually investigating shit. Take note, DC (ack, they won't anyway). More of this neo-noir style, at least.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I recently tried watching Star Wars's The Clone Wars, but I didn't really like it... something about it just felt off and didn't really feel like Star Wars (and yes I watched it in the revised chronological order, since it was aired out of order).

Saw the first two episodes of Star Wars Rebels, and yeah it's not the greatest thing ever, but it's a hell of a lot better than The Clone Wars and I'm actually feeling the Star Wars vibes. Seems to be a pretty good time. I really don't like the animation though, especially the facial stuff -- which I suppose I can get over, but I'm a really big fan of animation when it's done right, so this kind of irks me a bit... but I'll get over it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm also watching Jessica Jones.

So far only saw the pilot, but it was good. I have to disagree as I thought there was alot of gratuity sex stuff that felt "thrown in" more than integral to the plot or realistic (yeah I know, superhero show? realistic? but work with me here).

The Purple Guy Tennant plays is the only character that's intriguing so far. Jessica Jones looks like she has potential but her "i'm so sarcastic and cool" lines can be so goddamn awful and cringey at times. Krysten Ritter is a great casting choice nonetheless, I hope she has better lines in the other episodes. And they do weird things like put the camera on the ground looking up or at one scene they focus on Jones through the crack of a door...focus on the doorknob...then back at her. Like, what's the point in that?

They're probably just being experimental or whatever, but it really could do without the bullshit. I like the whole neo-noir idea behind the show and it's good enough to make me keep watching.

EDIT:

Up to episode 5 now. The writing got much better and the characters feel more organically weaved into the narrative, which surprised me.

Me likely alot now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Ryuuji95 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 am

The Flash on THE CW.
Ryuuji95
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fury7493
XBL: HazukiXL64
Steam: AkiraXL64
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5: FS

Postby Kenny » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Master of None.

Aside from it being a really good show, I feel like it's really relevant to me. The characters are artistic types floating along in a big city occasionally blurting out "I'm 30 now" trying to get by life while dealing with everyday problems. Having just turned 30 and going through the next phase of my career, I find it oddly appropriate to be watching it.

It's like this generation's Seinfeld but actually interesting and funny.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic